By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Engadget: Unreleased Sony movies leak online following studio hack

prayformojo said:
NiKKoM said:
how in the world did they get 100 terrabytes! of info and files from Sony.. 100 terrabytes! Thats some leak to go unnoticed..

More like a tsunami! I really don't understand the point though. Did Sony kill some dolphins or something?

Last I heard they killed Sega, inovation, geohotz freedom to hack them, and were making a killing this gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
prayformojo said:
NiKKoM said:
how in the world did they get 100 terrabytes! of info and files from Sony.. 100 terrabytes! Thats some leak to go unnoticed..

More like a tsunami! I really don't understand the point though. Did Sony kill some dolphins or something?

Last I heard they killed Sega, inovation, geohotz freedom to hack them, and were making a killing this gen.

I would like to hear from crazy Ken on this one! 

prayformojo said:
DonFerrari said:
prayformojo said:

I would like to hear from crazy Ken on this one! 

Ask him for us. Although the claims from N. Korea saying it was because of the movie is funny. And to this case there is a lot of people who resent Japan in Korea because of the invasion, not sure if the North holds the same feeling.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

walsufnir said:
kowenicki said:
Latest rumour. N. Korea did it !?

As pay back for a comedy about its glorious leader.

Really, all should block IPs coming from North Korea completely. (I wonder why they have gotten IPs...).

As if any legitimate hacker uses their own IP address.
The modern hack is done through botnets. The only way to trace them back to an ip is to have another hacker on the other side datamining the route being used while the connection is open.

theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
kowenicki said:

Really, all should block IPs coming from North Korea completely. (I wonder why they have gotten IPs...).

The modern hack is done through botnets. The only way to trace them back to an ip is to have another hacker on the other side datamining the route being used while the connection is open.

Not the point I was making. Why do they have internet access at all? I doubt the normal guy in N.Korea has *any* chance to get internet access and even if, it is totally controlled by the government which makes it not a "real" internet access for me as most probably the government has white-/blacklists of allowed sites.

I wonder why they got IPs, really.

Ah, Wikipedia supports what I was thinking:

"Usage of communication technology is controlled by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications. An adequate nationwide fiber-optic telephone system with 1.18 million fixed lines[301] and expanding mobile coverage is in place.[302] Most phones are installed for senior government officials and installation requires written explanation why the user needs a telephone and how it will be paid for.[303] Cellular coverage is available with a 3G network operated by Koryolink, a joint venture with Orascom Telecom Holding.[304] The number of subscribers has increased from 3,000 in 2002[305] to almost two million in 2013.[304] International calls through either fixed or cellular service are restricted, and mobile Internet is not available.[304] Internet access itself is limited to a handful of elite users and scientists. Instead, North Korea has a walled garden intranet system called Kwangmyong,[306] which is maintained and monitored by the Korea Computer Center.[307] Its content is limited to state media, chat services, message boards,[306] an e-mail service and an estimated 1,000-5,500 websites.[308] Computers employ the Red Star OS, an operating system derived from Linux, with a user shell visually similar to OS X. North Korea's only Internet café is in Pyongyang.[308]"

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

not good.  I dont like hacking of any kind. 

How about hacking of a computer belonging to a terrorist cell?

NiKKoM said:

Ctrl + A, Ctrl + C, Ctrl + V.

And i guess Sony were too busy making the movies to notice :P

walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:
kowenicki said:

Not the point I was making. Why do they have internet access at all? I doubt the normal guy in N.Korea has *any* chance to get internet access and even if, it is totally controlled by the government which makes it not a "real" internet access for me as most probably the government has white-/blacklists of allowed sites.

"Usage of communication technology is controlled by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications. An adequate nationwide fiber-optic telephone system with 1.18 million fixed lines[301] and expanding mobile coverage is in place.[302] Most phones are installed for senior government officials and installation requires written explanation why the user needs a telephone and how it will be paid for.[303] Cellular coverage is available with a 3G network operated by Koryolink, a joint venture with Orascom Telecom Holding.[304] The number of subscribers has increased from 3,000 in 2002[305] to almost two million in 2013.[304] International calls through either fixed or cellular service are restricted, and mobile Internet is not available.[304] Internet access itself is limited to a handful of elite users and scientists. Instead, North Korea has a walled garden intranet system called Kwangmyong,[306] which is maintained and monitored by the Korea Computer Center.[307] Its content is limited to state media, chat services, message boards,[306] an e-mail service and an estimated 1,000-5,500 websites.[308] Computers employ the Red Star OS, an operating system derived from Linux, with a user shell visually similar to OS X. North Korea's only Internet café is in Pyongyang.[308]"

The *normal guy* in North Korea has no internet, and no phone, no access to the outside world due to government control.

Is your question how this guy above could get an IP? He can't.

That doesn't mean all people from NK can't get access, or don't have means to access. Regardless, I doubt this is NK anyway.

EDIT: The US government released a report a while back showing that hackers were coming from NK, China, Middle East, and others. So yeah, they have the ability.

walsufnir said:
theprof00 said:
walsufnir said:

how hard would it be to completely cut all internet access going to NK, Iran and other places like that?

don't they need fiber optics or other means to connect to other servers? or thet use sat?

DonFerrari said:

how hard would it be to completely cut all internet access going to NK, Iran and other places like that?

don't they need fiber optics or other means to connect to other servers? or thet use sat?

in short, it's physically impossible.

EDIT:
Like, literally just make 100k small usb thumb drives, ship them to china, ship those to America, have an inside man create a company that gives away the drives for whatever, charity, or weight loss. Anythign that will make people bite. Not everyone has all the protection on their computers up to date. A simple text file could send thousands of users to a remote site where a port can be opened, and funneled to a personal satellite. That then bounces to china, then to korea, where all the ips are traced to physical addresses, and with enough time, personal information. They then keep infecting other computers through falsified emails and when they find someone they want, they pump it hard, getting things like the types of passwords you use. Then they apply that to everything else.

It's hard to figure out a password, but say all your passwords are:
Batman12
Superman001
Flash69

It's relatively easy for a computer to figure out eventually.
People make hacking out to be some complex system, but it's a pretty simple affair with the right software.

You wanna know how easy it is to hack? Go wardriving sometime.
Use a laptop, scan wifi in the area as you drive from block to block. Once you've connected, instead of using the password, enter 192.168.1.1 that'll connect you to the router. After that, look up a website showing all the standard passwords for wifi based on teh router make and model. As a kid we used to do this all the time. You'd be amazed, really. If we had malicious intent, we could have easily set up camp in hundreds of computers, mined all their data, keystrokes, media, connections, etc. You can even create fake websites that people log into. Say they have a work account and are logging in from home. You can create a proxy website that matches the one they are trying to reach, simply by creating a proxy server, and replacing the internet icon to rout to the proxy. As soon as they attempt to log in, all the information is then sent to a remote computer who then quickly logs in and changes the password. The infection can then freeze the computer so they don't know anything is wrong yet, and simulate fake problems like overheating, or video card errors, and ask the user to reboot.

We used to just break in, and create a ms paint picture with spiderman saying "change your router password", and set it as the desktop background.