By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire a 7.8 because of too much water.....

Are you guys criticizing me for making this thread?

Around the Network
XanderXT said:
Are you guys criticizing me for making this thread?

I'm criticizing you for taking a point completely out of context to make a clickbait headline. You could've made this thread without doing that.

mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

Should a game be docked for its theme.

Well Polygon docked a certain game for being sexist, so it seems to be a thing now.

Edit: Well maybe being sexist is a bad thing, but Bayonetta 2 isn't... necessarily. Maybe.

Well here is the way I look at Bayonetta 2.

Lets say we have two identical volleyball games made.  Both play the exact same, both gameplay is amazing, fluid, flawless.  They both follow regulation volleyball rules, ect, ect.  Basically they are both 10/10 sports games for volleyball.

Now the one difference between the two games are is that one is a Olympic Volleyball game with real life volleyball players you play as.  the other is a dead or alive game, with big bouncy you know whats.  So just basically a skin change, or a quick mod if it was a pc game.

They should get the same freaking score.  Sexism or not, pretty sure I as the consumer can judge a game by its freaking cover.  It's not hard to look at the two games and decide NOT to buy DOA beach volleyball due to its sexist nature, something one can easily see from Bayonetta game cases as well.

Teeqoz said:
irstupid said:

The core mechanic isn't bad though.  It's just not to the reviewers liking.  

It's not to my liking either.  Moving in water is like being in tall grass 100% of the time.  Meaning unless i use repels i'm fighting too damn often for my tastes.  

But please tell me what could be improved upon for water?  You hop on a pokemon and move around the water.  you move around just like when on ground, your just on water.  You encounter trainers the same as on land, ect.  Only diffrence is as I said before, you are basically always in grass, thus always fighting.  No roads to run on to ignore battles, you need to pop a repel, which if my memory serves right isn't very expensive.  It tells you when it wears off and even lets you just select yes to apply a new one in seconds.  hardly a hassle.  

This game was obviously made with Water and Water Pokemon in mind.  Should a game be docked for its theme.  Should The Last of Us be docked because I'm sick of fighting zombies?  Besides there are like 150-200 water pokemon alone. So even ignoring all other types of pokemon it has enough in just that type to fill an entire game.

"The mechanic is just not to the reviewers liking"

No, ofcourse it isn't. I'll ask you again, have you read the link I gave you? It's literally impossible to make a review without OPINIONS and OPINIONS are PERSONAL and based on PREFERENCES and wether you like it or not BIASES. Let's for example take Mario Galaxy. I could say that all those reviewers giving it a 100 score are biased and shouldn't be reviewing the game, because the obviously are bieased towards liking the game mechanics.

But since you basically refute logic, there is no reason for me to continue this discussion, because the very idea of an unbiased review is impossible.

No I didn't read the link.  I don't go to links.  Links go to sites that are most likely of some shit that just wants views.  I stick to mainly forums so that these shit ass sites don't get revenue from me.  

I know what freaking opinions and preferences are.  Everyone has them and there is no way of keeping htem out of a review.  But just like any statistics one does you need to remove the outliers, because they are not a good representation of the data.  Something that since Metacritic doesn't do, makes it a complete joke to me.

To me this guy/girl reviewing this game sounds like an outlier.  Not because of the score.  Nothing wrong with 7.8, but because of the views expressed.  It seems this person despises the water aspect of Pokemon, from traveling to the pokemon.  Hardly someone that should be reveiwing a game that has it as its main theme.  Same as I said before with the court case.  you should not put a racist person on the jury for the whatever the case is going on with the cop and the black kid that cuased the riots.  It's clearly gonna be a completely biased point of view.  

And as I said before, it goes both ways.  A die hard pokefanatic should not review this game either.  You should not have Misty review this game.  

irstupid said:
Teeqoz said:

No, ofcourse it isn't. I'll ask you again, have you read the link I gave you? It's literally impossible to make a review without OPINIONS and OPINIONS are PERSONAL and based on PREFERENCES and wether you like it or not BIASES. Let's for example take Mario Galaxy. I could say that all those reviewers giving it a 100 score are biased and shouldn't be reviewing the game, because the obviously are bieased towards liking the game mechanics.

But since you basically refute logic, there is no reason for me to continue this discussion, because the very idea of an unbiased review is impossible.

No I didn't read the link.  I don't go to links.  Links go to sites that are most likely of some shit that just wants views.  I stick to mainly forums so that these shit ass sites don't get revenue from me.  

