By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: The 500 Greatest Games

okr said:

Your good taste, the fact that at least The Secret of Monkey Island made it to the top 500 and the announcement that Grim Fandango Remastered can now be pre-ordered, ease my pain.

You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
st0pnsw0p said:
>SM64 #2
>OoT #1

How original.

Good enough list I guess, though I really have to question how Other M made it in.

SM64 is so average. Played it first in 2010. Nostalgia I guess?

no offense but you're not really qualified to debate an 'all time' greatest list if you have played that few games, or only just now played some games as ancient as that. if you played SM64 for the first time just a few years ago then who knows how many other classics you haven't played whatsoever...  at any rate your the same poster who claims that Ocarina of Time is not very good, I think its just you lack a grasp for what was relevant or already existed WHEN these games come out

sure if you compared Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy TODAY, like play them side by side, one will feel dated or not as high quality. but that's because you're not considering the relevant information from the time of when it came out and what had existed prior. even so games like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, original Metroid, etc. all have aged extremely well for anyone who enjoys platformers or just more back to the basics adventure games

Wright said:
TruckOSaurus said:

It's a strange trend where the Top 50 event seems to appeal more to Nintendo gamers than Sony/MS/PC gamers. Each year as there's more and more users submitting their lists, I think to myself that the Nintendomination will be reduced but it seems the number of participants didn't change things after all.

Doesn't necessarily mean to appeal to "Nintendo gamers", but rather, people who grew up with Nintendo. That's something that is stuck with us forever, as an integral part of our childhood; and such, those kind of games will never be removed from there because we look back to them with both love and nostalgia. It doesn't help that those games were (are?) also amazing.

But you see, the problem with this theory is that the numbers tells us that a lot more people grew up with, say, Final Fantasy VII, than Ocarina of Time (and hell, look how many PSOnes were out there compared to N64's). So...what the hell?

I say OoT keeping that #1 spot for several years in a row makes no goddamn sense.

mountaindewslave said:
Samus Aran said:
st0pnsw0p said:
>SM64 #2
>OoT #1

How original.

Good enough list I guess, though I really have to question how Other M made it in.

no offense but you're not really qualified to debate an 'all time' greatest list if you have played that few games, or only just now played some games as ancient as that. if you played SM64 for the first time just a few years ago then who knows how many other classics you haven't played whatsoever...  at any rate your the same poster who claims that Ocarina of Time is not very good, I think its just you lack a grasp for what was relevant or already existed WHEN these games come out

sure if you compared Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy TODAY, like play them side by side, one will feel dated or not as high quality. but that's because you're not considering the relevant information from the time of when it came out and what had existed prior. even so games like Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, original Metroid, etc. all have aged extremely well for anyone who enjoys platformers or just more back to the basics adventure games

I'm comparing games how they match up today. I've played most games in the top 100. ;)

I constantly hear OoT is STILL the best game today,that's what pisses me off. This isn't about the best N64 games, so your arguments don't hold up. It's about best games of all time, so I'm going to rate old games by today's standards.

I actually like OoT 3D (8.5/10). It's just immensely overrated.

Original Metroid? Hahaha, that game is barely playable anymore, it sucks! If you think that aged well you really have some nostalgia goggles on (no offence meant)

If only Metroid II got a remake à la Zero Mission. ;(

Wonktonodi said:

I'm sad my number 2 didn't make it to the top 500. 4 civilizations made the list as well as master of magic but no alpha centauri.

Master of Magic was on some people's list? Awesome and unexpected. MicroProse for the win (or at least a few mentions outside Civ).

I also detected a few of Richard Garriott's Ultimas on the yearly breakdown lists and a few Bullfrog entries, albeit pretty obscure ones (but no Syndicate, no Dungeon Keeper, tsts - I really should return to voting next time). Even Dynamix' RPG gem Betrayal at Krondor was mentioned by someone. Great! HoMM III and AoE 2 are there as well and even made it to the top 500, but both were expected (most beloved PC strategy classics outside CIV). It seems not everything is lost with regards to VGC and PC gaming.

Too bad for Alpha Centauri but it's always overshadowed by Civilization as long as a ranking is not mostly made by PC gamers. I hope Firaxis turn Civ: Beyond Earth into a true - not just a spiritual - successor with future expansions (or, if that won't happen, I hope fans step in with mods).

Around the Network

Wow, awesome work Smeags! Also very interesting to see how the top 10 compared to last year.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Doesn't seem like a very well-balanced list. I mean, I'm a huuuuge Nintendo fan but I wouldn't have them dominate the top 20 or so *that* much. It's to be expected with fan votes, though. Generally a lot of the people who vote in these things wouldn't have the breadth of gaming experience that a professional critic would have, hence why most critic lists are usually a tad more varied.

Happy to see OoT holding onto the #1 spot, though personally I think Majora's Mask was actually the better and more inventive game.

Wright said:

You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee!

I look THAT much like your fiancée?

Conegamer said:
outlawauron said:
Conegamer said:
Damn I've only played 49 of those...

At least I know I can beat this number.

Will be checking to see how many I've played when I get home.

To be honest that's not an overly impressive feat. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECUrlnXCqk

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

mountaindewslave said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm not one to defend Samus, but this is asinine thinking. You're only 22, so you've missed out on playing dozens of classics due to your age, so is your opinion or rating now invalid?

While it's important to consider the technical limitations of the time, but that doesn't mean you should forgive it all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.