By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - China has just banned the burqa in its biggest Muslim city

Lafiel said:
DanneSandin said:
Lafiel said:

the problem is that burqas and niqabs are used as everyday clothing and refused to remove anywhere else than at home / as long as strangers are present

But wouldn't it make more sense to ban all the masking of the face? Not just burqas? No, as it is, they're targeting peoples religion and culture, and for no good reason. This way, anyone could walk around with a ski mask on, and it wouldn't be illegal, when that's the kind of practice they SHOULD gop after

the important part is "everyday" - these dresses are used everywhere outside of home/ outside of only women (maybe even only muslim women) meetings, which makes them inherently anti-social and anti-integrational, which imo can't be tolerated in a multicultural society (and I think even in a muslim-only society it's pretty detrimental)

I haven't heard of a case where a person wears a ski mask or any non-prosthetic mask everyday he refuses to put off outside of very special circumstances and if such a person exists he will suffer consequences on a personal level for that, so legislation against that practice seems unnecessary to me

But this ban enables others to still wear a ski mask in a demonstration and behave like a dick and destroy public property. Thats even more negative than for a woman to wear a face mask. Thats why I said that NO ONE should be allowed to cover up their face. Not the muslim woman. Not the anarcist. Not anyone. Better to ban all masks rsther than just the religious ones, because thats a sure way to create an INtolarante multicultural situation

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

But this ban enables others to still wear a ski mask in a demonstration and behave like a dick and destroy public property. Thats even more negative than for a woman to wear a face mask. Thats why I said that NO ONE should be allowed to cover up their face. Not the muslim woman. Not the anarcist. Not anyone. Better to ban all masks rsther than just the religious ones, because thats a sure way to create an INtolarante multicultural situation

sounds like just banning masks in an official demonstration is a better solution there as masks itself aren't a big problem, as long as people don't wear them every day/most of the time

in china/asia it's also pretty normal to wear masks when you have a cold/fever/flu, to prevent it from spreading (or during times of heavy smog/sandstorms) - those alone still leave a person pretty identifiable though unlike a burqa or niqab

I am not opposed to this.

I agree with some comments that say religion should be banned. Its true, it has served as an excuse for countless atrocities. Its hightime to see it come to a stop as we step into the future of civilization.

Mr.Playstation said:
I hate that thing. Makes women seem like third country citizens and it sucks. Anyways good for China, if their country was there for a specific race of people it should stay that way.

You do realize Han Chinese weren't native to this part of China. The steppe peoples who live there (and happen to be muslim) have lived there for thousands of years. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cr%C3%BCmqi#History

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghur_people

Yay for actually knowing history, before making racist statements!!! 

padib said:
Nem said:
I am not opposed to this.

I agree with some comments that say religion should be banned. Its true, it has served as an excuse for countless atrocities. Its hightime to see it come to a stop as we step into the future of civilization.

Nem, in that case humanity should be banned because in general humans do aweful things, in the name of religion or not.

Remember, religion is a set of ideas. We all have ideas, some are good, some are bad, some are religious, some are not. People are free to own the ideas they prefer, that can't be controlled, unless you want to live in that kind of world where people aren't free to think and choose freely, without needing the approval of an authority.

They are not ideas, they are irrational beliefs. I dont see a problem in freedom of thought and speech at all, but these religions atempt to impose themselves over everyone else, often spreading irrational commandments to prevent its extinction aswell as to enforce its views.

Having ideas is all nice and dandy, but keep them to yourself, basically. 

Religion was something used to bring order to a chaotic world where a means of enforcement was necessary. Nowadays information flows easily, police forces can cope with the reduced criminality and courts bring justice and garantee punishment to infractors. There is no more need for religion. Its nefarious self-preservation and spread policies bring more harm than they bring good. They also can't continue to exist as peaceful doctrines while that aspect isnt taken care of, and quite honestly, we know it never will. Maybe its time to create a new religion that keeps up with the times and isnt an excuse for extreme behaviour and get rid of the old ones.

It would be best for religious people to bring this reform themselves instead of trying to pretend there is nothing wrong and it will go away.

Around the Network
Nem said:

Having ideas is all nice and dandy, but keep them to yourself, basically. 

Yeah beause that is what freedom of speech is all about. lol 

Wow! I'm shock at the comments here basic human rights just went out the window and its being supported because of intolerance against religion.

So much for freedom. So much for going into the future and having progressive thinking.

Oh wait this is China my bad. Everything that goes against human rights is acceptable.

tiffac said:

Wow! I'm shock at the comments here basic human rights just went out the window and its being supported because of intolerance against religion.

So much for freedom. So much for going into the future and having progressive thinking.

Oh wait this is China my bad. Everything that goes against human rights is acceptable.

Yeah... I'm an atheist, and I think the world would be better without religion.  But, the reason I dislike religion is because it is used to coerce people into acting and thinking in certain ways.  Coercing people to act in certain ways through legal and military force isn't any better.  

You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims.  Doesn't work that way.

JWeinCom said:
tiffac said:

Yeah... I'm an atheist, and I think the world would be better without religion.  But, the reason I dislike religion is because it is used to coerce people into acting and thinking in certain ways.  Coercing people to act in certain ways through legal and military force isn't any better.  

You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims.  Doesn't work that way.

See theres' the problem, you generalize everyone. Has every single muslim forced their religion on to you? No!

If we want to win this war against extremicism, we have to stop thinking like extremist. The reason the terrorist are getting fresh recruits is because we have started marginalizing people for their beliefs and even more so over the internet, and worse of all, we think this kind of talk in cyberspace doesn't carry over in the real world too. It does~

Also, every ideology can coerce people, the Cold War proved this among other things and money even more so, should we ban money too?

Lets stop making excuses to hate each other. Its the first step we should take, no one has the right to ban any belief or we will all end up being hypocrites when we say we support freedom.

"You can't act outraged when muslims try to force their beliefs on others, then accept it when others force their beliefs on muslims. Doesn't work that way."

Uhhhhhh... when did I say every single muslim tried to force their religion on me?