By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: The 500 Greatest Games

Wow, Smeags. Great work on this yet again. I don't know how you do it year after year.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The bad:

Perfect Dark dropped out of the top 100

Sad for my favorite FPS.  But looking at the past years, 117 is not out of the ordinary.  It was a low as 140 one year.

It is almost criminal how far away it is from GoldenEye.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Ka-pi96 said:
theRepublic said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

The bad:

Perfect Dark dropped out of the top 100

Sad for my favorite FPS.  But looking at the past years, 117 is not out of the ordinary.  It was a low as 140 one year.

It is almost criminal how far away it is from GoldenEye.

Agreed. I don't get why GoldenEye is so much more popular. IMO Perfect Dark did everything better, especially when it comes to multiplayer. GoldenEye was boring in comparison to Perfect Dark there.

I think they are the best two FPS ever made.  The multiplayer bots, secondary weapon functions, and better weapon changing method (instead of having to cycle through them all in order) push Perfect Dark over the top for me.

The big difference though, is how much each sold.  It is 8 million to 2.5 million.  Even on an enthusiast site like this, there are going to be a bunch of people that played GoldenEye but not Perfect Dark.  No one is going to vote for a game they never played.

Now Playing

Nintendo fans are realy good at winning these popularity contests, happens everytime.

RolStoppable said:
I hope at least 100 of those 500 are Nintendo games. Maybe there is a publisher breakdown on the first page, but the last time I opened this thread it looked like it would take two hours to load.

Approximately 115 Nintendo published games. 

Around the Network

Xenoblade Chronicles #1 for 2011, and #4 for the last 5 years. I would have ranked it a little higher for the last 5 years but it is what it is. Still it is the highest rated rpg of the last 5 years, but also the highest rated rpg for the gen, so yeah.

Samus Aran said:
Wright said:
artur-fernand said:
And Ocarina of Time is #1 AGAIN ._.
Sigh, that's so boring. Hasn't Chrono Trigger, FFVI and VII cracked the top 10 in past years? Why does every single game seem to change their position each year, but OoT and Mario 64 remain at the top 2?

The more people take part in this, the more games come and go between position. Most people, though, hold OoT and Mario 64 at the 1st and 2nd respectively, so that's the reason they don't change at all despite the others being all over the place.

Some people want to show they're old school by voting for those games I guess.

N64  games have not aged well. It's an insult to the entire game industry to put these games on number one. It's like saying the very first cars were also the best ones...

If SMG released alongside Mario 64 almost no one would think Mario 64 is better, I'm sure of that.

15% of Mario 64 is collecting 100 coins in vast levels, that's obnoxious. And soooooo many problems with the camera.

N64 games have not aged well...visually.  Same with all early 3D games.  Gameplay wise?  Many of them still hold up well today.

Mario controls better in Mario 64 than many modern 3D platformers.  Despite your complaints about the camera, I still run across worse cameras in modern games.  I still don't think the single player of GoldenEye or Perfect Dark has been equalled by modern FPS, and those games have a bunch of cheat modes and multiplayer modes you just don't see anymore.  Diddy Kong Racing had three vehicle types, all of which were a ton of fun.

I voted for Galxay to be higher than Mario 64.  I still had 64 in my top 10, as it is still a fantastic game that holds up to this day. Don't pretend that it is somehow a bad game.

Now Playing

Bravely Default didn't make it to the top 500? How shameful.

theRepublic said:

N64 games have not aged well...visually.  Same with all early 3D games.  Gameplay wise?  Many of them still hold up well today.

Mario controls better in Mario 64 than many modern 3D platformers.  Despite your complaints about the camera, I still run across worse cameras in modern games.  I still don't think the single player of GoldenEye or Perfect Dark has been equalled by modern FPS, and those games have a bunch of cheat modes and multiplayer modes you just don't see anymore.  Diddy Kong Racing had three vehicle types, all of which were a ton of fun.

I voted for Galxay to be higher than Mario 64.  I still had 64 in my top 10, as it is still a fantastic game that holds up to this day. Don't pretend that it is somehow a bad game.

I don't need to pretend for that. It has way too many issues and bland level design. Somecallmejohnny has a good review of it, I agree with most of what he said.

Munchies said:
Bravely Default didn't make it to the top 500? How shameful.

Next time the developers shouldn't pad out their game to such extreme lenghts.