By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario Maker mean 2D Mario will likely be on hiatus for a while?

The new footage of this looks awesome. Has it been confirmed yet that levels can be traded with friends online? If so this is gonna be a great game to bolster the Miiverse community

Around the Network

2d mario is a 1 per console thing anyway so we wasn't going t get a second on the wii u, unless you count the new luigi bros expansion which was released stand alone.

Nintendo already said they would only make one 2D Mario per system so no new game until next gen

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

I think yes.

NSMB is finally getting its deserved break. It was amazing on the DS, and great on the Wii, but although it was also really fun on 3DS and WiiU (best level design IMO, but I still prefer NSMB for the multiplayer), it got a little repetitive.
Really excited for Mario Maker, I'd love to see what the community has to offer in terms of level design.

My favorite art style has to be Super Mario Advance 4. It's the SMB3 style but in 32/16 bit!

Around the Network

I don't mind. Recent NSMB have been pretty stale and Mario Maker looks great. If it has an LBP-like level sharing system it'll be one of my most anticipated games of 2015.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

This is actually one of the reasons why I'm excited for Mario Maker, since it'll make 2D Mario obsolete until they re-invent the series again. It's just that the NSMB games are so bland. I want more SM64-like games...

yoshi's wooly world looks better than any mario thats come out in a while anyway. I hope it takes a break for a long while.

Systems Owned: PS1, PS2, PS3,PS4, Wii, WiiU, xbox, xbox 360, xbox one

Hopefully yes... Those "New" Super Mario Bros games don't feel that new anymore, eh?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I think NSMB has run its course. All 4 games are excellent, but it's time to change 2D Mario up a bit again.