By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China has just banned the burqa in its biggest Muslim city

padib said:
Samus Aran said:

A khalif is much more than just a religious leader, even from the very first khalif in history this was already established. Politics and religion are intertwined in Islam. That's a BIG reason why there are so many conflicts there.

In Europe there was always a seperation between state and Christianity (even though Christianity had a lot of political influence until the 20th century). 

I still don't see how it contradicts what I said.

The point I was trying to make is that people join violent causes for much more than religion, almost 90% of the time. Yes I pulled that number out of nowhere. What I'm saying is that people who join a violent fanatical cause is generally for questions of having a happier life, less frustration, more victory for what they feel they belong to (not necessarily religion but possibly people group).

The problem is you're trying to seperate politics and religion. Other than that, there's not much wrong with what you say. 

If Islamic countries could achieve seperation of state and religion they'd be much better off. Turkey is the only Islamic country that has achieved that. It's also the most civilized (although I don't like what Erdogan is doing there at the moment...). 

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

Well, in all fairness I DO think there actually was more than one khalif at certain points in history. And contrary to what was first intended, the khalifs formed their own dynasties.

And there hasn't always been a clear cut line between state and church in Europe; tahat's one of the characteristics of the middle ages.

Of course, hence the text between brackets lol. I could write an entire thesis about the relation between state and church in Europe, but I don't have that much time to waste on a forum! :) 

And yes, there have been multiple khalifs at certain points in history, just like there have been multiple popes. That's all pretty much self implied though, it always happens to huge empires. 

Samus Aran said:
padib said:
Samus Aran said:

A khalif is much more than just a religious leader, even from the very first khalif in history this was already established. Politics and religion are intertwined in Islam. That's a BIG reason why there are so many conflicts there.

In Europe there was always a seperation between state and Christianity (even though Christianity had a lot of political influence until the 20th century). 

I still don't see how it contradicts what I said.

The point I was trying to make is that people join violent causes for much more than religion, almost 90% of the time. Yes I pulled that number out of nowhere. What I'm saying is that people who join a violent fanatical cause is generally for questions of having a happier life, less frustration, more victory for what they feel they belong to (not necessarily religion but possibly people group).

The problem is you're trying to seperate politics and religion. Other than that, there's not much wrong with what you say. 

If Islamic countries could achieve seperation of state and religion they'd be much better off. Turkey is the only Islamic country that has achieved that. It's also the most civilized (although I don't like what Erdogan is doing there at the moment...). 

Maybe I'm a little ignorant here, but isn't Indonesia pretty civilized? And in theory, there's quite a few Islmic countries that have separated state and... mosque (?), like Egypt. BUT no doubt religion is still a VERY powerful influence in all these countries.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

padib said:
Samus Aran said:

Islam teaches a lot of very good things. There are parts of the religion that can empower psychotic people, but the majority of the religion is one of values and principles.

The problem here isn't the religion. The problem is that people are not being reasonable. If the people of these countries stopped abusing of each other, followed the majority of the Quran more carefully, and lived generally more gracious lives, the whole political landscape of the area would be completely different.

That's why I separate them.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree =) None of the Abrahamic religions are all that peaceful actually. They all feature and legitimzes violance and slavery. What's WRONG with religion is their Holy Books, and Islam has the Hadiths on top of that

Samus Aran said:

There has been much more conflict in this world between different movements of religion than religion vs. atheists. Suggesting otherwise is ridiculous. I don't see atheists blowing up mosques, churches or synagogues... 

But wherever atheists come to power the religious tend to suffer. The atheist government in China brutally persecutes adherents of Falun Gong. Given the white hot hostility a lot of western atheists have for religion, I don't think it's a stretch to say that many of them would do much the same here if they had the ability.

The problem with politicized religion is not the religion but the politics, and atheists surely aren't immune to that.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

Maybe I'm a little ignorant here, but isn't Indonesia pretty civilized? And in theory, there's quite a few Islmic countries that have separated state and... mosque (?), like Egypt. BUT no doubt religion is still a VERY powerful influence in all these countries.

Egypt is a militairy state from what I last heard. Turkey is the only real democracy, that's why I used it as an example. As for Indonesia, maybe, I don't know an awful lot about Indonesian politics. 

Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

Well, in all fairness I DO think there actually was more than one khalif at certain points in history. And contrary to what was first intended, the khalifs formed their own dynasties.

And there hasn't always been a clear cut line between state and church in Europe; tahat's one of the characteristics of the middle ages.

Of course, hence the text between brackets lol. I could write an entire thesis about the relation between state and church in Europe, but I don't have that much time to waste on a forum! :) 

And yes, there have been multiple khalifs at certain points in history, just like there have been multiple popes. That's all pretty much self implied though, it always happens to huge empires

Yeah, the whole dynamic of State and Religion is quite interesting. Do you know anything about how much Roman religion interfered in their politics? I think I heard something about it some time ago, but can't remember it.

To people saying they shouldn't ban it because it's oppressive......it's China, they regulate all manner of things that aren't restricted in more moderate countries.

There's only room for one religion in China and that's the Communist Party.

badgenome said:
Samus Aran said:

There has been much more conflict in this world between different movements of religion than religion vs. atheists. Suggesting otherwise is ridiculous. I don't see atheists blowing up mosques, churches or synagogues... 

But wherever atheists come to power the religious tend to suffer. The atheist government in China brutally persecutes adherents of Falun Gong. Given the white hot hostility a lot of western atheists have for religion, I don't think it's a stretch to say that many of them would do much the same here if they had the ability.

The problem with politicized religion is not the religion but the politics, and atheists surely aren't immune to that.

I would wager that most Scandinavian politicians are atheists today, and probably have been for quite some time, and we're doing quite well thank you =)

Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

Egypt is a militairy state from what I last heard. Turkey is the only real democracy, that's why I used it as an example. As for Indonesia, maybe, I don't know an awful lot about Indonesian politics. 

True dat! But sadly, it seems like Erdogan is pulling Turkey back into the Middle Ages again... Like you said before =)