By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Platinum's games don't sell well?

You agree with me?

Yes 85 53.13%

No 75 46.88%

Total:160

buy buy buy

Switch!!!

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:

This is a question I often see come up on VGC hence I thought a bit about it, and here's what I came up with.

1. Platinum's first major HD game suffered huge technical problems on its biggest platform: Bayonetta suffered major technical problems which effected its gameplay on PS3. The big problem was that most of Bayonetta's customers bought the PS3 version, which probably made them look at Platinum as a poor developer.

2. Platinum's games are short: Gamer's today seem to care far more about quantity than quality, and that's a problem for Platinum as their games are very good but also very short. Their games are usually 10 hours long, but one of their games MGR: R is just 5 hours long, with most of that time being cutscenes. That stops many people from buying their games even if they really want to play it.

3. Platinum's games are of niche genres: Most of Platinum's games are hack n slash, which is a very niche genre. The only mainstream game series in the genre is God Of War, even though their are many other series of this genre. The one which aren't hack n slash, like Wonderful 101 are even more niche. Platinum needs to broaden their appeal.

A correction. MG Rising doesn't have 5 hours. That's an idea that only people who didn't played the game have. The game has a counter, that'll end probably around 5 or 6 hours after the game is finished. However, the counter doesn't include cutscenes and replayed sections (if you die, it won't count that time. Just the time of between succesful checkpoints is counted. With plenty of cutscenes and a decent amount of deaths in difficult sessions or bosses, it's more like 8 to 12 hours depending on your skill.

bubblegamer said:
Most gamers don't like the games they make.

How do you know that?

d21lewis said:
AZWification said:

A lot? Besides The Legend of Korra and maybe MadWorld, what Platinum-developed game suck? :/

Sorry.  Was thinking of Suda 51.

I own quite a few Platinum games (Vanquish, Anarchy, MGR, Bayo 1 & 2) and I guess my biggest gripe is that they're niche and kinda short.

Platinum-developed games were always niche, even during the Clover Studio days! I also agree with the length.. Only Okami was a bit long when it came to length.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Wright said:
bubblegamer said:

How do you know that?

Why are they not buying them?

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
Wright said:
bubblegamer said:

How do you know that?

NICHE!!!!!! Its a curse word i tell you

bubblegamer said:
Wright said:

How do you know that?

Maybe a lot of people don't even know about Platinum's existence?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

On top of niche gameplay I'll add niche style. Some people (cough), find nearly all of their games of a certain bizarre Japanese style that is very nearly unbearable.

Bayonetta obviously being the strongest example of this. I played the demo for 2 and found the gameplay fun...but there's no way I would ever play the rest of it. It grates on my sanity.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Seems like most of their games turn out pretty good, would be nice if their games sold more.

AZWification said:
bubblegamer said:
Wright said:

How do you know that?

Maybe a lot of people don't even know about Platinum's existence?

Why do you think that is? Why do more people know who Square Enix is?