By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic or Cartoony graphic style - which do you prefer and why?

?

Cartoony 209 65.52%

Realistic 110 34.48%

Total:319

There's room in the gaming industry for both, I hope one never pushes out the other.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
There's room in the gaming industry for both, I hope one never pushes out the other.

nope get that baby crap out of here if theres no blood guts and gray lighting i wont play it.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

I prefer good aesthetics.

EDIT: I have no idea if the video is embedded properly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU)

Realistic. I know it doesn't age as well but I can't help but ve impressed when it isn't outdated. I love cartoony also

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

if realistic, i like colorfull.

Around the Network

Its quite interesting to see people with an open-mind in this thread but many of the same people criticising realistic games for being grey in others.

yeah as long as it works, I'm fine

It depend on the game. I like both, but I lean more towards realistic graphics.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

In what category would you classify Mirror's Edge? Because the world of ME is not realistic but I wouldn't call it cartoony as well.

For me, great art direction will always win over technical achievement so I'd much rather play/look at Mirror's Edge than Killzone for example even though I know the latter is considered to have the better graphics.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

In what category would you classify Mirror's Edge? Because the world of ME is not realistic but I wouldn't call it cartoony as well.

For me, great art direction will always win over technical achievement so I'd much rather play/look at Mirror's Edge than Killzone for example even though I know the latter is considered to have the better graphics.

I think Mirror's Edge is more cartoony than realistic. The dazzling white rooftops, the overall very light-shades of the world and the overuse of bloom effects combined with the art makes it look cartoony.

Anyways, you actually liked its graphics? I mean, I can withstand cartoony graphics but in Mirror's Edge the excessively strong reflections and the very similar looking buildings hindered the gameplay. Its graphics are part of what stops it from being a great game.