By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - xenoblade x visuals getting better

Materia-Blade said:

the xenoblade screenshots are ingame.

curl seems to disagree with you.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't feel the need to state the obvious.

Either way until the game actually releases, we really shouldn't be comparing screenshots which cannot accurately be attributed to ingame, in engine, or FMV, and certainly not using tiny images as in the OP, along with lossy then and now comparison shots.

Just doesn't make sense.

We don't really need a forensic analysis though to conclude that the claim that the characters are PS2 caliber is ridiculous.

curl-6 said:

We don't really need a forensic analysis though to conclude that the claim that the characters are PS2 caliber is ridiculous.

Indeed they are rediculous, and at the same time, the comaprisons using entirely different artstyles are rediculous.

bey hey, this is vgc after all.

Tachikoma said:
Materia-Blade said:

I don't understand what you mean or it's relation to this thread.

it's been a long standing argument on these forums, that "in-engine" and "in-game" graphics quality differences are not the same thing, and that using in-engine cutscene graphics as "proof" of a games graphical prowess is misleading.

If that's the case, it should be the same for all consoles.

who's talking about in-engine? the images we've seen from xenoblade (and any other nintendo games) use in-game graphics, cutscene or not.

games on other consoles tend to make cutscenes that look better than ingame, but that doesn't apply to this thread for the above reasons.

Materia-Blade said:

who's talking about in-engine? the images we've seen from xenoblade (and any other nintendo games) use in-game graphics, cutscene or not.

games on other consoles tend to make cutscenes that look better than ingame, but that doesn't apply to this thread for the above reasons.

Games that use their own engine for cutscenes generally employ higher quality AA, effects and DOF because the limited field of view permits more controlled usage of power, that's the same for all consoles, and none of us in this thread can say for absolute certainty that the image curl shared is in-game quality or in-cutscene.
Not until the game is actually out, anyway.

Around the Network

Game world looks good, but the game has some of the butt ugliest character design ever, so I wouldn't agree with people saying that characters look like PS2 characters from a technical standpoint but I'd say that there are definitely PS2 games that had way better character design e.g. FFX or Resident Evil 4 like already mentioned, which just makes them look better.

XCX characters are designed to look like the most cliche Anime characters ever and I hate that.

Tachikoma said:
Materia-Blade said:

Games that use their own engine for cutscenes generally employ higher quality AA, effects and DOF because the limited field of view permits more controlled usage of power, that's the same for all consoles, and none of us in this thread can say for absolute certainty that the image curl shared is in-game quality or in-cutscene.
Not until the game is actually out, anyway.

wrong. all of us can say for certain that the images are ingame quality. we have already seem direct feed  from cutscenes and non cutscenes and the graphics look the same.

Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Indeed they are rediculous, and at the same time, the comaprisons using entirely different artstyles are rediculous.

bey hey, this is vgc after all.

While I didn't make the image comparison myself, comparing Final Fantasy to Xenoblade didn't seem that huge aesthetic disparity to me. RE4's a bit more out there, but I get the feeling that was chosen for technical reasons.

Still, frankly the whole thing is a bit silly in the first place. I can completely understand one finding the character design unappealing, but classing it with the PS2 is going a bit far.

Me in this thread.

Materia-Blade said:

wrong. all of us can say for certain that the images are ingame quality. we have already seem direct feed  from cutscenes and non cutscenes and the graphics look the same.

Sorry, I've been a games developer and gamer long enough not to buy into that line of thinking without solid "running on the system in front of me" proof.