By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U drought 2K15, who is to blame this year?

bananaking21 said:
Cobretti2 said:

There are 8million Wii Us out there now.

you dont need every game to sell 8milllion to make a profit. If games bought games hell even 1-2million of them then 3rd parties would also stick around.

Look when PS4 launched it had ZERO userbase gamers bought the system and also supported the games. They didn't go out and just buy Sony 1st party games.

the reality of the matter is that most WiiU owners probably had another console. and since WiiU really gave them no advantages to buy the games on the system, they bought the other third parties on their other console. it was nintendos fault for not providing any meaningful advantage. you cant blame shitty sales on the consumer, its the most preposterous claim i heard for a failed product ever. the company needs to provide a desirable product, and thats nintendos job

And whos fault is it that the Wii U version offered no advantage? It is the developers.

Most those games that sold very shit had missing content come late and at full cost compared to the other platforms.  Or were late ports. Why would a person rebuy a late port on Wii U if they already owned it in PS360? 

The sad part is those devs who tried to be unique on the Wii U with exclusives (i.e. Ubisoft with their launch period games like Zombie U and even Rayman Legends and good ports like Dues Ex) resulted in bugger all sales but rather excuses from gamers why they didn't buy them.

As I said I am not expecting HUGE sales but you must admit there is enough of an audience on Wii U that should result in more million sellers but sadly no 3rd party got there.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Ok game at best.

See, that's the kind of mentality that makes the WiiU have a drought in 2015.

I am sorry I I have no time and no money for average games. I only play the best games or the one I find very appealing. I'd rather have a few elites games per year than 20 average.

sc94597 said:
Since when has the first quarter been a big one for game releases?

March has always been rather big and February also sees some good releases.

Q1 2014
Rayman Legends
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare
Thief
South Park Stick of Truth
Titanfall
Dark Souls 2
MGS V Ground Zeroes
Infamous Second Son
Diablo III Reaper of Souls

Q1 2013
DevilMayCry
Dead Space 3
Crysis 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Tomb Raider
God of War Ascension
Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm
Lego City Undercover
Gears of War Judgment
Bioshock Infinite

Q1 2012
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Soul Calibur V
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Resident Evil Revelations
Vita launch
Street Fighter X Tekken
Mass Effect 3

Q1 2011
Dead Space 2
LittleBigPlanet 2
Killzone 3
Bulletstorm
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Pokemon Black/White
Dragon Age 2
Total War Shogun 2
Crysis 2
Homefront
3DS launch
Need For Speed Shift 2

Wright said:
Materia-Blade said:

what you just said makes no sense at all. zombi u sold well and where did you take the "zombi argument".

ZombiU should have sold three millions, but instead it almost reached just one million. Clearly WiiU owners aren't interested in zombie games.

I really love Zombiu, one of the best game of generation, but you can't expect survival horror game to have around 35% attach rate.

And yes Wii U owners love ZombiU, its best selling 3rd party game on Wii U.

Lucas-Rio said:

I am sorry I I have no time and no money for average games. I only play the best games or the one I find very appealing. I'd rather have a few elites games per year than 20 average.

So would I

To be fair, you can get a few elite games per year on all 3 consoles

Around the Network
Wright said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Ok game at best.

See, that's the kind of mentality that makes the WiiU have a drought in 2015.

wii u doesn't have a drought in 2015 and anyone can think the game is good/bad/ok...

Slarvax said:
We have a ton of games announced for this year, all without release date. Wait for a Nintendo Direct before trying to blame someone.

This.  Was gonna make a similar post, but this one will do nicely. :)

I think that for people to complain that Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, and Kirby aren't enough for the first five months of the year, are really hard to please.  We might even be getting more games than that between now and the start of summer.

Again, it's a problem of people complaining about something that hasn't happened yet.  No one knows what exactly is releasing for Wii U between now and E3, except for Kirby, because that's the only game at the moment that has a set day. 

I'm all for complaints once the release schedule is set, and it's barren.  There's no reason to assume that at this point, though.  It's early January, and Nintendo and all the other developers are just now coming back from holiday.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Lucas-Rio said:

I think that people will have to accept the fact that the Wii U is a console with a few elites, very high quality games per year and not a console you will buy one (often disappointing) AAA game per month.

There are also some small scales project like Captain Toad, Splatoon and Kirby , the kind of 6/10 or 7/10 games that some people can enjoy if they like the style.

Captain Toad is 81% on metacritic... Splatoon doesn't look like a 6/10 to me lol.

Lucas-Rio said:

I think that people will have to accept the fact that the Wii U is a console with a few elites, very high quality games per year and not a console you will buy one (often disappointing) AAA game per month.

There are also some small scales project like Captain Toad, Splatoon and Kirby , the kind of 6/10 or 7/10 games that some people can enjoy if they like the style.

Why do you think Splatoon is a small scale project?  All of the information released so far about the game suggests that it's being treated as a full AAA retail release.  And I think you're giving Captain Toad less credit than it deserves... the game was reviewed very highly.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

*Sound Of Rain said:
sc94597 said:
Since when has the first quarter been a big one for game releases?

Not to jump on the Wii U hate train but Q1 actually looks pretty strong for the XBone & esspecially PS4

This actually is typically the case. Q1 has always been quite good for everyone but Nintendo 

I can't really think of a multiplatform game I want coming out in Q1 on the other consoles, except The Witcher 3, and I just found out it was delayed to May, so there goes that. Although I might get Total War: Atilla and/or Evolve if I'm not busy with other games/school. The only home console that seems to be getting attention is the PS4 and even then it is only getting, The Order:1886, Final Fantasy Type-0 and Bloodborne. The difference is that the other consoles have a backlog from Q4 last year, while the Wii U doesn't.  The rest of the PS4/XBONE games are rematers of last gen games or just low-quality, and nobody would buy them anyway if they were on the Wii U. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 could've been a good hit, but it is going to be episodic, making it more of a diversion than anything else. Q1 is usually the worst quarter for game releases. Everybody has spent their releases on Q4 of last year to get the holiday sales, console sales will be down regardless so games won't boost them much, and the only games that really release are the ones that couldn't be fixed in time for Q4. I think Sony is uniquely releasing a lot of its exclusives early on just so that they don't compete with multiplatform games, and that is probably why the PS4 has a nice Q1 this year.