By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are reviewers being such hardasses this gen?

DerNebel said:

Games aren't "next gen" enough for them.

I don't have a problem with reviewers being a little harsher this gen, problem is that that wasn't communicated with anyone so a lot of people still operate under the assumption that everything has the same standard as 5 years ago, metacritic not changing their coloring system doesn't help with that either.

Imo you can add on average about 5 points to an aggregated score nowadays and you'll get about what the game would've gotten a couple years ago. Exception would be Nintendo games, they are still reviewed the same way as in gen 7, kinda appropriate to think that Nintendo is a couple years behind in that regard as well.

Ouch..... Damn You Der!!!!!!! Damn You!!!!!

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
DerNebel said:

Games aren't "next gen" enough for them.

I don't have a problem with reviewers being a little harsher this gen, problem is that that wasn't communicated with anyone so a lot of people still operate under the assumption that everything has the same standard as 5 years ago, metacritic not changing their coloring system doesn't help with that either.

Imo you can add on average about 5 points to an aggregated score nowadays and you'll get about what the game would've gotten a couple years ago. Exception would be Nintendo games, they are still reviewed the same way as in gen 7, kinda appropriate to think that Nintendo is a couple years behind in that regard as well.

Ouch..... Damn You Der!!!!!!! Damn You!!!!!

Being a couple years behind in this industry isn't all bad. Their hardware and online infrastructure is years behind the competitions but they also at least still finish their games before release and haven't caught up with the industries monetization schemes either.

I've wondered myself is 2013 was just a peak year in gaming which reset the bar.

We had several masterpieces in 2013: GTA V, The Last Of Us and Super Mario 3D World. Arguably GTA V and TLOU are the best games of both 2013 & 2014, although people don't want to acknowledge their existence in order to inflate the significance of other new titles.

I'm not a fan of the current review standards though. Some of my favorite games like Tomb Raider getting Meta of 85 is ridonculous.

My 8th gen collection

To save room for higher scores later. Or they just hate Sony exclusives because reasons

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I think its a reflection of the GamerGate effect on journalism. They know they are being watched now and bias and being bought by publishers and developers and the like has affected their reviews. They are now being neutral to games when they review them. Like they were supposed to be. Its only natural after many of the gaming sites and publications sent out commitment to integrity in journalism statements.

Believe it or not its a good thing. It means that the gaming journalism sites are put back in their place and we'll see actual reviews again and not hype spun advertisements paid for by the publishers.

Around the Network

Reviews have been pretty good this gen. With some exceptions like IGN's ORAS review.

Originals = 9.5/10
Remakes = 7.8/10

There's no reason that remakes that stays faithful the the originals, yet still improve upon them, should score 1.7 points lower.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Fusioncode said:

I don't get it. Are they tired of people not taking them seriously? Do they thinking giving lower scores is going to make them legit or something? Is it just their time of the month?

It's not that it's just that corruption has entered the frey. Back in the late 90's, you could read a review online and usually buy a game based on the number alone. Now? You can see a game get a 9 on one website and on another, only a 6. Why? Because money and gifts are thrown around like candy. The industry has gotten too big to rely on large media for reviews.

Scores were too high last gen. The fact 7/10 is now considered average makes a joke of an out of 10 system.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Emperorbach said:
lbp3 reviews are braking my heart
it is easily the best lbp by far

really the game came out yesterday, how many hours have you put in the game??

Beside a metascore of 79 is really good concidering the problem with the game. 

kljesta64 said:
and I thought they were giving high scores.

Haha ... I think most have been doing a great job with reviews. It's not the reviews guys it's the game or lack there of quality games. 

Game of the year 2014 is GTA V remastered and Last of Us Remastered.  Yeah for 7th gen ..... ehh 8th Gen game. (<---- Sarcastic)