By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

I know alot of you guys are going to flip out and I'll more than likely get banned for saying this, but I'm saying it anyway because I feel like I should be able to voice my opinion even if it is unpopular.
I see this as good news and I'm not disappointed at all. Ps4 didn't deserve to reach 20m by 2015. I hate seeing a console that plays it so safe reap so much reward and the 20m milestone after completing it's first full year would have been a disappointment to me. I'm glad it was 18.5. Hate me for feeling that way, but I have the right to rhat opinion. I'm sure that I will wake up tomorrow morning not being able to log in, but it's worth it because I want to be able to share my opinion on a website that I have loved for ages. I guess I'll be seeing you all in a few days.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
So, House was banging on about how supply would be tight this holiday.

Does this mean that they didnt sell as well as they expected this holiday and thus supply was actually fine or it is tight supply and shipments are similar to sold through?

Either way, I cant see how the shipments can be more than 20m for the next report and nowhere near the 24.5m the Wii had by March.

He was talking about europe only and there definitely were some Supply issues. I saw the PS4 sold out completely at many major retailers in germany, including Media Markt, which is the biggest electronics dealer around here, Even bigger than amazon. It certainly wasn't as bad as directly after launch, you could get a console If you really wanted to. But chances are you would have to Check multiple places in december.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

binary solo said:
I expect about 500K for W/E 27 Dec and then 250K for W/E 3 Jan. So that would put PS4 at 19 million on VGC at the same point. That makes PS4 only 500K overtracked which is not too bad. I wonder where the adjustments will come from. VGC still doesn;t have PS4 at 10 million in the week Sony said it reached 10 million, so the adjustments will be between mid-August and 20 Dec. Could that mean Xb one wins a week globally? The average weekly "adjustment" over that 19 weeks (assuming 500K over tracked) is 26K. But of course you can't just minus 26K off the PS4 total each week and be done with it. The closest week was BF week and if it gets a 40+K adjustment that will mean Xb one goes ahead that week. MCC week was also close a 60K adjustment that week would put PS4 behind Xb one.

Of course we don't know whether Xb one is over or under yet, it's a waiting game.

Nice to have it officially confirmed that PS4 is exactly 2 million ahead of what I predicted back in August.

Due to the dates and numbers mentioned, we know that on week ending 22nd November PS4 was at 14.4m, VGChartz has 14.76m so it is 370k over here. Therefore, it needs to be adjusted down 370k between August 10th and 22nd November. This leaves 4.1m for the last 6 weeks of the year. Going with what VGC already has, it looks as if PS4 numbers are heading to be too high and need to be adjusted down slightly then the last 2 weeks can maeke the total to 4.1m for the holiday and 18.5m total.

Nice so now Ryng_Tolu can stop stating as a fact that ps4 is undertracked without giving any evidence. Still impressive numbers.

OdinHades said:
kowenicki said:
So, House was banging on about how supply would be tight this holiday.

Does this mean that they didnt sell as well as they expected this holiday and thus supply was actually fine or it is tight supply and shipments are similar to sold through?

Either way, I cant see how the shipments can be more than 20m for the next report and nowhere near the 24.5m the Wii had by March.

He was talking about europe only and there definitely were some Supply issues. I saw the PS4 sold out completely at many major retailers in germany, including Media Markt, which is the biggest electronics dealer around here, Even bigger than amazon. It certainly wasn't as bad as directly after launch, you could get a console If you really wanted to. But chances are you would have to Check multiple places in december.

Definitely wasn't sold out in my city that's for sure, not even close. Saturn in my area still had like 20 or more PS4s after Christmas (compared to like 2-3 Wii Us and X1s each, definitely interesting how much less they ordered of those) so I guess ut depended on where you were.

Around the Network

Why oh why does every Sony sales thread end up into a shipped vs Sold Through argument ? It clearly says SOLD THROUGH in their PR. October announcement was shipped and never mentioned the sold through detail. So can this finally set a precedent in these threads? i.e. SOLD THROUGH == sold through .

Jazz2K said:

So they know one day before how many they sold through in the world? Didn't know they could track this fast. NPD is kind of pointless then.

Its actually kinda simple.

At any point in time Sony's primary goal is to keep retailers stocked. So they have methods in place to know which or where retailers need new stock. its not like the make 7.5M PS4s and ship them all out in one day, they ship out 1-1.5M or something like that each week. its fairly easy for them to know exactly how many consoles have been sold from calculating the amount of stock shipped out to certain retailers in relation to how or when those retailers ask for new stock and how much stock they ask for. 

basically, a retailer will not ask for stock if they still have piles of stock sitting in their store. So this 18.5M figure is an analysis of expended retail stock. Look it it this way, if sony stocks best buy with 100k consoles, and then 3 weeks later best buy puts in am order for another 100k, then Sony can conclude that the first 100k shipment has been sold to consumers. 

Its not complicated at all. 

bananaking21 said:
VGC's overtracking doesnt make these sales any less impressing. 18.5 million is a pretty huge number and next year will be even bigger.

That's exactly what it does. I don't recall anyone believing PS4 would end up overtracked this holiday. After all the under tracking and that "fastest selling console ever" announcement people's expectations skyrocketed. I can understand why some are now underwhelmed.

Well at least now we know why there hasn't been any updated VGChartz numbers for the past couple of weeks. ^^

Farsala said:
Welfare said:

Hmm. Post from here :http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6904450

Welfare said:

My thoughts here:

So they announce >10 million sold in early August, and 13.5 million shipped by the end of September.

They sold 728k in the US alone in August+September, so that's 10.7 million right there.

Assuming ratios between the US and ROTW remained constant within 5% since the last couple of sales updates (about 35:65), ROTW should be anywhere between 1,092,000 and 1,699,000. That means sales would be anywhere between 11.8 million to 12.4 million sold at the end of September (Basically where VGC has it at).

Now in October, we saw sales go down in the US (of course) by 45%. Now ROTW might not of dropped as much, but still, if the ratio remained constant this month as well, then that is additional 446k to 693k in ROTW. That means sales as of October could be anywhere from 12.5 million to 13.4 million (VGC is within the range, but closer to the high end).

Now November. This is most likely the cause of everything. Assuming the number of PS4's at the end of October are the high end, 13.4 million, they only sold 700k in November. An impossibility. If they were closer to the lower end, 12.5 million, then they sold 1.6 million in November. A possible outcome, as we have no idea on what the US sales are in November until Thursday, and the number would be close to the low end estimate of August+September, which were pretty strong months for PS4 sales.

Or a more likely scenario. These numbers don't include the final week of November.

Following this, I would say the PS4 in November would be anywhere from 2072k to 2763k. That brings the total between 14.6m and 16.2m. Then december sales can be anywhere between 2.3m to 3.9m.

Just my thoughts

And US is what % of that? guess NPD :P.

US would be the lower amount (35%)

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287