By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. 4 is an Abomination

You sound like Nostalgia Critic nit-picking at every small point

Around the Network
FentonCrackshell said:
People talk about this franchise like it's so great. But each game I've played just feels like a button masher that takes no skill to play. And Sony fully recreated its n00biness with its lackluster imitation. My son loves both games though. But he's 7 and he also thinks Dragon Ball is an awesome movie.

The game is designed to be pick up and play, such that anyone can pick up the game and get a level of satisfaction, many people never go passed this.

Button mashing however will get you absolutely nowhere against any human opponent who has any idea how to play the game properly and I'm not even talking about the those people who have skills in this game that even I barely understand, despite having played since the days of Melee. This is just a random dude on Youtube, I don't even know if he'd be considered that good amongst those in the know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XqG4sr14Q

OT: Use of the word abomination is complete hyperbole.  The game has some things YOU don't like.

@OP

I could overlook every single thing you're complaining about, IF the game had a fucking Adventure Mode. SOME kind of Adventure Mode, even a more simple, watered down version like Melee had. ANYTHING would have been nice. Smash Tour is pointless garbage, and to me, someone who does actually enjoyed the single player modes of Smash, I really wanted another Adventure Mode to play around in. I wouldn't call SSB4 an abomination. But I will say they really fucked up with it. It didn't need to also be on 3DS, they should have focused soley on the Wii U game, being Wii U only would have helped the game and the Wii U sell better, because of Smash demand, and they could/should have focused 100% of their development resources and efforts into making Smash U (with an actual subtitle) a great game, instead of just being the "okay" game that it is. They could have still made a 3DS Smash game, it's OWN game, down the road if that's what they wanted. But having the two games coincide, was a mistake all across board if you ask me.

It has a lot of content, yes. And yet for all that content, somehow it also feels kind of hollow. I don't know what it is, but with some of it's major releases Nintendo really seems to tweaking out this gen. With GC, they made entries in series like Mario, Zelda, MK, and Star Fox, that all made major departures from what made those franchises great in the first place, at least to me. They also did that with Metroid. The only difference being, with Metroid Prime, the new approach actually worked out all right. To ME, WW, Sunshine, Assault, Double Dash, all sucked. With Wii U, it's a bit different. MK8 is a fantastic game, that is held back from being GREAT by not having any real Battle Mode, which to me is both lazy and inexcusable. Same goes for Smash, it's got lot's of stuff, but no Adventure Mode, leaving it with not all that much to do outside of multiplayer.

I just really hope that doesn't carry over to other major releases......like Zelda. That game needs to be bad ass and live up to it's full potential.

FentonCrackshell said:
People talk about this franchise like it's so great. But each game I've played just feels like a button masher that takes no skill to play. And Sony fully recreated its n00biness with its lackluster imitation. My son loves both games though. But he's 7 and he also thinks Dragon Ball is an awesome movie.

Yeah you would get absolutely destroyed against anyone who is a half decent player if you think Smash is a button masher and takes no skill. 

Anyway, I disagree with OP on almost all points. Smash 4 is great, best in series. My only gripes with this game are relatevely minor (yeah I would have liked battlefield on for glory and some more options for stage builder but in the big picture they're not that important)

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

FentonCrackshell said:

Smash? A button masher? Pure bollocks.. Button mashing might be effective against level 3 CPUs, but that's about it!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

#2 sounds like the usual Tekken AI at high levels: 100% throw escape rate but dies to spamming certain moves.

I've not really seen these problems that you're pointing out. Moreover, a number of these complaints aren't really complaints and are just dissatisfaction. For example, the balancing is much better in this game than in Brawl, say. Never noticed this "Rage" thing either. And why does being developed by Namco cause issues?

I tend to play as Palutena, who isn't considered to be the best character out there, but I often win due to different fighting styles to a lot of other people online. If you're struggling then it's because you're doing what everyone else is doing, and that's not the fault of the game.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Just want to point out that playing through the Subspace Emissary was possibly the most boring thing I've forced myself to endure in gaming. I was not upset to see that fail to return, but I'll admit that the game does lack a replacement.

The only thing I agree with are the counters. Too many characters have them and it feels very cheap to lose from a noob only because they spam counter. It also lasts for too long and they are even activated when attacking from behind like I do with my gf.

Another terrible thing are the super armors. Especially with Little Mac, it makes it unrewarding for even trying to knock him out of the field which is the point of this game (you don't keep attacking when I throw a freaking bowling ball on your head). Reflectors are also cheap and present in too many characters. As Villager as my main fighter, I rely for quite a bit on attacks that can be disarmed easily by reflect spammers.

I agree with some of your points. Smash Bros. is good but I don't think its as good as the Nintendo 64 version (I haven't played Melee).

NNID: FrequentFlyer54