By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Mario Maker mean 2D Mario will likely be on hiatus for a while?

Samus Aran said:
t3mporary_126 said:
I'm really excited that Mario Maker has Super Mario Bros. 3 and World's sprite style. Wouldn't mind paying 60$ for this now.

It's actually pretty sad that those styles look a lot better than the modern style.

I know right? I wouldn't mind if the New Super Mario Bros. had these sprite with HD shine and shader.

Also here's a video of the footage from the award show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-IUcv1Tpvc

Looks like there's level designs for normal overworld, underground, water level, and castle. Now they need ice levels, desert, big world, sky level, and lava level.

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
Samus Aran said:
t3mporary_126 said:
I'm really excited that Mario Maker has Super Mario Bros. 3 and World's sprite style. Wouldn't mind paying 60$ for this now.

It's actually pretty sad that those styles look a lot better than the modern style.

I know right? I wouldn't mind if the New Super Mario Bros. had these sprite with HD shine and shader.

Also here's a video of the footage from the award show.

Looks like there's level designs for normal overworld, underground, water level, and castle. Now they need ice levels, desert, big world, sky level, and lava level.

Will be a good game for people who still love retro 2D Mario games. I personally only grew up with Super Mario Land 1 & 2 so I don't have any nostalgic feelings for the franchise. I was actually surprised Bowser was the main enemy of Mario, I grew up with Wario! I even called Bowser "Browser" when I was a kid and when I learned it was "Bowser" I thought it sounded silly. Now of course I think it was me being silly. ;p

Carl2291 said:
I think it just means you shouldnt expect anymore 2D Mario on Wii U.

Stupid Nintendo, listening to their "fans" again.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again: A $249 Mario Maker bundle next spring is the WiiU's best chance at mass-market sales worldwide.

Samus Aran said:
Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:

That would be the only positive thing about Mario Maker if that's true!
2D Mario is bland, repetitive (you fight the same bosses like 17 times in one game, looking at you Boomboom), uninspired, incredibly artificial and stale level design, etc.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the opposite of all that: dynamic, organic, creative level design.

You're killing me. 2D mario has amazing level design. (Boss Battles are not the important part of any 2D mario and I cant fathom people expecting them to be memorable.)

Tropical Freeze does make use of it's environemt better, but I'd say DKC is more just a different experience.

Nintendo can't make good bosses, most of them suck. Retro Studios is an exception to this, although some of their bosses are very low on my list as well. Bosses are a part of the game, so it should be just as good as the rest of the game. The only decent Mario boss fight I can remember is the final Bowser fight in 3D World. I love Mario games (3D ones at least), but the bosses suck, plain and simple. 

For the record: I'm talking about the modern 2D Mario games. I love Super Mario Land 2. 

Modern 2D mario games get way too much pointless hate, I think. Especially since people are all

"I hate the bland locals of NSMB like forests, oceans and deserts. The unique environments of Super Mario World like forests, oceans and deserts are so much better."

I dont care if bosses suck, because I'm in a 2D platforming for the level, not the boss.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:
Smear-Gel said:
Samus Aran said:

That would be the only positive thing about Mario Maker if that's true!
2D Mario is bland, repetitive (you fight the same bosses like 17 times in one game, looking at you Boomboom), uninspired, incredibly artificial and stale level design, etc.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the opposite of all that: dynamic, organic, creative level design.

You're killing me. 2D mario has amazing level design. (Boss Battles are not the important part of any 2D mario and I cant fathom people expecting them to be memorable.)

Tropical Freeze does make use of it's environemt better, but I'd say DKC is more just a different experience.

Nintendo can't make good bosses, most of them suck. Retro Studios is an exception to this, although some of their bosses are very low on my list as well. Bosses are a part of the game, so it should be just as good as the rest of the game. The only decent Mario boss fight I can remember is the final Bowser fight in 3D World. I love Mario games (3D ones at least), but the bosses suck, plain and simple. 

For the record: I'm talking about the modern 2D Mario games. I love Super Mario Land 2. 

Modern 2D mario games get way too much pointless hate, I think. Especially since people are all

"I hate the bland locals of NSMB like forests, oceans and deserts. The unique environments of Super Mario World like forests, oceans and deserts are so much better."

I dont care if bosses suck, because I'm in a 2D platforming for the level, not the boss.

Super Mario 3D Land final boss fight was basically a platforming level: that's how you do a good boss in a platforming game! 

Let's hope so.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Carl2291 said:
I think it just means you shouldnt expect anymore 2D Mario on Wii U.

That makes sense.

Cant help but wonder if these levels would carry over to any sequels on future consoles.

There's only been one NSMB game per system and the Wii U n 3DS already have one, so yeah we shouldn't see another until the HDS/4DS/whatever the heck they call it!

That's been my hope since the day this was announced. I mean honestly if there truly needs to be another 2d Mario game after this, then Nintendo really didn't live up to what this game should be. If it's done right, all we might need in the foreseeable future for 2d Mario is a Mario Maker for the next console. Basically I'm hoping this will be good enough to take the place of the NSMB series.