By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Driveclub is the most underrated game of the year

Have you played Driveclub?

No 328 55.69%

Yes 257 43.63%

Total:585
artur-fernand said:
Goddammit, stop hyping me for this game. It seems like a pretty fun racer, I wanna play it now.

mmmmmmmmmm

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
GTAexpert said:

When did you play it exactly, and how much of it did you play? It seems you playede it close to launch and even then, the gameplay was pretty good. Now however, its an incredible game, not an average one. I would call NFS: Rivals average, and The Crew is pathetic. They are not at all better at "filling the gap" if that gap even exists anymore because Driveclub has already erased that gap.

Driveclub is nothing like a sim racer at all, so I don't get that comparison either.

I last played it a few weeks ago. Nothing about it felt extraordinary, but that doesn't mean I disliked it.

Driveclub's physics and controls are more like a sim racer than what we expect from an arcade racer.

Here's a question, have you actually played arcade racers?

That last point of reference, I am not sure what you call an arcade racer, in my mind this means either something like Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Sega Rally, etc. (the driving in them is pretty deep and technical) or the more out there versions Crazy Taxy (yay open world!), Outrun series, Ridge Racer... there are also the Sci-Fi ones Wipeout & F-Zero...

More "arcade" like is really meaning less because there is so much variety in that category.

Driveclub is in many ways the best game in its category, the tracks are amazingly well designed, the feeling of speed is un-equalled and the driving model that some apparently do not like is just excellent, it let you feel each car's specific weight and handling characteristics very differently... even in cars that are in the same category or have similar on paper characteristics!

So in therms of it being more or less arcady, Driveclub reminds me a lot of Daytona USA or Sega Rally in therms of handling and track design, which is the most arcade like that you can get (I don't think I am mistaken by saying Daytona USA is basically IT when it domes to arcade racers).

Chevinator123 said:
artur-fernand said:
Goddammit, stop hyping me for this game. It seems like a pretty fun racer, I wanna play it now.

mmmmmmmmmm

Oh, you hearless bastard.

I'd disagree with Daytona, but definitely very much like Sega Rally! :D

Drive Club is more of a "Simcade" game which strives to find more of the middle ground like the Codemasters titles, Project Gotham Racing etc did previously.

Personally I find Simcade the most satisfying overall racing experience. I just love that it's clearly over the top (a lot of the stuff if you were doing it in real life, you'd already have spun out or whatever) but there is still a danger/risk to your manoeuvres.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Kerotan said:
SvennoJ said:

I love that track, great shot.
That video also clearly shows the shit AI, dull handling and penalties everywhere ;)

I started photo mode a few times tonight, didn't get anything like that, was too eager to get back to racing. It's cool flying through the raindrops and checking out all the details in photo mode.

i read your comment before i looked at your name and was thinking, here we go again, another driveclub hater with a baseless accusation and no first hand experience of the game! But yeah good point! I personally won't bother using photo mode and have never done so in a game other than fifa to look at a goal in a cool angle. 

EDIT: ANd for anyone who loved PGR you are missing out on so much with this game. I loved PGR and this is it's spiritual successor. 

Haha, I thought the ;) would be clear enough. The AI clearly avoids and steers around whoever is driving in that video. He cuts corners without penalties and the handling looks great. I spend almost an hour last night working towards a win on the first Norway track at pro AI difficulty in a super series car. That track is so fast it feels like wipeout, and similarly one touch to the wall pretty much guarantees a loss. It's one of the most difficult tracks to win on, love it.

Around the Network

the biggest turnoff im afraid is lack of content/progression

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Mr Puggsly said:

And again, Driveclub isn't a true arcade racer. The gameplay isn't what we expect from an arcade racer and it feels like a mediocre sim racer. If Driveclub was a more enjoyable arcade style racer than it might have scored better. Driveclub is still aiming for a level of realism and that makes it more sim than arcade. PGR did something similar but was less dull.

Forza 5 isn't recycling content from past games and they are released more frequently. GT6 got attacked for being a rehash of GT5 and it was released 3 years after. So clearly reviewers expect more than just a lot of content.

You compare Driveclub to a lot of arcade racers but its not similar to them. Driveclub feels more like Forza than a game like Split/Second. Again, its not a pariticularly fun arcade experience or a noteworthy sim experience.

I don't feel reviewers focus too much on graphics these days.

While DC does invoke that feeling of driving on the Nordschleife, it's much closer to NFS Shift and PGR than GT. The difference is the speed. A sim racer keeps it realistic, while an arcade racer exeggerates grip and acceleration for a more immediate experience.

It's not a mediocre sim racer since it's not trying to be a sim racer. Unless you also think the original NFS is a mediocre sim racer? Anyway the true definition of arcade is the one more go principle and setting high scores. DC excels in that.

