By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China has just banned the burqa in its biggest Muslim city

JWeinCom said:
"You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims. Doesn't work that way."

Uhhhhhh... when did I say every single muslim tried to force their religion on me?

Well everything was generalized on that sentence. "Others" So my example just went to you. My bad for the misunderstanding ^^;;;

Around the Network
padib said:
tiffac said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah... I'm an atheist, and I think the world would be better without religion.  But, the reason I dislike religion is because it is used to coerce people into acting and thinking in certain ways.  Coercing people to act in certain ways through legal and military force isn't any better.  

You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims.  Doesn't work that way.

See theres' the problem, you generalize everyone. Has every single muslim forced their religion on to you? No!

If we want to win this war against extremicism, we have to stop thinking like extremist. The reason the terrorist are getting fresh recruits is because we have started marginalizing people for their beliefs and even more so over the internet, and worse of all, we think this kind of talk in cyberspace doesn't carry over in the real world too. It does~

Also, every ideology can coerce people, the Cold War proved this among other things and money even more so, should we ban money too?

Lets stop making excuses to hate each other. Its the first step we should take, no one has the right to ban any belief or we will all end up being hypocrites when we say we support freedom.

I think he was trying to agree with you tiffac.

He was? Oh!... :/

Sorry the Chicago Bulls is losing the the Orlando Magic right now. I got caught up in the moment xD

tiffac said:
JWeinCom said:
"You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims. Doesn't work that way."

Uhhhhhh... when did I say every single muslim tried to force their religion on me?

Well everything was generalized on that sentence. "Others" So my example just went to you. My bad for the misunderstanding ^^;;;

All I was trying to say was that it's hypocritical to complain about muslims (not every one) trying to force their beliefs on others, but to then accept when the Chinese government tries to force their beliefs on others.  

JWeinCom said:
tiffac said:
JWeinCom said:

All I was trying to say was that it's hypocritical to complain about muslims (not every one) trying to force their beliefs on others, but to then accept when the Chinese government tries to force their beliefs on others.  

I know, I know my bad. This should teach me not to watch sports and post on serious discussions at the same time. It tends to misunderstanding something, especially when my team is losing. @_@

tiffac said:
JWeinCom said:
tiffac said:
JWeinCom said:

I know, I know my bad. This should teach me not to watch sports and post of serious discussions at the same time. It tends to misunderstanding something, especially when your team is losing. @_@

As a Jets fan, I can relate.

Around the Network

I'm honestly surprised China hadn't already done this, as their regime is sort of unofficially atheist, and they have a history of coming down hard on anything even resembling an act of public faith. Then again the Hui population is exceedingly small, distant from the center of power and very insular, so they may have seen them as insignificant.

JWeinCom said:

As a Jets fan, I can relate.

Oh man... you have it worse than me :(

"You must accept my rights to believe in whatever I want"
"Ban Islam"

I have such a tough time with this type of law because I'm conflicted.

1) On one hand I hate how we are so tolerant of immigrant cultures, and we lose our own culture and identity in the process of accepting others. On this hand I kind of feel it should be "If you want to come to our country, you should conform to our culture and leave yours at home". Or at the very least, keep your culture, but don't expect anyone else to support or embrace it....essentially just keep it private to your own home. 

But

2) On the other hand, I'm a proud libertarian. And I can't support the banning of something that isn't hurting anyone, and is just a pointless precautionary measure. It's against my beliefs to say people should be arbitrarily stopped from doing something that isn't hurting anyone else.

So in conclusion...I think the Chinese are dicks for enforcing this ban. Not because of religious tolerance and acceptance or whatever...but because the government shouldn't decide what you can and can't wear.

Why single out a specific religion? Ban all public displays of faith, I say. The sooner those hate mongering cults are removed from our world the better.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m