By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playstation Have The Best Developers in These 4 Genres.

You're going to upset a lot of Bayonetta and DMC fans with this though I do agree GoW is loads more fun and the harder difficulties alleviate the complaints about it not being as challenging.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
YOU FORGOT RACING:

Polyphony and Evolution and formerly Psygnosis :(

Its debatable whether Forza or GT is better.  But F-Zero is clearly a better franchise then Wipeout and most people didn't even play the best game in the franchise F-Zero GX on the Gamecube.

can you say a franchise IS better (in a current sense) when it hasn't had a release a decade?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

outlawauron said:
Rafie said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Well, many of these studios listed don't belong to Sony. Moreover, Uncharted isn't an action-adventure series. Even if it was, it pales in comparison to The Legend of Zelda.

Sony has some exceptional talent on its payroll. There's no need to pad the bill, so to speak, to make the company look better than it is.

That's subjective. Everyone doesn't like Legend of Zelda. However, Zelda is much more popular than Uncharted.

How do you gauge popularity? Uncharted is not behind Zelda's sales at all.

As in public opinion. Zelda has been around longer. This has nothing to do with sales. Even if it did, Zelda would still be ahead of Uncharted if you combined all of Zelda's sales from the late 80's til now. I personally don't find Zelda all that appealing, but I have recognized it's popularity. It would be hard not to. I absolutely love Uncharted.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

platformmaster918 said:
Chris Hu said:
Turkish said:
YOU FORGOT RACING:

Polyphony and Evolution and formerly Psygnosis :(

Its debatable whether Forza or GT is better.  But F-Zero is clearly a better franchise then Wipeout and most people didn't even play the best game in the franchise F-Zero GX on the Gamecube.

can you say a franchise IS better (in a current sense) when it hasn't had a release a decade?

Yes, how long it was since the last game was released has nothing to do with the overall quality of the franchise.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
kinisking said:
2 is right. Not sure about 3 since it's not permanent. 1 is a definite no. The guys who make Witcher are much better. 4 is a maybe seeing as how bayonetta is said to be better

God of War is the top selling hack n slash of all time and continues to hold the crown for the genre. Bayonetta is great but purely from a gameplay standpoint. God of War tones it down and brings it back to a world where gameplay can exist in tadem with a proper story. Thats Sony's MO with most of their action/adventure titles.

lol GOW is the most shallow action game series ever made. Hit circle until a QTE pops up. GOW ripped off and made a dumb version of Castlevania Lament. DMC put action games on the map. GOW even ripped off Rygar. Kamiya owns the genre and Bayonetta series is truly deep combos and one of the deepest around. Kamiya has more game design understanding than any GOW game has in his left nut. People buy GOW because it's easy and shallow. GOW is an awful series with a terrible main character and lousy shallow game design. Ys VI has deeper action combat than GOW. I'm dead serious. If someone likes GOW over Bayonetta fine but look at actual game design and GOW is a scrapped together simpler version of other games before it.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kinisking said:
2 is right. Not sure about 3 since it's not permanent. 1 is a definite no. The guys who make Witcher are much better. 4 is a maybe seeing as how bayonetta is said to be better

God of War is the top selling hack n slash of all time and continues to hold the crown for the genre. Bayonetta is great but purely from a gameplay standpoint. God of War tones it down and brings it back to a world where gameplay can exist in tadem with a proper story. Thats Sony's MO with most of their action/adventure titles.

lol GOW is the most shallow action game series ever made. Hit circle until a QTE pops up. GOW ripped off and made a dumb version of Castlevania Lament. DMC put action games on the map. GOW even ripped off Rygar. Kamiya owns the genre and Bayonetta series is truly deep combos and one of the deepest around. Kamiya has more game design understanding than any GOW game has in his left nut. People buy GOW because it's easy and shallow. GOW is an awful series with a terrible main character and lousy shallow game design. Ys VI has deeper action combat than GOW. I'm dead serious. If someone likes GOW over Bayonetta fine but look at actual game design and GOW is a scrapped together simpler version of other games before it.

