By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So ps4 is overtracked.. lets talk!

What is your reaction?

People where pushing sales numbers to far! 64 22.30%

Sony is wrong, def 20 million! 46 16.03%

18.5 million is still good! 142 49.48%

See results... 33 11.50%

Total:285

Personally, I don't know what people where expecting! I mean I can't tell you the countless hoards that yelled the "20 million" sales would be announced in January. Now 18.5 million is massive, this is PS2 level stuff! But I don't know what people where expecting! I said 18-19 million seemed decent, but nothing more! It was followed by pages of abusive content, but lets not get into that. Anyway I really don't know, I think people where getting their expectations to high, and pushed it to far.... I mean think about it, 20 milliom was something even the Wii wasn't doing, and the ps4 just isn't that (not yet). Anyway congrats to Sony for 18.5 million, though I'm shocked vgchartz was actually overtracking it! Even I thought it had been a bit under! Anyway congrats to Sony, and hopefully we can have more numbers from Microsoft and Nintendo soon as for the love of god they haven't been said in ages....

Around the Network

18.5 million is an awesome number for any console so I think its pretty its a pretty awesome achievement! But I guess this means that the wii outsold it for the relative year then huh? The power of casuals indeed

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

People are disappointed because they've been conditioned to seeing PS4 being undertracked here. And they thought the "fastest selling console" thing would last through the holidays.

18.5 it's still massively incredible nonetheless.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I find it astonishing. But then again, I found the sales of the Wii more astonishing. People often surprise me.

Based on the PS4 library I would have predicted around 10m sales by now. The X1 with the price cut is about where I would have predicted. The Wii U was a blunder from the start so I would have predicted 12m by now and it's even falling well short of that.

Around the Network

18.5 is still amazing and considering what people predicted before the year, PS4 still beat almost everyone's expectations.

Also, the main reason some people were predicting 20 million was simply because they had believed PS4 had been undertracked as it has been a few times in the past.

The problem here is that people set their expectation too low when PS4 launched. Having high expectations after so many predictions were surpassed is only natural.

It was pretty unfair of Sony to let the PS4 sell so well during the year and do nothing in the holidays. That was specifically designed to make people overshoot with their predictions.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

18-19 was i expected too and still its excellent number. Seems like VGC overtracked by little over 0.5 million here. And i expect same for XB1 too otherwise Microsoft would have provided sales number for their 10 million sales by now.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

vivster said:

The problem here is that people set their expectation too low when PS4 launched. Having high expectations after so many predictions were surpassed is only natural.

It was pretty unfair of Sony to let the PS4 sell so well during the year and do nothing in the holidays. That was specifically designed to make people overshoot with their predictions.

I think PS4 would have achieved 20 million easily if XB1 did not provide price cuts and bundles where some of the sales went.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

biglittlesps said:
vivster said:

I think PS4 would have achieved 20 million easily if XB1 did not provide price cuts and bundles where some of the sales went.

And PS4 would've easily mitigated that with a pricecut on its own and more bundles. Yet they did nothing and as such let X1 sprint ahead.

Sony are the master trolls of VGC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.