I know what freaking opinions and preferences are.  Everyone has them and there is no way of keeping htem out of a review.  But just like any statistics one does you need to remove the outliers, because they are not a good representation of the data.  Something that since Metacritic doesn't do, makes it a complete joke to me.

To me this guy/girl reviewing this game sounds like an outlier.  Not because of the score.  Nothing wrong with 7.8, but because of the views expressed.  It seems this person despises the water aspect of Pokemon, from traveling to the pokemon.  Hardly someone that should be reveiwing a game that has it as its main theme.  Same as I said before with the court case.  you should not put a racist person on the jury for the whatever the case is going on with the cop and the black kid that cuased the riots.  It's clearly gonna be a completely biased point of view.  

And as I said before, it goes both ways.  A die hard pokefanatic should not review this game either.  You should not have Misty review this game.  

So now you're changing your mind? Reviews can be biased after all? This person hardly despises the water aspects of pokemon, she just doesn't like them and don't think they're well executed. Despise is a very stong word. This score is 6 points below the average score. That's hardly an outlier. It just means she didn't like it quite as much as the average reviewer did.

Also, how can you say that this person despises the water aspect of pokemon when you haven't even read the review?

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

Well here is the way I look at Bayonetta 2.

Lets say we have two identical volleyball games made.  Both play the exact same, both gameplay is amazing, fluid, flawless.  They both follow regulation volleyball rules, ect, ect.  Basically they are both 10/10 sports games for volleyball.

Now the one difference between the two games are is that one is a Olympic Volleyball game with real life volleyball players you play as.  the other is a dead or alive game, with big bouncy you know whats.  So just basically a skin change, or a quick mod if it was a pc game.

They should get the same freaking score.  Sexism or not, pretty sure I as the consumer can judge a game by its freaking cover.  It's not hard to look at the two games and decide NOT to buy DOA beach volleyball due to its sexist nature, something one can easily see from Bayonetta game cases as well.

Though I agree, I don't.

I don't think a game should get away with being sexist or racist. Or anything else like that. If it's offensive and in a bad way, it shouldn't get away with it. But that's obviously not the case with Bayonetta - there's always a somewhat tolerable limit.

But really, Bayonetta isn't as sexist as GTA is racist, and yet GTA keeps getting away with it every time.

Well yea, you hope that the dev team has a female or whatever race, religion, ect part of the team that is making the game in order to keep it in line.  From all i've heard Bayonetta goes about its sexualization in a way that keeps it from being criminal.  Hell sometimes I find the things I see as "holy shit, how do they get away with that" as having been done by the very person it is making fun of.  (not solely speaking of games here)

It's the same way as Comics tend to not crack jokes that are about a different race/gender/religion/ect than themselves.

On Twitter she keeps changing from making fun of herself to defending herself. She either needs to delete the defensive tweets and embrace self-deprecation or stfu. She's just making things worse for herself.

https://twitter.com/inkydojikko

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Teeqoz said:
irstupid said:
Teeqoz said:

So now you're changing your mind? Reviews can be biased after all? This person hardly despises the water aspects of pokemon, she just doesn't like them and don't think they're well executed. Despise is a very stong word. This score is 6 points below the average score. That's hardly an outlier. It just means she didn't like it quite as much as the average reviewer did.

Also, how can you say that this person despises the water aspect of pokemon when you haven't even read the review?

I never changed my mind. 

And I said the score wasn't an outlier, i said the opinion/preference was.  Like a jury.  Talking about racism, it goes both way.  In the Ferguson trial, there are plenty of people who are 100% convinced before hand that the cop is guilty because they are racist, and there are plenty of people that are 100% positive that he is innocent because they are racist.  Both of those groups of people should be miles away from the jury panal for that court case.

From the quotes I have seen of this review, it seem seems this reveiwer doesn't like the water aspect of Pokemon games and thus should not be reviewing a pokemon game that revolves around water as its core theme.  They need to find someone impartial to water in Pokemon.  This impartial person may end up hating it by the end of the game, but they shouldn't before even picking up the game.

I dislike the water surfing in pokemon games as I said before, and thus if i were a reviewer i would excuse myself from reviewing this game.  I know before even playing this game that I would not really enjoy the game and thus would have a biased score.  

If it makes the game less fun than she has every right to dock it for having "too much water". Seems pretty simple to me...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick