By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Engadget: Unreleased Sony movies leak online following studio hack

mornelithe said:

Doesn't really matter, honestly. The folks who were going to pirate it, were going to pirate it anyway. So, the damage will be minimal.

Sony should probably start thinking about investing in the quantum computing machines, though.  Impossible to hack (at least, as far as I'm aware).

This is true, I always buy new.  Also the people who where not planning to pay, won't and pirate instead.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:

Really, all should block IPs coming from North Korea completely. (I wonder why they have gotten IPs...).

As if any legitimate hacker uses their own IP address.
The modern hack is done through botnets. The only way to trace them back to an ip is to have another hacker on the other side datamining the route being used while the connection is open.

Not the point I was making. Why do they have internet access at all? I doubt the normal guy in N.Korea has *any* chance to get internet access and even if, it is totally controlled by the government which makes it not a "real" internet access for me as most probably the government has white-/blacklists of allowed sites.

I wonder why they got IPs, really.

Ah, Wikipedia supports what I was thinking:

"Usage of communication technology is controlled by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications. An adequate nationwide fiber-optic telephone system with 1.18 million fixed lines[301] and expanding mobile coverage is in place.[302] Most phones are installed for senior government officials and installation requires written explanation why the user needs a telephone and how it will be paid for.[303] Cellular coverage is available with a 3G network operated by Koryolink, a joint venture with Orascom Telecom Holding.[304] The number of subscribers has increased from 3,000 in 2002[305] to almost two million in 2013.[304] International calls through either fixed or cellular service are restricted, and mobile Internet is not available.[304] Internet access itself is limited to a handful of elite users and scientists. Instead, North Korea has a walled garden intranet system called Kwangmyong,[306] which is maintained and monitored by the Korea Computer Center.[307] Its content is limited to state media, chat services, message boards,[306] an e-mail service and an estimated 1,000-5,500 websites.[308] Computers employ the Red Star OS, an operating system derived from Linux, with a user shell visually similar to OS X. North Korea's only Internet café is in Pyongyang.[308]"

how hard would it be to completely cut all internet access going to NK, Iran and other places like that?

don't they need fiber optics or other means to connect to other servers? or thet use sat?

In short, this is easily possible via routing protocols :) No need to cut cables or something. But the internet is mostly "made" and maintained by people who don't really care for politics and with a thinking that restrictions are a bad thing (which they are).

At this rate Sony will be synonymous with the word hack

walsufnir said

Not the point I was making. Why do they have internet access at all? I doubt the normal guy in N.Korea has *any* chance to get internet access and even if, it is totally controlled by the government which makes it not a "real" internet access for me as most probably the government has white-/blacklists of allowed sites.

I wonder why they got IPs, really.

Ah, Wikipedia supports what I was thinking:

"Usage of communication technology is controlled by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications. An adequate nationwide fiber-optic telephone system with 1.18 million fixed lines[301] and expanding mobile coverage is in place.[302] Most phones are installed for senior government officials and installation requires written explanation why the user needs a telephone and how it will be paid for.[303] Cellular coverage is available with a 3G network operated by Koryolink, a joint venture with Orascom Telecom Holding.[304] The number of subscribers has increased from 3,000 in 2002[305] to almost two million in 2013.[304] International calls through either fixed or cellular service are restricted, and mobile Internet is not available.[304] Internet access itself is limited to a handful of elite users and scientists. Instead, North Korea has a walled garden intranet system called Kwangmyong,[306] which is maintained and monitored by the Korea Computer Center.[307] Its content is limited to state media, chat services, message boards,[306] an e-mail service and an estimated 1,000-5,500 websites.[308] Computers employ the Red Star OS, an operating system derived from Linux, with a user shell visually similar to OS X. North Korea's only Internet café is in Pyongyang.[308]"

how hard would it be to completely cut all internet access going to NK, Iran and other places like that?

don't they need fiber optics or other means to connect to other servers? or thet use sat?

In short, this is easily possible via routing protocols :) No need to cut cables or something. But the internet is mostly "made" and maintained by people who don't really care for politics and with a thinking that restrictions are a bad thing (which they are).

Yep, just to confirm I wasn't allucinating. But international bodies could press for it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

theprof00 said:
DonFerrari said:

in short, it's physically impossible.

EDIT:
Like, literally just make 100k small usb thumb drives, ship them to china, ship those to America, have an inside man create a company that gives away the drives for whatever, charity, or weight loss. Anythign that will make people bite. Not everyone has all the protection on their computers up to date. A simple text file could send thousands of users to a remote site where a port can be opened, and funneled to a personal satellite. That then bounces to china, then to korea, where all the ips are traced to physical addresses, and with enough time, personal information. They then keep infecting other computers through falsified emails and when they find someone they want, they pump it hard, getting things like the types of passwords you use. Then they apply that to everything else.

