By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U drought 2K15, who is to blame this year?

sc94597 said:

I can't really think of a multiplatform game I want coming out in Q1 on the other consoles, except The Witcher 3, and I just found out it was delayed to May, so there goes that. Although I might get Total War: Atilla and/or Evolve if I'm not busy with other games/school. The only home console that seems to be getting attention is the PS4 and even then it is only getting, The Order:1886, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Bloodborne. The difference is that the other consoles have a backlog from Q4 last year, while the Wii U doesn't.  The rest of the PS4/XBONE games are rematers of last gen games or just low-quality, and nobody would buy them anyway if they were on the Wii U. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 could've been a good hit, but it is going to be episodic, making it more of a diversion than anything else. Q1 is usually the worst quarter for game releases. Everybody has spent their releases on Q4 of last year to get the holiday sales, console sales will be down regardless so games won't boost them much, and the only games that really release are the ones that couldn't be fixed in time for Q4. I think Sony is uniquely releasing a lot of its exclusives early on just so that they don't compete with multiplatform games, and that is probably why the PS4 has a nice Q1 this year. 

I would argue that Q1 is typically just as good as Q2. Q3 is normally slightly better due to September. 

You could argue that it's "low quality" for your tastes but that's an opinion. As far as quantity goes, Q1 isn't bad at all. That's all we can measure by for general public standards. 

All I know is, by the end of March, these new games will be added to the PS4 library: Dying Light, Evolve, Dragon Ball Xenoverse, The Order, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Project Cars, Battlefield, Bloodborne, MLB 15. That's without counting the enhanced ports.

Wii U probably will have more coming in Q1 that hasn't been given a release date but for now, Kirby alone can't compete from a overall lineup point of view.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Their is likely to be a Nintendo Direct later this month along with their quarterly fiscal report. Either of these events could give us release dates for upcoming titles.

Currently there are a few titles with tentative first half of 2015 dates like Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker and Splatoon, plus the developers of Devil's Third recently said the game is close to being done. I would wait until the end of the month before saying their is a drought.

4 games for the first half of the wiiU's 3rd year is not acceptable.  The system should have more games than you can possibly play not a total number you can easily play.  How many retail wiiU games released in 2014 in America?  Give me a rough 

Clearly u don't know what a software drought is, going multiple months without key software. Having 4-5, 1st/2nd party exclusives over a span of  6 months is not a drought

It's the systems 3rd year, people should have their expectations in check by now, we all know Wii U doesn't get 3rd party support meaning only 1st/2nd party exclusives.

Like I said, we need to wait until a Nintendo Direct/quarterly report before we claim a drought is happening.

Having really low expectations doesn't excuse lack of games. What Wii U games release in the next 3 months?

Read both of my posts u quoted, we will know at the end of the month in either a Nintendo Direct or their quarterly report.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Their is likely to be a Nintendo Direct later this month along with their quarterly fiscal report. Either of these events could give us release dates for upcoming titles.

Currently there are a few titles with tentative first half of 2015 dates like Yoshi's Woolly World, Mario Maker and Splatoon, plus the developers of Devil's Third recently said the game is close to being done. I would wait until the end of the month before saying their is a drought.

4 games for the first half of the wiiU's 3rd year is not acceptable.  The system should have more games than you can possibly play not a total number you can easily play.  How many retail wiiU games released in 2014 in America?  Give me a rough 

Clearly u don't know what a software drought is, going multiple months without key software. Having 4-5, 1st/2nd party exclusives over a span of  6 months is not a drought

It's the systems 3rd year, people should have their expectations in check by now, we all know Wii U doesn't get 3rd party support meaning only 1st/2nd party exclusives.

Like I said, we need to wait until a Nintendo Direct/quarterly report before we claim a drought is happening.

Having really low expectations doesn't excuse lack of games. What Wii U games release in the next 3 months?

Read both of my posts u quoted, we will know at the end of the month in either a Nintendo Direct or their quarterly report.

So no confirmed dates for January February and March.  OK thanks 

What to blame? 2015 is going to be a fantastic if not stellar year for the Wii U.

sc94597 said:

Yeah, if we take all releases on all platforms it looks like a lot of games, but some of those years you listed are pretty crappy for individual platforms, and considering that people probably only like a subset of the games released it'll feel like a drought for everyone. And do remember, the years you cited were  the end of the last generation when all the publishers are trying to wrap up their games and release new ones: releases are going to be higher overall, meaning fewer droughts overall. 

Sure if you only enjoy 5 games a year, then every year will look like a drought.
I only listed the most popular games and not necessarily the best nor did I include any digital games. The list could be easily three times as long. All of them worth playing.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:
Kerotan said:
zorg1000 said:

So no confirmed dates for January February and March.  OK thanks 

Just Kirby in February, but they have a few games with first half of 2015 placeholder dates. Nintendo usually announces release dates very close to launch, for example, Smash Bros got its release date announced just over a month before launch.

Splatoon

Mario Maker

Yoshi's Woolly World

These 3 titles have "first half of 2015" placeholders along with Devil's Third devs saying the game was nearly complete and hinted at an announcement coming soon.

I'm not sure if ur going to ignore this post as well but saying Wii U has a drought is very premature.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kerotan said:

Kirby is the only retail game that comes to mind. I think Yoshi is still a few months  away probably released early summer or late spring.

Jumping the gun is a thing gamers do, I guess.

Have to agree with Skullwaker. I don't think it's worth judging when Nintendo can easily just announce games out of nowhere in a Direct any time soon. I guess it would still be bad considering there would still only be a few more than 2, but it's not like they aren't trying. Nintendo is still obviously to blame because you can't blame anybody else, but I think the article sort of makes it seem worse than it actually is and it doesn't help they never listed them. What Vita games are they? Are most of them indie titles? which ones will even appeal to Japan? so much to take into consideration. 3DS has half as much as Vita and their announcement of Puzzles and Dragons: Super Mario Bros Edition just got Japanese gamers hyped and Nintendo's stocks shot up, what has any of these Vita games done?

Not shitting on Vita because I like it, but it just seems like an article where people will become quickly to judge and will bitch about one console while praising the other. Rather wait and see.

I know a lot of people are talking about how Wii U owners don't buy 3rd party Wii U games but if you've been paying attention to game sales of 3rd party games there are 3rd party games creeping towards 1 million. Zombi U is over 800k now. Lego City Undercover is closing in on 900k copies as well. Hyrule Warriors is over 820k games sold. Even TW101 which everyone claimed was a sales disaster is over 300k copies now not including DD from the eshop. Is there a sales drought in the next few months? Maybe. But it gives everyone more time to check out the great 3rd party games that Wii U already has in its library. I know my collection grows all the time this way.