By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon US December bestsellers thread - updated 01/01/15. AC X1 bundle #1, PS4 #15 & Destiny bundle #90

Bass_salts said:
Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:
Looks like Xbox is continuing the holiday domination. The gap for December will be significant. North American gap will be reduced even further. Interesting.

Not really, its a very strong happening where a strong product that sales great all year vs a weaker one that relies on bundles giveaways and "temporary" price cuts for the holidays.  It happens in many markets where the weaker lesser seller is forced into losses to maintain relevence and save their minority share doring short term sales bonanzas.  Good for the consumer, a death trap for the product and brand.

A death trap for the brand that is Xbox?  Ok I've heard it all now. 

Conditioning the industry that your product is weak 90% of the year and only sales well on fire sales is great in your mind right?  cuttign price by near half in one year is a testament to its strength in your eyes right ?

X1 and MS failure with it has severly damaged the brand, given all the lies and price cuts and giveaways needed to sale anything they have badly devalued the brand.  Xbox is no longer a product you buy early or day one.  Now you wait a year and buy it for half the price.  

Around the Network
Bass_salts said:
Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:
Looks like Xbox is continuing the holiday domination. The gap for December will be significant. North American gap will be reduced even further. Interesting.

Not really, its a very strong happening where a strong product that sales great all year vs a weaker one that relies on bundles giveaways and "temporary" price cuts for the holidays.  It happens in many markets where the weaker lesser seller is forced into losses to maintain relevence and save their minority share doring short term sales bonanzas.  Good for the consumer, a death trap for the product and brand.

no, he's actually correct. if the xbox one can only sell when they drop the price three times in less than a year ($400, $350, $329 on black friday) with two free games one being a brand new $60 game with a $30 game, and a $50 gift card selling for about as much as a ps3 in their home territory with a sweet ass call of duty custom bone, a vanilla sunset overdrive bone and the flagship halo mcc and can only manage to outsell the ps4 during the holidays in only the united states, then yes, it is a death trap. before the holidays they occasionally got outsold by the wii u.

Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:
Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:

Conditioning the industry that your product is weak 90% of the year and only sales well on fire sales is great in your mind right?  cuttign price by near half in one year is a testament to its strength in your eyes right ?

X1 and MS failure with it has severly damaged the brand, given all the lies and price cuts and giveaways needed to sale anything they have badly devalued the brand.  Xbox is no longer a product you buy early or day one.  Now you wait a year and buy it for half the price.  

I think MS revived the brand by damaging its viability. From a corporate perspective, they are throwing good money after bad; when you have a product that you have to sell at a loss to move, you usually discontinue the line. From a brand perspective, all that matters is that the consumer has confidence in the product and buys it. I'd hate to be Phil Spencer right now, because there must be immense pressure to make the X1 a viable product in 2015. Regardless, the brand value has been salvaged, and I would suspect that other companies would have to pay a premium to secure it from MS.

Insidb said:

I think MS revived the brand by damaging its viability. From a corporate perspective, they are throwing good money after bad; when you have a product that you have to sell at a loss to move, you usually discontinue the line. From a brand perspective, all that matters is that the consumer has confidence in the product and buys it. I'd hate to be Phil Spencer right now, because there must be immense pressure to make the X1 a viable product in 2015. Regardless, the brand value has been salvaged, and I would suspect that other companies would have to pay a premium to secure it from MS.

They revived the X1, at the cost of the brand.

Im confident that you dont buy a abox anytime but on sale, would you deny that ?

Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:

You do know this is the same tactic MS ran with 360 as well, don't you? I am not saying it is good or bad, but it has benefitted them in the past. Also, I am not sure they are loosing money, since they have only made a temporary drop by 50$, otherwise they have to SKU: one with Kinect for 499$ and one without for 399$. And you also act as if PS4 hasn't had any deals this holiday, which I find interesting :).

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Aphelion said:
Bass_salts said:

You do know this is the same tactic MS ran with 360 as well, don't you? I am not saying it is good or bad, but it has benefitted them in the past. Also, I am not sure they are loosing money, since they have only made a temporary drop by 50$, otherwise they have to SKU: one with Kinect for 499$ and one without for 399$. And you also act as if PS4 hasn't had any deals this holiday, which I find interesting :).

360 sold well all year, x1 does not.  

Deals bundles happen each year, since the dawn of consoles.  3 price cuts in one year  ($400, $350, $329) is someting else.

Aphelion said:
Puppyroach said:

Deals bundles happen each year, since the dawn of consoles.  3 price cuts in one year  ($400, $350, $329) is someting else.

Comparing the timeframe, X1 has actually pulled ahead of 360, even in Europe. 360 did sell good during the first three quarters, but it was the holidays that made 360 pull ahead, in front of PS3 almost every year.

So you mean MS dropped the price of X1 to 399$ AND included the Kinect? I must have missed that press release...

And when did MS announce 329$? It seems you try, quite desperately, to paint a bleak picture on purpose, not by looking at the real situation.

Insidb said:
Based upon last month's Amazon rankings, we should expect 2 things:

1) Another X1 win.
2) A smaller margin of victory.

Isn't that what we all predicted (because the PS4 price never dropped)?

How'd you come to the conclusion for #2? November had more PS4 skus than this month in the top 100, and the gap for NPD was atleast 400k. Following that logic, the gap should be bigger.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Puppyroach said:
Aphelion said:
Puppyroach said:

Comparing the timeframe, X1 has actually pulled ahead of 360, even in Europe. 360 did sell good during the first three quarters, but it was the holidays that made 360 pull ahead, in front of PS3 almost every year.

So you mean MS dropped the price of X1 to 399$ AND included the Kinect? I must have missed that press release...

And when did MS announce 329$? It seems you try, quite desperately, to paint a bleak picture on purpose, not by looking at the real situation.

posted on other page by other user

"if the xbox one can only sell when they drop the price three times in less than a year ($400, $350, $329 on black friday) with two free games one being a brand new $60 game with a $30 game, and a $50 gift card selling for about as much as a ps3 in their home territory with a sweet ass call of duty custom bone, a vanilla sunset overdrive bone and the flagship halo mcc and can only manage to outsell the ps4 during the holidays in only the united states, then yes, it is a death trap. before the holidays they occasionally got outsold by the wii u."

Real situaton, bleak as hell no matter how much you pretand other wise.

Aphelion said:
Puppyroach said:

I think you don´t know that the PS4 hardware has been selling with a very small profit (if at all) margin for months. Does it makes the PS4 early lead illegitimate?

MS lost almost $100 for each 360 sold in the first two or so year, Sony more than $200 with the PS3.

Your line of argument doesn´t make sense and fells only like a fanboy pulling straws.