It's hard to figure out a password, but say all your passwords are:
Batman12
Superman001
Flash69

It's relatively easy for a computer to figure out eventually.
People make hacking out to be some complex system, but it's a pretty simple affair with the right software.

You wanna know how easy it is to hack? Go wardriving sometime.
Use a laptop, scan wifi in the area as you drive from block to block. Once you've connected, instead of using the password, enter 192.168.1.1 that'll connect you to the router. After that, look up a website showing all the standard passwords for wifi based on teh router make and model. As a kid we used to do this all the time. You'd be amazed, really. If we had malicious intent, we could have easily set up camp in hundreds of computers, mined all their data, keystrokes, media, connections, etc. You can even create fake websites that people log into. Say they have a work account and are logging in from home. You can create a proxy website that matches the one they are trying to reach, simply by creating a proxy server, and replacing the internet icon to rout to the proxy. As soon as they attempt to log in, all the information is then sent to a remote computer who then quickly logs in and changes the password. The infection can then freeze the computer so they don't know anything is wrong yet, and simulate fake problems like overheating, or video card errors, and ask the user to reboot.

We used to just break in, and create a ms paint picture with spiderman saying "change your router password", and set it as the desktop background.

Don't forget the more convoluted the invasion the bigger the footprint left for forensic.

altough internal job would make it hard to find and you can't cut all comunication that would allow for bribering.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Don't forget the more convoluted the invasion the bigger the footprint left for forensic.

altough internal job would make it hard to find and you can't cut all comunication that would allow for bribering.

Yeha the bigger the footprint, but what does that matter if you're in a country that doesn't abide by western laws?

ANd yes, one of the main goals of a hack is to get the user to self infect.

Think about it like this. The house you live on is a country. Your cell phone number is attached to your country. You are cut from the internet. How do you get back online?

Now ask the same question for your block.
Now ask the same question for your town.

Now give yourself a billion dollars. How do you get back online?

There is literally no way to completely cut someone off.

theprof00 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeha the bigger the footprint, but what does that matter if you're in a country that doesn't abide by western laws?

ANd yes, one of the main goals of a hack is to get the user to self infect.

Think about it like this. The house you live on is a country. Your cell phone number is attached to your country. You are cut from the internet. How do you get back online?

Now ask the same question for your block.
Now ask the same question for your town.

Now give yourself a billion dollars. How do you get back online?

There is literally no way to completely cut someone off.

The most you could do is sanction the countries that are behind it, not that they don't do that already.

I would just try hijacking a neighbor connection. But as I said satelite would workaround it, but if said countries don't have resources to make one And all physical lines were cut what could they do?

And nuking the country would definetively make it unable to hack you after.

DonFerrari said:

The most you could do is sanction the countries that are behind it, not that they don't do that already.

I would just try hijacking a neighbor connection. But as I said satelite would workaround it, but if said countries don't have resources to make one And all physical lines were cut what could they do?

lol a little drastic. But, even without a satellite, you can hijack a satellite with a computer and a satellite phone. Don't need a whole dish to do it.

You could get online for as little as 10k. I don't think there are any countries that don't have the resources either. All those countries that we think are third world have were rich governments. Middle East nations are backed by oil trade, NK by slave labor and trade with their allies. NK is actually a huge industrial nation. Once upon a time when Korea was whole and they were deciding to split, the controlling state decided they wanted the natural resources and the manufacturing, so they took North Korea. Only problem was that South Korea is where all the food was grown. The north is all mountains and the south is all plains. This is why from a human standpoint, NK is third world, because they can't physically feed their population. Sure they can buy food and distribute, but that's subject to corruption and never works. Food needs to be an infrastructure of private and public sources. Anyway, NK definitely has the money is the long and short of it....the money to do really whatever they want.

Why are the hackers so mad at Sony...?

theprof00 said:
DonFerrari said:

lol a little drastic. But, even without a satellite, you can hijack a satellite with a computer and a satellite phone. Don't need a whole dish to do it.

You could get online for as little as 10k. I don't think there are any countries that don't have the resources either. All those countries that we think are third world have were rich governments. Middle East nations are backed by oil trade, NK by slave labor and trade with their allies. NK is actually a huge industrial nation. Once upon a time when Korea was whole and they were deciding to split, the controlling state decided they wanted the natural resources and the manufacturing, so they took North Korea. Only problem was that South Korea is where all the food was grown. The north is all mountains and the south is all plains. This is why from a human standpoint, NK is third world, because they can't physically feed their population. Sure they can buy food and distribute, but that's subject to corruption and never works. Food needs to be an infrastructure of private and public sources. Anyway, NK definitely has the money is the long and short of it....the money to do really whatever they want.

Makes a lot of sense. But then Sony nuking nk would be the only option to avoid hacking from there (but other countries would still be a problem) to bad they don't take wasulfunir advise of expending more on safety and adquire an ogive. Damn poverty of Sony, onu threats and peacefull mindset of japanese.