By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN "Recent sales data indicates Super Smash Bros. may not have given Wii U the boost it needs."

Guys I get that these arguments can get a bit heated but please refrain from the snarky comments and digs. Also those quote trees, seriously.

Around the Network

What did SSB do for the N64 and GC?

XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:
XanderXT said:

Do you think you could sell that PC and Profit? If you do, you'd be overpricing it.

Nintendo doesn't buy its parts off the shelf.  They get massively reduced prices due to volume of scale.  And yeah I still could.

How about you try controlling a 130 year old electronics company before telling what Nintendo to do then?

Resorting to logical falacies when you have nothing else to say.  What I said is the truth.  You cannot say it isn't based on any facts, so now you are saying I couldn't possibly make a better decision than Nintendo because I am not Nintendo.  Real smart thinking.

You know MS, Sony, AND Nintendo have made too many mistakes to count.  They are far from infallible.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:

Resorting to logical falacies when you have nothing else to say.  What I said is the truth.  You cannot say it isn't based on any facts, so now you are saying I couldn't possibly make a better decision than Nintendo because I am not Nintendo.  Real smart thinking.

You know MS, Sony, AND Nintendo have made too many mistakes to count.  They are far from infallible.

I never said that they couldn't make mistakes. Nintendo's aim is profitabilty, not sales. This is the reason they used Cartridges on N64 and Minidiscs on Gamecube. If they cut the price now, then they will lose profitabilty. They don't have anything else to fall on when that happens, unlike Microsoft who uses Xbox Live suscription or their other divisions. But please, let's stop arguing. We aren't gonna change each other perceptions. I am already asking politely.

It seems to have continued to assist in year over year growth. A statement like the one quoted is so relative that I don't even know where to begin.  What boost did the wiiu need and for what purpose? Smash and the amiibo's it is helping to push are projecting to have a massive impact on Nintendo profits. To me a massive profits booster is the boost the Wiiu needed.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I never said that they couldn't make mistakes. Nintendo's aim is profitabilty, not sales. This is the reason they used Cartridges on N64 and Minidiscs on Gamecube. If they cut the price now, then they will lose profitabilty. They don't have anything else to fall on when that happens, unlike Microsoft who uses Xbox Live suscription or their other divisions. But please, let's stop arguing. We aren't gonna change each other perceptions. I am already asking politely.

So in your opinion Nintendo should still use cartridges to be profitable?  You do know that massively reduced their profits because of the cost manufacture those things right?

What you just gave is another excellent example of Nintendo thinking they will do better overall clinging to some inferior product choice instead of embracing reality.

The fact is that whithin a year:

PS4=$400

X1=$300

PS3=$150

360=$100

If the Wii U wants to compete in that stack up it needs to be near last-gen prices.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Another doom article/thread?

I think the wii u is doing ok but could be doing a lot better.

People always say how "you can't expect one game to reverse a console's fortunes" but how many have you had now? Smash Bros, MK8, Mario 3D World, etc. etc. etc.

Blarg said:
People always say how "you can't expect one game to reverse a console's fortunes" but how many have you had now? Smash Bros, MK8, Mario 3D World, etc. etc. etc.

It's not like their have been many people expecting Wii U to have some type of miraculous turnaround for quite some time now. The majority of people have gotten their expectations in check, big releases will cause a nice boost upon launch but nothing is likely to cause sales to skyrocket in the longterm.

Two years in and Wii U sales are roughly around 8 million, the device still receives long periods of time between major releases (Donkey Kong-Feb, Mario Kart-May, Hyrule Warriors-Aug/Sept, Smash Bros-Nov/Dec) basically a single million seller every 3 months. It doesnt have the lineup or price point for people unless they are big fans of select Nintendo franchises like Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Yeah sadly i think all wii u fans know it will never sell amazing maybe 15 million lifetime. Anything over 20mill would be good but looks like it will be going into 2015 below 10 million.