There are a lot of different arcade racers. What makes a fun arcade experience might not be fun for others, doesn't mean it's not a great arcade experience. I enjoy Wipeout best without the weapons, pure racing. For the same reason MK8 just doesn't do it for me, yet I still see the quality in the game. In NFS I don't like being the cops, I enjoy racing and evading. Turbo boost and radar jammer over offensive gimmicks.
After arcade racers resorting to stories (The run), annoying gimmicks (Split/Second), combat (Blur), or openworld to make things more 'interesting', DriveClub is a great return to what arcade racing is all about for me. Better than PGR, I played them all but never felt going beyond completing all the races.

(btw GT6 had as much new content as Forza 5, plus most of the existing content, a lot more than Forza 4 vs Forza 3, yet gets slated of being a rehash. Seems reviewers are just tired of track racing)

SvennoJ said:

While DC does invoke that feeling of driving on the Nordschleife, it's much closer to NFS Shift and PGR than GT. The difference is the speed. A sim racer keeps it realistic, while an arcade racer exeggerates grip and acceleration for a more immediate experience.

It's not a mediocre sim racer since it's not trying to be a sim racer. Unless you also think the original NFS is a mediocre sim racer? Anyway the true definition of arcade is the one more go principle and setting high scores. DC excels in that.

There are a lot of different arcade racers. What makes a fun arcade experience might not be fun for others, doesn't mean it's not a great arcade experience. I enjoy Wipeout best without the weapons, pure racing. For the same reason MK8 just doesn't do it for me, yet I still see the quality in the game. In NFS I don't like being the cops, I enjoy racing and evading. Turbo boost and radar jammer over offensive gimmicks.
After arcade racers resorting to stories (The run), annoying gimmicks (Split/Second), combat (Blur), or openworld to make things more 'interesting', DriveClub is a great return to what arcade racing is all about for me. Better than PGR, I played them all but never felt going beyond completing all the races.

(btw GT6 had as much new content as Forza 5, plus most of the existing content, a lot more than Forza 4 vs Forza 3, yet gets slated of being a rehash. Seems reviewers are just tired of track racing)

Again, Driveclub didn't quite find a balance that makes its a truly notable racer. If people are still having fun with it, great. I've had plenty of fun with games that only scored in the 60s or 70s on metacritic. I'm not sure why people are so bothered by it getting average scores. That atleast gives the impression critics enjoyed it at some level.

Driveclub is definitely a throwback but not necessarily one people want. I think its selling well because PS4 owners are thristy for a racing experience that isn't over the top like NFS and The Crew. The first party push doesn't hurt either.

Its possible track racers are scoring lower because critics are getting tired of them. The bar hasn't been raised much since Forza 3 and GT5 other than visuals. The Forza Horizon series has actually been refreshing change of pace. That's a mix of track racing and open world gameplay done incredibly well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

The beauty of taste and opinion. If I want a racing game I prefer a game like DC. Otherwise I go having fun with GTA, where you have plenty of open world driving. I agree with you about Media expecting now 'open world' and innovation everywhere, and lowering the score if this does not happen. But I have a different opinion about racing games, and for me it's more important a realistic handlng/physics engine and pure driving to the limit rather than having fun with a more arcady open world Forza Horizon. It's just a matter of taste. For me DC >>>> Forza Horizon.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Mr Puggsly said:

Again, Driveclub didn't quite find a balance that makes its a truly notable racer. If people are still having fun with it, great. I've had plenty of fun with games that only scored in the 60s or 70s on metacritic. I'm not sure why people are so bothered by it getting an average.

Driveclub is definitely a throwback but not necessarily one people want. I think its doing well because PS4 owners are thristy for a racing experience that isn't as over the top as NFS and The Crew.

Its possible track racers are scoring lower because critics are getting tired of them. But the bar hasn't been raised much since Forza 3 and GT5 other than visuals. The Forza Horizon series has actually been refreshing change of pace. That's a mix of track racing and open world gameplay done incredibly well.

What balance though? Anyway I'm not bothered about the score, just like talking about Driveclub. It's definitely the throwback I was looking for.

Forza Horizon is not that refreshing, there were plenty open world racers before it with more activities, longer races (TDU series, Burnout paradise), better races keeping you working for it instead of checking of race after race (Midnight club LA), and cop chases and better sense of speed (NFS Hot pursuit, Most wanted, Rivals) What Forza Horizon brought is apparently what you hold against DC, a more sim like handling model.

I enjoyed Forza Horizon but the track racing was average. The final race I didn't even have competition, the AI screwed up in the beginning and I never saw them again during the race. Plus all the slight varieties in tracks quickly became repetitive, same with the world that didn't offer anything new after the first 2 hours. It was fun going for speed records yet after completing all the rasces in 13 hours I was kinda over the game. I'm still looking forward to playing FH2, just not for any skill based racing. Same with the crew. Not for racing, for cruising coast to coast. I spend over 100 hours on ETS2 just for that too. Aberdeen to Verona through the channel tunnel without a speed limiter, reaching 160kph in a fully upgraded Scania :) (That has an addictive build your truck emporium game though, dunno how long the crew will entertain me)

The bar in arcade racers has been raised beyond visuals. Challenge mode is a game changer, especially for people like me that don't really care about online racing. Racing other people asynchronously is much more enjoyable to me, no wait times involved or idiots crashing into you.