By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo isn't what it used to Be

JayWood2010 said:

If you read what i said you will notice i said Halo mainline.  And sure it is, WiiU is not Wii.  Mainline Mario does not, and has never consistently sold 8m+ and the last three shows that, just like Gamecube showed that as well.

And you have a tendency of being very nitpicky with people's comments.  If you know what somebody means then don't go off course.  If you said "Rethink things" then i wouldnt have replied, but you included handhelds which i know you knew he wasnt talking about, and you know the reasons why.  Youre intelligent so dont nitpick everything people says and reply to them for what it does say.

And he also wasnt really wrong as ive said.  There is three exclusive franchises that perform on this level.  2/3 has dropped off in the last year.  We dont know where Halo 5 will be.  Id guess 6-9m lifetime

His original statement was wrong. It's as simple as that. Even if i assumed he wasn't including handhelds, it would still be wrong. The fact all this dancing around is necessary to justify his comment highlights to me how poorly worded it was. You might see it as "nitpicky", but i don't. All i did was point out that he might want to rethink his wording.

Regardless, this has gone completely off-topic and frankly all this context dancing is tiring. Believe as you wish ^^

Around the Network
Emperorbach said:

Halo is a massive gaming franchise created by Bungie 

However Halo for me isn't as powerful a brand as it used to be , first there was Halo 4 , then The MCC issues , and now Halo 5 , don't get me wrong it looks and plays amazing but you can't deny it the pace , speed and some features added feel like Titanfall and COD , and you know what thats not a bad thing , the FPS market has changed people need faster paced games , or at least that what the market wants , Halo's problem is that it no longer a genre defining leader of fps on consoles , when Halo games at least from 1 to 3 landed they felt fresh and innovative , thats gone now , and people have started moving to other fps franchises. Halo is no longer the premier title of xbox , it is among 1st party but in general i feel the winds have shifted and Halo isn't as primary a motivator as before in getting an XBox

Personally I feel halo 5 will sell and do amazingly well but I can't see it cracking 6.5million sales Life to date , it could as it's halo but i think the market and times and change 

( i know this necro bump material of the year )

I cannot disagree more with you. I'm a huge Halo fan (not Bungie fan) and for me, while Bungie created a nice universe, Microsoft make it a great franchise, not Bungie.

For me:

Halo 1 - Awesome
Halo 2 - Awesomer
Halo 3 - Great
Halo 3: ODST - Awesome
Halo Reach: Meh
Halo 4: Awesomer

And looking at the Halo 5 beta I have huge hope for an "Awesomer" :)

When you say Halo 5 is getting away from Halo to mimic COD or Titanfall, I can agree to some extend but at the same time, I Halo 5 feel a LOT more Haloesque than Halo Reach for instance. Also, I think you are taking this the wrong way, you make sounds like it is bad for Halo to adopt some very nice modern features from other FPS. I HATED armor abilities (thanks Bungie for that) but I loved sprint/dash and the punch thing, imo 343 is doing a better job than Bungie with the franchise and for me Halo 5 is going to be huge success.

First Halo game on Xbox One, first Halo game on next gen console, back to the root with true arena-like gameplay, removal of the stupid armor abilities, etc... Halo 5 is going to sell way more than 6.5m life time

l33t_haxx0r said:

its the same, it sucked back then and it sucks now. 

User warned for this comment -RavenXtra

Really? Warned?

I bet money if I said this about Uncharted or Zelda in a thread about either of those franchises I'd be banned in like 5 minutes

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zekkyou said:

It would certainly surprise me. A major home console being down YOY between its 1st and 2nd full year is very rare.

When Halo comes out the Xbox will have a good year.

Halo itself won't guarantee it has a good overall year (it likley doesn't release until the final quater after all), but its release will certainly make the chances of it being down YOY in 2015 drop from "really unlikley" to "lol no"

Having played nothing but Halo MCC campaign over the holidays and this week I decided to unwrap my copy of Destiny and give it a go.

Let me tell you the transition has not been good, any complaint about Halo story is gone after playing Destiny. Destiny doesn't even bother trying to create a story, it's just throw the right into the action while without never really explaining anything. The fighting system may be decent in Destiny, I do enjoy the FPS-RPG type system, but one major flaw is how shallow the experience quickly become being stuck using the same gun for the entire missions. To make matter worst Destiny firefight are design to be played in group of 2-3, but since I have no friends playing Destiny and the game doesn't have any group match making this is very frustrating especially once you wonder off and get into an area above your current level. The game kept giving me new mission above my level and it became a very slow grind to clear any room.

I'm only level 8, hopefully the game open up but boy let me tell you I miss HALO. After playing Destiny and remembering the blast I had playing Halo MCC (put in over 100 hrs already).... I am super hype for Halo 5. I played quite a bit of the Halo 5 Beta, 343 is going to nail the multiplayer experience this time around. It's already so much better then the Halo 4 MP. The new ability are really easy to get accustom and I really enjoy that every playing on the same level playing field.

If anything Halo 5 now has the potential to be better then even Halo 2. Halo 4 made by 343 is by far the best Single player Halo. Now, they seem to have really done an amazing job on the multiplayer.

I think the OP is wrong Halo is going to be bigger then it's ever been.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:

I cannot disagree more with you. I'm a huge Halo fan (not Bungie fan) and for me, while Bungie created a nice universe, Microsoft make it a great franchise, not Bungie.

For me:

Halo 1 - Awesome
Halo 2 - Awesomer
Halo 3 - Great
Halo 3: ODST - Awesome
Halo Reach: Meh
Halo 4: Awesomer

While simple and ignoring a numerical score, I'd mostly agree with those ratings.

I feel like the franchise peaked with Halo 2. Halo 3 was just such a let down for me, bungie played it way too safe. I skipped ODST, and Halo: Reach was exactly that"meh".

I haven't played Halo 4, and it does seem to have a divided reaction amongst posters;  some love it, others aren't too fond of it. However, Halo 5 looks like it might be a return to form and may be able to rekindle that classic Halo 2 multiplayer feel. If it weren't for the problems with the MCC, I'd have an Xbox One already, but I think the launch of Halo 5 will be my time to pick one up.

JayWood2010 said:
I do want to throw this out there as well. Im pretty sure, digital included, the last 3 halo games has sold 10m each.

Pretty sure it's basically garunteed. Reach is at around 9.5m here right? And halo 4 while it says 9 I have my doubts. Right before 4 came out ms announced that 44million halo games have been sold. Right before MCC they announced 60 million. So 16 million people got halo in that timeframe. Sure not all where halo 4 but probably more than 9m.

And regards to this topic. People said the same about halo 3, reach and 4. But guess what they are all 10 million sellers. This isn't the first time people have said halo was on the decline and deffinatly won't be the last. 

Sales including digital estimates*

Halo 3 12 million+

Reach 10 million+

Halo 4 10 million+

A betting man would put halo 5 at about 10 million. But of course our experts will come in and say 5 million, 6.5 million, and 7.5 just like before. 

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

darkenergy said:
Halo 5 will sell 10 million units.

only 1 Halo game has sold that much and that was on a machine that came at about the same time in the lifespan of 360.  Could see it happening depending on when Halo 6 comes.  Unless of course you count digital then the last 3 probably.  Still a much smaller install base than the last 2 and a system that almost certainly won't sell as well as 360

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I think Halo is still a smash hit like it has always been.

Can anyone goddam tel me what the issue is with Halo 4? I'm a Halo vet and I think it's the best of the bunch!