By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic or Cartoony graphic style - which do you prefer and why?

?

Cartoony 209 65.52%

Realistic 110 34.48%

Total:319
GTAexpert said:
TruckOSaurus said:

In what category would you classify Mirror's Edge? Because the world of ME is not realistic but I wouldn't call it cartoony as well.

For me, great art direction will always win over technical achievement so I'd much rather play/look at Mirror's Edge than Killzone for example even though I know the latter is considered to have the better graphics.

I think Mirror's Edge is more cartoony than realistic. The dazzling white rooftops, the overall very light-shades of the world and the overuse of bloom effects combined with the art makes it look cartoony.

Anyways, you actually liked its graphics? I mean, I can withstand cartoony graphics but in Mirror's Edge the excessively strong reflections and the very similar looking buildings hindered the gameplay. Its graphics are part of what stops it from being a great game.

I love Mirror's Edge look, it creates a feel that is unique to it. It also integrates game hints in a clever way, instead of a big arrow pointing you in the direction you need to go, you quickly learn to look for red objects so it doesn't feel like you're constantly told where to go while not leaving you wandering clueless.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Both?

I voted realistic because it takes more effort to pull off well, but I think it ultimately depends on the game.
Cartoony art styles are much easier to make them look good and they don't require as much performance to run.

If I had to put them as two options as above I would go with "artistic" and "realistic" as opposed to cartoony. As others have mentioned there are middle-ground games that don't go for that ultra-realism approach that I would classify as "realistic" in this regard that can still look great. Overall, I prefer a more anime style look to my games. I feel that trying to hit ultra-realistic results all too often in flaws presenting themselves too easily. Whereas in a more cartoon/artistic format you have a lot more artistic license to hide those flaws behind.

As long as its done well, I don't really care.

Edit: i'll never understand why people think realistic =/= colorful. >_>

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Realistic, because games with such graphics tend to have a more mature subject matter. Also, cartoony graphics make me think of games 20 years ago, and I think that the technology has advanced so much that it is possible to create more realistic characters and environments.

It doesn't matter as long as the game itself is good.
But I generally prefer Slightly cartoony games, I enjoy stuff like GTA but not stuff like Uncharted or TLOU.

Depending on the game.

Depends on the game.

Current gaming platforms - Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, New 3DS, PC

It obviously depends but I prefer cartoon because I see realistic things all day. I guess I have a bias because as a cartoonist I guess I have to look at realism and create something that isn't real.