By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are reviewers being such hardasses this gen?

and I thought they were giving high scores.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network

I think they are being fair. Last gen they were way too generous. Even average games were getting good scores which they didn't deserve.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

They are being fair now, most of the time at least.

It's called bribe incentives.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Kyuu said:
MoHasanie said:
I think they are being fair. Last gen they were way too generous. Even average games were getting good scores and which they didn't deserve.

Agreed. This might potentially add a bit of pressure on developers, forcing them to make better and more poilished games.

Thank Arceus we have Nintendo!!!!! :P

Around the Network

I guess its better than them being too generous. We need innovation and new IPs. Reviewers need to be on the lookout for that.

cause we have games being rushed out the door and filled with glitches and game breaking bugs.

Teeqoz said:

Nah, it's just that they were softasses (lol) the previous gens.

Pretty much.  A meta of 80 is actually really good now like it should be.

Games aren't "next gen" enough for them.

I don't have a problem with reviewers being a little harsher this gen, problem is that that wasn't communicated with anyone so a lot of people still operate under the assumption that everything has the same standard as 5 years ago, metacritic not changing their coloring system doesn't help with that either.

Imo you can add on average about 5 points to an aggregated score nowadays and you'll get about what the game would've gotten a couple years ago. Exception would be Nintendo games, they are still reviewed the same way as in gen 7, kinda appropriate to think that Nintendo is a couple years behind in that regard as well.

Kyuu said:
tbone51 said:
Kyuu said:
MoHasanie said:
I think they are being fair. Last gen they were way too generous. Even average games were getting good scores and which they didn't deserve.

Agreed. This might potentially add a bit of pressure on developers, forcing them to make better and more poilished games.

Thank Arceus we have Nintendo!!!!! :P

Well.. Nintendo's games haven't been scoring that high either. Wii U's first year was pretty average wasn't it?

Thats true but for wat its worth, it had few games and it has the current highest Metascore game of this gen :) http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193641&page=1