By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China has just banned the burqa in its biggest Muslim city

Ruler said:
well china is atheist so its fair imo

I'm pretty sure a country can't have a religion  :p

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
DanneSandin said:

Yes, this seems familiar! The more I hear of these ancient religions, the more I appreciate them actually. And yes, the nobilis would almost certainly abuse the religious power to gain political power, but it seems to me it was in such a manor that I would almost describe it as the reverse of what we have today. If that makes sense? :P

I guess that was one of the great things with ancient religion (and ultimately, its greatest weakness) it wasn't orginazed it the same way as christianity or islam.

Bolded: that also rings a bell! Very handy actually :P And if I remember correct, didn't erly christians adopt some of the rituals? That's why we have quite a few of them in catholicism?

Christmas for example. :p

The Christmas tree as well.

Those I already knew ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

badgenome said:
DanneSandin said:

I would wager that most Scandinavian politicians are atheists today, and probably have been for quite some time, and we're doing quite well thank you =)

Well, they may be atheists but I think we both know that the state religion is actually political correctness. That's why a Christian preacher who denounces homosexuality runs the risk of prosecution for hate speech in Sweden while an imam who does the same is going to be left alone.

Indeed, and I think we're seeing a backlash to that now, for better or worse...

Lafiel said:

the problem is that burqas and niqabs are used as everyday clothing and refused to remove anywhere else than at home / as long as strangers are present

Male strangers.

OT: I don't think I agree with this. I feel like people should be able to do whatever they want unless it's causing harm. Even though I really hate those things and wish women would stop wearing them.

Edit: Also, they do reveal their faces whenever authoroties ask them to. 

DanneSandin said:

Indeed, and I think we're seeing a backlash to that now, for better or worse...

It's hard to say which. While I'm glad to see a pushback at long last, these things usually go from one extreme to the other.

Around the Network

What the hell? Hijabs too? I understand the niqabs. But how is a hijab any worse than a hat or something? Banning this in a place with half Muslim population? Yeah that'll go well

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

padib said:
DanneSandin said:

Yes, I agree that these religions have SOME good qualities, but I would argue that those are also found around the world regardless of religion, and even WITHOUT religion. The Abrahamic God is a cruel one with little sense of Morale, in my eyes at least. One great example of this is the story or Sodomon and Gomora; Lot (the ONLY good recident in this city) gets a visit from two Angels, and a mob then gathers around his house wanting to rape these two fellas. Instead Lot offers his virgin daughter (or if it were two of them?) for the mob to rape. That's real classy. That's the morale of the Bible. And do you know what the punishment of leaving the Islamic faith is? Death. How neat. Great morale ;)

I'm sorry if I sound a bit harsh and angry, that's absolutely not the case =) I just find these things interesting.

It's okay, you sound fine. I think that for every sick verse you will find a noble one.

As for Lot's action, I'm not willing to excuse it, and I'm not sure the bible excuses all actions that are described in it either. Lot may have been a righteous man, but so was David, and he took Uriah's wife in adultery with him, and had Uriah killed in the battlefield.

So being righteous doesn't excuse all your actions. Perhaps Lot's intention was noble but his actions were less. He may have intended to forbid a holy angel of God to be defiled, but perhaps his approach was wrong. It is difficult to judge since we don't know if there is a different offense between raping an angel and raping a human. It's a sick question, but let's remember the people in that land were sexually perverted.

Oh goodie ^^

Well, just because there is a good verse for every evil verse doesn't make the Bible a moraly right and good book. I mean, Hitler did some good things for Germany before he started WWII. Does that mean we could/should just forget all the (very) bad things he did? The same thing can probably be said about Stalin.

Going by Lot's actions, he was far from a good man, far from a good morale example. We could even take a look at God himself and deduce that it's a jealous and moraly corrupt God. What did he do to the first borns of Egypt when ONE Egytian refused to let the Jews go? He murdered a whole generation of innocent children. If that isn't sick, I don't know what is. With ll his might there would have been thousands of other ways to convince the Pharao to let the Jews go.

Good, more country's should follow in, we don't need to see any of those shits.

User was moderated for this post and others.

--Veknoid_Outcast

Lafiel said:
DanneSandin said:
FightingSmile said:
I agree with the banning of a piece of clothing that hides ones identity- its a matter of security basically no matter what religion people fall into. This may sound harsh but if people travel to other people countries (especially china) they should be expected to comply to their thoughts and actions towards these issues. This sounds similar to what TONY ABOTT was planning to do in AUS where he wanted to ban the burqua in parliament house but couldn't because the greens called "racism" etc.

I am like no, it could be a man behind that piece of clothing with bombs or something strapped to him.

Yes, but wouldn't it make more sense to ban ALL face masking then, and not just the burqas?

the problem is that burqas and niqabs are used as everyday clothing and refused to remove anywhere else than at home / as long as strangers are present

But wouldn't it make more sense to ban all the masking of the face? Not just burqas? No, as it is, they're targeting peoples religion and culture, and for no good reason. This way, anyone could walk around with a ski mask on, and it wouldn't be illegal, when that's the kind of practice they SHOULD gop after

I've always wanted to know why people were so adamant about banning the burqa or other muslim garb? Do they feel that if they ban it terrorism will stop and they'll be safer? Muslim terrorist who commit their crimes in western countries aren't wearing burqa's or other religious garb because it draws too much attention. They wear regular clothes you and I would be wearing to not draw attention.

Banning of religious garb is plain stupid in my opinion because it's targeting muslims who don't commit crimes. For example, i'm anti gun BUT I refuse to ever support a ban against guns because it's targeting the majority of gun owners who are upstanding citizens.

We've let the global media paint this picture that muslims are evil terrorist. The media wants us to be distracted by things like this while they cut deals behind the scenes and steal the wealth. I refuse to ever hate muslims for the acts of a very few bad apples because i'm not an evil person.