By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: The 500 Greatest Games

I just realized that the original Metroid made it (really?), but there's no Zero Mission anywhere. You guys disgust me. Well, at least there's no Metroid II, and I haven't played Other M to be offended by the fact it made the list.

On the other hand, FFXIII cracked the top 200. Ha, fuck you haters! But it baffles me that Chrono Trigger keeps dropping year after year. I thought we all agreed it was a contender for best rpg ever dammit.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Does it really matter that it gets more votes from Nintendo fans than anything else? Nope, this shows what the site as a whole thinks and the site as a whole has a lot of Nintendo fans.

The site has more nintendo fans and they love to participate in these things

Yeah... but why is that a problem?

It's not a problem, just doesn't actually represent a top 50. It's using a biased sample to make an objective ranking.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

From the OP:

Now, here comes the disclaimer: This list is not definitive in any way. It's just the combined opinions of unique gamrConnect users. You'll also find that there's no platforms or publishers in the main list, only the game, year, and development team. Those developers are the ones who brought these amazing games to life through their hard work, creativity, and passion for gaming, so let's focus on these groups of people and give them the praise they deserve.

If you're looking for a certain compilation, remake, remaster, or game released after October 31, 2014, you wont find them here. Each game provided is the original game, given the release date for when it hit Western (US or PAL) shores (or if it never has released overseas, then its original release date).

With that said, here are the top 500 games voted on by the community here on gamrConnect. In the end I hope you can use this thread to look back at the best of gaming and rekindle that joy that this hobby of ours brings to us. From gaming's past to a bright future, here's to video games.

-

Obviously games like Metroid: Zero Mission, Persona 4: The Golden, and REmake are so much more than simple remakes, but at the same time their basis stems from the original games. I know a lot aren't happy with that, and I do apologize, but that's what's happened. Maybe next year I'll separate them, but that's of course another gear in the machine.

Smeags said:
From the OP:

Now, here comes the disclaimer: This list is not definitive in any way. It's just the combined opinions of unique gamrConnect users. You'll also find that there's no platforms or publishers in the main list, only the game, year, and development team. Those developers are the ones who brought these amazing games to life through their hard work, creativity, and passion for gaming, so let's focus on these groups of people and give them the praise they deserve.

If you're looking for a certain compilation, remake, remaster, or game released after October 31, 2014, you wont find them here. Each game provided is the original game, given the release date for when it hit Western (US or PAL) shores (or if it never has released overseas, then its original release date).

With that said, here are the top 500 games voted on by the community here on gamrConnect. In the end I hope you can use this thread to look back at the best of gaming and rekindle that joy that this hobby of ours brings to us. From gaming's past to a bright future, here's to video games.

-

Obviously games like Metroid: Zero Mission, Persona 4: The Golden, and REmake are so much more than simple remakes, but at the same time their basis stems from the original games. I know a lot aren't happy with that, and I do apologize, but that's what's happened. Maybe next year I'll separate them, but that's of course another gear in the machine.

Hum, that's controversial. I mean, P4 Golden is more of an enhanced port, it makes sense. But Zero Mission and REmake are sooooo vastly different from the originals. Anyway.

Sorry.

Just pretend that they're the enhanced games. My rationale was to pay homage to the games that are the original vision.

Around the Network
artur-fernand said:
Smeags said:
From the OP:

-

Hum, that's controversial. I mean, P4 Golden is more of an enhanced port, it makes sense. But Zero Mission and REmake are sooooo vastly different from the originals. Anyway.

An enhanced port that completely changes how the story is concluded, but yeah. Pretty sad to see them being combined. The PS2 version of P4 wouldn't make my list at all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

But did anybody actually vote for the original Metroid? I mean, c'mon.

Ka-pi96 said:

Makes a lot of sense doing it that way. It also gives those games a better chance at making the list, otherwise votes would be split between the originals and the remakes.

That was my thinking as well.

Those who had a PSX are more likely to go with the original/dualshock version, while GCN owners are more likely to pick REmake.

Those who don't have a PSV chose the original, while most PSV owners picked Golden.

Metroid was the outlier, absolutely. Metroid was *greatly* propped by votes of Zero Mission. Usually Metroid isn't anywhere near Mario/Zelda for NES, but there it is.

@Those not cool with it

I'm sorry my methodology displeases you. It was only my intention to prop up games that would be hurt in the overall scheme because of the fractured votes.

Smeags said:

I'm sorry my methodology displeases you. It was only my intention to prop up games that would be hurt in the overall scheme because of the fractured votes.

No excuses. Time for you to commit seppukku!

What? Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean made it but not Baten Kaitos Origins? Was I the only one who voted for it or something? Baten Kaitos fans, you all need to play Origins and realize its utter superiority at the earliest opportunity.