God of War ripped off DMC which at its height was popular for its day....not on God of Wars level of popularity. DMC put those games on the map but God of War took the crown. Rygar was a lesser kown game which also inspired it. Once God of War showed everyone how it was done it was quickly ripped off by Dantes Inferno and Star Wars the force unleashed. Can't say they never gave back while they took the crown. God of War has great action, its just focused on combining spells and action. It is also more of a platformer than DMC was. God of War took elements from many games and became great...similarly to Uncharted who owes its existence in part to many games (not just one). No matter how you feel...the sales don't lie and the more you raise the difficulty on God of War the the more brutal the game gets. I've never faced anything in DMC or Bayonetta harder than the trails of archimedes in God of war. I also believe God of War and Bayonetta have the best parry/reversal systems. God of Wars and Bayonettas witch time are the best in the business. Their parry system staggers impossible opponents and allows you to go in for the kill, while bayonetta slows down time. Personally I think it takes more skill to master God of Wars parry system. Bayonetta and DMC's edge revolve completely around combo stringing. I'll agree that god of war needs more moves , but if you've ever combo chained attacks and spells in tandem from multiple weapon types together I doubt you would've had such a problem with its "Shallow" combo system. Also the balance also comes from the fact of the level of storytelling Sony had vs their competition.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:
Fusioncode said:
And also:

Sports games - Sony San Diego
Sim Racing - Polyphony Digital
Platformers - Media Molecule

Playstation owners have a lot of variety!

NBA 2K is miles better then any sports game ever developed by Sony. (Compare that to EA not Sony. Sony has the top baseball game and no one, not even EA has dared to challege them.)

Forza is on par any in many areas better then GT. (Debatable)

Nitendo is still the king of platformers. (Even Microsoft and Sony agree on this)

How is EA to "dare challenge them" when 2k had an exclusive contract for MLB games, barring them from doing so? And 2k/Sony both ripped off so much from MVP Baseball, I would never give either of them praise for their games without also giving EA some credit. But then I'd also remember how both franchises were so god awful laggy and glitchy online, neither deserve any praise. I guess the person who recommended sports, never played The Show on PS4? The online leagues are unplayable. LOL @ best sports developer.

Rafie said:
outlawauron said:

How do you gauge popularity? Uncharted is not behind Zelda's sales at all.

As in public opinion. Zelda has been around longer. This has nothing to do with sales. Even if it did, Zelda would still be ahead of Uncharted if you combined all of Zelda's sales from the late 80's til now. I personally don't find Zelda all that appealing, but I have recognized it's popularity. It would be hard not to. I absolutely love Uncharted.

I'm not saying or thinking Uncharted is more popular, but it's grown to be a large IP in a very short amount of time.

That's why I asked how do you gauge. I wouldn't thinking sales of every iteration combined as a relevant comparison, because that would mean that Pac-Man, Mega Man, Guitar Hero, and Brain Age were relevant IPs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Chris Hu said:

How is EA to "dare challenge them" when 2k had an exclusive contract for MLB games, barring them from doing so? And 2k/Sony both ripped off so much from MVP Baseball, I would never give either of them praise for their games without also giving EA some credit. But then I'd also remember how both franchises were so god awful laggy and glitchy online, neither deserve any praise. I guess the person who recommended sports, never played The Show on PS4? The online leagues are unplayable. LOL @ best sports developer.

EA has had a lot of worthy competition. Their license with the NFL stopping 2k from making a football game is one of the biggest injustices in gaming. 2k might have failed in baseball, but they would've had a much larger following if they were allowed to continue in Football and EA knows it. Their money was well spent. As for Sony...if there are baseball fans around they know where to go....plain and simple. Discredit them all you want, but the Show is the only major baseball game in town and 2k bowed out of the race. I don't think EA wants a piece either. 

LordLichtenstein said:

1. RPG

Hidetaka Miyazaki:

Director: Demon's Souls
Director: Dark Souls 
Supervisor: Dark Souls 2
Director: Bloodborne 

2. Action Adventure

Bruce Straley And Neil Druckmann:

Director & Writer: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Director & Writer: The Last of Us
Director & Writer: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

3. Fighting

Yoshinori Ono:

Producer: Street Fighter IV
Producer: Super Street Fighter IV
Producer: Ultra Street Fighter IV
Producer: Street Fighter V

4. Hack and Slash

Cory Barlog:

Lead Animator: God of War
Director: God of War II
Director: untitled God of War game

Do you agree? 

I think I can name 4 that are mo betta.

1. RPG - Todd Howard (Bethesda). With games like multiple Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 under his belt, enough said.

2. A&A - Leslie Benzies (Rockstar). Resume includes GTA, Bully, Red Dead, etc.

3. Fighting - This genre has become a bit of a joke and there might be like... 3 or 4 people you can honestly choose from, but idk how anyone could not go with Masahiro Sakurai. He has done it longer and with better results than the guy who oversaw SFIV and its thousand rehashes.

4. Hack n slash - Cevat Yerni. He developed Ryse: Son of LOL just kidding. Give me Kamiya. I mean that resume is just rediculous. Balrog? No.