By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Engadget: Unreleased Sony movies leak online following studio hack

foodfather said:
There was a time were this sort of stuff would make me smile, and certainly people would agree that Sony deserveed it and to make them improve on their online / network infrastructure. However this is unwarranted and taking it too far.

Your honesty is refreshing.

It also gives particular insight as to why hate and love for these companies exist. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Why are people so happy about this? hackers is an plague, troll and a criminal. if they don't stop now, they might change everything good into something bad. if they stop hacking Sony, they will just find someone else. But i guess this fanboy war is more important to you all unless they attack your preference

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Baryonyx said:
Why are people so happy about this? hackers is an plague, troll and a criminal. if they don't stop now, they might change everything good into something bad. if they stop hacking Sony, they will just find someone else. But i guess this fanboy war is more important to you all unless they attack your preference

well, sony is a mega corperation, and all those should die.  but i think m$ deserves it more, after working with the nsa to spy on us.

Tachikoma said:
ignoring that completely, these "leaked" files list as 0 seeds, 0 peers..

so a publicity stunt more likely?

KLAMarine said:
Tachikoma said:
ignoring that completely, these "leaked" files list as 0 seeds, 0 peers..

so a publicity stunt more likely?

I dont think so, on various torrent sites such as tpb, movies like "Fury" from the hack are the top downloaded ones atm with plenty of seeders and leechers. Also, judging from the comments, its veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy legit

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Wasulfunir revealing his vast knowledge on it and servers. Like Driveclub online problems were because Sony didn't invest enough in infraestruture but then Halo MCC suffers the same fate and both were more on coding side than Server capacity.
Sony get hacked (other companies as well from the past 2 weeks) and their internal structure sucks and they should invest more money. Will you comment on the incompetence of the other companies as well?

But I bet these hackers done all of this for our sake as the claims from 2 weeks ago said but them they released data from users they swear they wouldn't reveal so they wouldn't be harmed. Quite the achievement indeed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

walsufnir said:
This is part of one of the biggest hacking achievement I read about in recent years...

This is one of the stupidest blackmail attempt i read about in years.

Why did they hack Sony in the first place? Just for the hell of it, or did they have a motive?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Also when Sony made the most hack impervious console ever with ps3 then it deserved to be hacked because they took Linux after hackers showed to use it to run unauthorized sw (but the "it's my machine I do what I want" and "freedom of knowledge" group says it's fine to release the how to for everyone and that is no crime). And Sony invited them with the challenge and by removing Linux. But it was for homebrew not for pirating. Even if pirating and cheating are the biggest use.

Guess Sony can't win. In all cases they are either too secure and attract hackers or too lenient and easy to do. Always at fault.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

A recent hack of Sony Pictures resulted in a leak of at least five of the company's movies and the disabling of its corporate networks and email. The attack began last Monday, when screens at Sony displayed the words "Hacked By #GOP," as well as images of a skull. (#GOP reportedly stands for Guardians of Peace.) According to NBC News, an accompanying message "threatened to release 'secrets and top secrets' of the company."

The Los Angeles Times' Ryan Faughnder told NPR's Melissa Block that the hack caused major disruption at Sony last week. "They were going pretty old school," Faughnder said. "[Employees] were going on Facebook saying people would have to be calling them on traditional land lines. They'd have to use pens and paper. They'd booted up their fax machines. People were even using chalkboards, reportedly, to do business."

Faughnder says the hackers told Sony they have personal data on actors attached to Sony films and Sony financial data that they will leak as well.

Film leaks were another result of the hack. The Sony films Annie, Mr. Turner, Still Alice, To Write Love on Her Arms and Fury were released to file-sharing websites last week. Only Fury, a war film starring Brad Pitt, is currently in theaters, yet according to the consulting group Excipio, it's been downloaded the most.

Variety speculates on the reason behind the hacks and film leaks:

"Since the attack, some observers have speculated that the SPE network takedown was somehow related to "The Interview," the studio's geopolitical spoof starring James Franco and Seth Rogen (pictured above). In the film, slated for Dec. 25 release, Franco is host of latenight talkshow "Skylark Tonight" and Rogen plays his best friend and producer. When the duo secure an interview with Kim Jong-un, the mysterious and ruthless North Korean dictator, they are approached by the CIA and asked to assassinate the Korean leader."
The Telegraph reports that a spokesperson for Kim Jong-Un says the movie shows the "desperation" of American society.

The LA Times' Faughnder says Sony has recruited an IT forensics firm to investigate the security breach, and the FBI has launched an investigation into the matter as well. Today, Voice of America reported that North Korean officials said "wait and see" when asked if the country was involved in the hack.

Meanwhile, Seth Rogen, one of the directors and stars of The Interview, has continued to tweet about the movie. Last week, he shared a new trailer, with the words, "North Korea couldn't stop us!!! Here's the newest trailer for The Interview!!!"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/01/367838950/north-korean-government-thought-to-be-behind-sony-pictures-hack