By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic or Cartoony graphic style - which do you prefer and why?

?

Cartoony 209 65.52%

Realistic 110 34.48%

Total:319

I dont care how a game looks, if its a good game/fun ill take it. The style doesnt bother me, neither should it bother any gamer in general

Around the Network

Don't really mind.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

I think the OP is asking entirely the wrong question. The art style is just one of many factors that go into the game, although it could be argued that the art style defines the game. The real questions should be - how important is art style to you? Do you buy a game for its art style, or for the game play?

That would make for an interesting poll.

IMHO, anyway.

Hedra42 said:
I think the OP is asking entirely the wrong question. The art style is just one of many factors that go into the game, although it could be argued that the art style defines the game. The real questions should be - how important is art style to you? Do you buy a game for its art style, or for the game play?

That would make for an interesting poll.

IMHO, anyway.

A question cannot be wrong.

This isn't about which games you prefer, this is about which style do you like your games to have.

I like both art-styles, so it doesn't matter to me!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

I like both in different games. I wouldn't like Uncharted style story with cartoons and I wouldn't like Crash type games with realistic graphics.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Cartoony. Has more charm and creativity

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Cartoony - As I am not a very good gamer and I tend to be confused when things get blurry as they often do in realistic looking games: Is it friend or foe?

It depends on the game. Some games look good real and others look good exaggerated or cartoony as you say. Zelda I suppose could fuel this topic. Twilight princess looked ok when it tried to look real but the other art styles nintendo has used made it look better in some games especially the one coming next year.

Almost everything ends up feeling cartoony...even the most realistic looking games tend to fall short. I prefer gritty art styles with detail and not everything looking completely crisp or shiny. It seems very few games have realistic skyboxes (the devs must forget what outside looks like) because you have really dark daytimes or a haze filter where it looks like your character is seeing the world through sunglasses (I feel like COD almost always has this problem).  I have no problem with cartoony or realistic as long as it makes sense for the tone a game is trying to convey.