By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo isn't what it used to Be

jlmurph2 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Halo is the reason for midnight releases at stores. That is all. When a new halo launches on a new console its generally pretty big. Let Halo 3 be your guide. People like a next gen Halo and it will sell consoles. Its up to Microsoft and 343 to keep people into Halo. 2015 will outsell 2014, mark my words. Halo will be the driving console seller and Black friday will be bigger, because Microsoft knows just how to market a big shooter.

He seems to forget those inevitable Halo custom console bundles that come out for the main games.

I didn't forget anything :p I just don't believe that a single title is capable of guaranteeing an a consoles will have an overall good year, especially when it's not out for most of it. The same can be said of pretty much any exclusive series.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
jlmurph2 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Halo is the reason for midnight releases at stores. That is all. When a new halo launches on a new console its generally pretty big. Let Halo 3 be your guide. People like a next gen Halo and it will sell consoles. Its up to Microsoft and 343 to keep people into Halo. 2015 will outsell 2014, mark my words. Halo will be the driving console seller and Black friday will be bigger, because Microsoft knows just how to market a big shooter.

He seems to forget those inevitable Halo custom console bundles that come out for the main games.

I didn't forget anything :p I just don't believe that a single title is capable of guaranteeing an a consoles will have an overall good year, especially when it's not out for most of it. The same can be said of pretty much any exclusive series.

Halo is Xbox

Xbox is Halo

It's just that simple

People that were in high school and college for the Halo 1 and 2 era are now in their 30s with careers and kids. I think that some games are overexposed (COD), but Halo may have actually suffered by a little bit of underexposure.

Just talking mainline games, Xbox OG had two Halo titles in the system's lifespan of '01-'05. 360 had two Halo titles in a dramatically larger lifespan of '06-'13 (just talking about how gen7 is primarily an also-ran at this point). The really big Halo fans will be on board, but truth be told, I think that number will decline. So we should expect somewhere between MCC and Halo 4 numbers for Halo 5.

It will sell a lot, but the time is way past done since it is a record-buster like the days of 2 and 3, or even 4.

I think if it had stuck to roughly a bi-annual mainline release schedule, it would have retained more energy. If you wait too long, anticipation turns to ambivalence or even antipathy. You end up with a cult-like hardcore that INSIST on a bunch of things that become dated and off-putting to new players, and that results in games that are a mixed bag for everyone. To the old die-hards it's 'not authentic enough', whereas to the 15yo who is awaiting the next FPS bloodbath twitchfest 'it's too old fashioned'. I recently talked to a new Xbox One owner who had no idea that there was an Xbox before the 360. To him, the 360 was ancient, and the PS4, PC, and WiiU were (expletive-laden tirade removed). He loves Ghosts and AW, hated MCC.

jlmurph2 said:
So what's Xbox's premier exclusive?

Gears of war?

Angelus said:
Zekkyou said:

Halo is Xbox

Xbox is Halo

It's just that simple

Of course, but again, the release of a Halo title on its own isn't enough to guarantee a full year of good sales.

Around the Network

Anyway it will be great but they better make sure to not screw things, 8m + is guaranteed

iTzCharlie said:
I play Halo only for the single player so I don't care about online problems

Ditto

Halo 5 will still sell incredibly well, but I agree that it's looking like a follower rather than a leader in FPS.

My 8th gen collection

KLXVER said:
The Halo franchise aint what it used to be....aint what it used to be....aint what it used to be...

I bought my Xbox with Halo and it was glorious.  Halo 2 followed and it was very validating.  I became nostalgic years later when I saw youtube clips of Halo 3 so I picked up a 360 to play it and then eventually spent hours and hours playing multiplayer on Reach.  The action was always good as gameplay is what sold me on these games.  There was a disturbing trend to listen to the MLG folks and people who wanted a faster experience.  Now that might be fun for some, but it wasn't fun for me.  Is that what the majority wants?  Is that where this franchise is destined?  Perhaps the people making creative decisions are too close to the people who are keeping the books.  

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

slab_of_bacon said:
KLXVER said:
The Halo franchise aint what it used to be....aint what it used to be....aint what it used to be...

I bought my Xbox with Halo and it was glorious.  Halo 2 followed and it was very validating.  I became nostalgic years later when I saw youtube clips of Halo 3 so I picked up a 360 to play it and then eventually spent hours and hours playing multiplayer on Reach.  The action was always good as gameplay is what sold me on these games.  There was a disturbing trend to listen to the MLG folks and people who wanted a faster experience.  Now that might be fun for some, but it wasn't fun for me.  Is that what the majority wants?  Is that where this franchise is destined?  Perhaps the people making creative decisions are too close to the people who are keeping the books.  

Not the majority, the minority. They balance out what the community wants with the pro gamers who actually excell and get paid to play their games. Games today have to be tweaked so newbs can enjoy the game, but pro's can still enjoy it. I thought reaches system was the worst, but I forgot about it in Halo 4. I'm glad Halo 5 looks like its going back moreso to the older way of doing things. Keeps it more competitive without any bull.