By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China has just banned the burqa in its biggest Muslim city

Mr.Playstation said:
I hate that thing. Makes women seem like third country citizens and it sucks. Anyways good for China, if their country was there for a specific race of people it should stay that way.

??????????

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network

Things like these only lead to more hate which is the core of the problem. We need to learn to just get along, no matter what other people believe, say or do (as long as nobody gets hurt that is).

Besides, when you punish a whole group for terrorist attacks, you'll very likely won't hit the people actually responsible for said attacks. Instead, you're pushing a whole lot of innocent people who did nothing bad at all. You make yourself many new enemies. But not a single new friend.

If the people can't get over different beliefs and thoughts, then humanity has failed.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Ka-pi96 said:
HigHurtenflurst said:
Ka-pi96 said:
padib said:

"and authorities in the Xinjiang city of Karamy barred anyone wearing burqas, niqabs, hijabs or simply “large beards” from taking public buses."

That's sad. Fundamental Islam can lead to violent fanaticism, but not all fundamentalists are fanatics.

It's another sign of increased religious intolerance around the world, and as a Christian I am against it, even if it doesn't affect my personal religion. Freedom is a value of many progressive countries. But none will stand against this.

It is pretty harsh (especially the large beards part), but it makes sense. If you think of it as separate from the religion then people covering their faces when they are in the streets isn't a good thing. They could very well be robbers or something, so from a security standpoint it does make sense.

I'm gonna have to stop going out in winter then.

That's.... a very good point.

I guess the main thing I was thinking about is sometimes women refuse to remove them when it is needed to see their faces. I did say it was kinda harsh, it probably could do with some altering, but in some cases it is understandable.

Not really got any point as soon as you enter a shop you'd be asked to take the scarf off at least therefore revieling your face

OdinHades said:
Things like these only lead to more hate which is the core of the problem. We need to learn to just get along, no matter what other people believe, say or do (as long as nobody gets hurt that is).

Besides, when you punish a whole group for terrorist attacks, you'll very likely won't hit the people actually responsible for said attacks. Instead, you're pushing a whole lot of innocent people who did nothing bad at all. You make yourself many new enemies. But not a single new friend.

If the people can't get over different beliefs and thoughts, then humanity has failed.

That's true but this will never happen be abuse of Islam, they believe that non believers are evil and not to be trusted, so the only people stopping that are themselves 

less spin... we dont talk about ali from the grill who drinks a beer when allah isnt watching, or aische who likes to wear a lot of makeup and skinny jeans to her Headscarf...
we are talking about hardcore islamistic women, who wear full boy pixellationbars.

Around the Network
Nem said:
I am not opposed to this.

I agree with some comments that say religion should be banned. Its true, it has served as an excuse for countless atrocities. Its hightime to see it come to a stop as we step into the future of civilization.

First of all, I'm oppossed to all religions as well, but banning them is not what a democratic sociaty does. That boarders to dictatorship, telling people what to believe. What we should do is to educate people (and perhaps most of all children) and just show them what kind of gods they worship.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Lafiel said:
DanneSandin said:

But this ban enables others to still wear a ski mask in a demonstration and behave like a dick and destroy public property. Thats even more negative than for a woman to wear a face mask. Thats why I said that NO ONE should be allowed to cover up their face. Not the muslim woman. Not the anarcist. Not anyone. Better to ban all masks rsther than just the religious ones, because thats a sure way to create an INtolarante multicultural situation

sounds like just banning masks in an official demonstration is a better solution there as masks itself aren't a big problem, as long as people don't wear them every day/most of the time

in china/asia it's also pretty normal to wear masks when you have a cold/fever/flu, to prevent it from spreading (or during times of heavy smog/sandstorms) - those alone still leave a person pretty identifiable though unlike a burqa or niqab

I'm sorry, but I do not understand where you are coming from. Shouldn't these "flu masks" also prevent people from interacting with each others, similar to how you argue that burqas should be banned because of this very same thing? Banning a specific religious garb is oppressing. I'm not surprised that China does it, but any democratic sociaty shouldn't. Better to ban ALL masks in that case.

DanneSandin said:

I'm sorry, but I do not understand where you are coming from. Shouldn't these "flu masks" also prevent people from interacting with each others, similar to how you argue that burqas should be banned because of this very same thing? Banning a specific religious garb is oppressing. I'm not surprised that China does it, but any democratic sociaty shouldn't. Better to ban ALL masks in that case.

typical flu mask:                                                           

I have nothing against the Hijab or the Chador other than that they make women look worse than non-veiled (sort of their purpose) and I don't agree with China banning those. But I don't consider the Niqab or Burqa "religious gear", as it's use is an enormously strict interpretation of some suras and hence it's only enforced in "fundamentalist" sects - it just takes the arabic tradition to seclude women from society to the extreme.

And as I said again, again, again and again, the problem I see is when people wear those every time they step outside of their houses, I can even accept niqab and burqa, if they were only used during the highest muslim holidays/ a few days a year, but they aren't.

Outside of muslim/arabic women wearing those special garbs (and maybe some small tribes I never heard of) hardly anyone/ only very few individuals mask their face in such an extreme way every day and towards pretty much everybody they encounter - an overwhelming part of the population realizes instinctively that showing your face is the minimum requirement to take part in society, so a ban to everything that masks the face (with probably exceptions based on special circumstances) is superfluous legislation.

Lafiel said:
DanneSandin said:

typical flu mask:                                                           

I have nothing against the Hijab or the Chador other than that they make women look worse than non-veiled (sort of their purpose) and I don't agree with China banning those. But I don't consider the Niqab or Burqa "religious gear", as it's use is an enormously strict interpretation of some suras and hence it's only enforced in "fundamentalist" sects - it just takes the arabic tradition to seclude women from society to the extreme.

And as I said again, again, again and again, the problem I see is when people wear those every time they step outside of their houses.

Outside of muslim/arabic women wearing those special garbs (and maybe some small tribes I never heard of) hardly anyone/ only very few individuals mask their face in such an extreme way every day and towards pretty much everybody they encounter - an overwhelming part of the population realizes instinctively that showing your face is the minimum requirement to take part in society, so a ban to everything that masks the face (with probably exceptions based on special circumstances) is superfluous legislation.

But shouldnt it be up to them if they wanna partake in the sociaty? If they choose to exclude themselves, shouldnt they be allowed to? Choosing not to vote in an election is in a small way to exclude oneself from sociaty. Shouldnt ppl have that right?

padib said:
Samus Aran said:

Islam is not one religion, there are different movements, hence muslims killing muslims. It's religious intolerance against religious people.

IS are also killing Christians in the Middle-East and other religions. 

There has been much more conflict in this world between different movements of religion than religion vs. atheists. Suggesting otherwise is ridiculous. I don't see atheists blowing up mosques, churches or synagogues... 

They (non-religious) may not express their intolerance with violence, but they express it with repression, fear and paranoia. With suppression and segregation.

ISIS are killing christians, but my point is that they are killing Shia. These are muslims. The issue is not one of religion. It's an issue of politics. The shia and sunni in the area ISIS is controlling have been tribes at odds, one repressing the other for political reasons.

This needs to be fully understood before putting the blame on religion.

I mostly agree with your point and in basics the religions are not the reasons for wars/fights/killing/slaugtherings, but you can see them as tools!
It sounds negative, but human beings always have used tools to rule other human beings and in the past religions have been setup to rule over 'their' people!