By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic or Cartoony graphic style - which do you prefer and why?

?

Cartoony 209 65.52%

Realistic 110 34.48%

Total:319
GTAexpert said:
Hedra42 said:
I think the OP is asking entirely the wrong question. The art style is just one of many factors that go into the game, although it could be argued that the art style defines the game. The real questions should be - how important is art style to you? Do you buy a game for its art style, or for the game play?

That would make for an interesting poll.

IMHO, anyway.

A question cannot be wrong.

This isn't about which games you prefer, this is about which style do you like your games to have.

Did I say it was about which games you prefer? No. I said that the art style is a part of the game, and that it would be more interesting to ask whether artstyle or gameplay is more important when buying a game. This is proved by the fact that already there are some posting in this thread who have a clear preference on artstyle over their games, some who are saying their preference in artstyle depends on the game, and some who aren't concerned, as long as the game is good. I fall into the third category.

If I said in answer to your question that I preferred the cartoon style, I would be lying, because there are games I love that have a realistic style. If I said I preferred realistic, I would also be lying, because there are games that I love that have a cartoon style.

Here are two games I like which just happen to be 1990's point-and-click puzzle/adventure.

This is Riven, which is still one of my all time favourites. Not cartoony, but was considered awesome for its realistic beauty at the time. When characters appeared in the game (which was rare) they were live action.

Broken Sword. A puzzle/adventure game I really enjoyed playing. Cartoon style.

That's why I think it's not a great question. If you object to me using the word 'wrong', then I'll rephrase - I think there are better ways to find out people's preferences in artstyle and why, than just asking whether they like cartoon or realistic.

Around the Network

Depends on the art style. Games like WWHD and Oreshika look beautiful but Borderlands on the hand looks 'meh'.

I prefer "cartoon-y" graphics, realistic graphics never age as well cartoonish graphics and I like a colorful world rather than a dark and gritty one

Either or is fine, honestly. With my recent fascination for BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass effect series, I'd say realistic.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

There's a place for both styles, though I voted cartoony based on some of my favourite games of recent years (Okami, Windwaker, Skyward Sword). Usually feel more 'wowed' by colourful, vibrant art design. Realistic games can be quite sterile. Assassins Creed III for example was amazing, so long as you like the colour brown.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Depends on the game really. I enjoy all types of games, they can be cartoony (Dishonoured, Guilty Gear) or realistic(Metro, Crysis, Tekken). The art style just has to complement the vision and tone of the game.

Dishonored counts as cartoony now?

Damn.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Why not both? Okay, i'll answer anyways. 

Text adventure games. 

Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Depends on the game really. I enjoy all types of games, they can be cartoony (Dishonoured, Guilty Gear) or realistic(Metro, Crysis, Tekken). The art style just has to complement the vision and tone of the game.

Damn.

How would you describe these?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Cartoony.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

SubiyaCryolite said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

Damn.

How would you describe these?

Realism? There's a bit of style in there, but that's solid realism.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.