By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

With an amazing color palette, great lighting, wonderful attention to detail, fantastic (and often hilarious) character animations, and silky smooth 60fps, I can most certainly understand them having that viewpoint. Mario Kart 8 is an incredible looking game.

Really the only thing going against it is its lack of AA. But with how smooth and consistent the game looks in motion, it honestly isn't an issue while you're playing the game.

Around the Network

How is this possible? There is no way CGI that is cartoony can look good. Cant you see how godawful all Pixar movies look.

The bait is strong with this one

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

HoloDust said:
While MK8 does look great, I find it to be a bit, let's say...conservative choice for "best visuals".

I would go with ISS or SO, as a good balance of technical achievement and art design...at least when it comes to AAA titles.

Off topic but I wwonder how a Sunset Overdrive vs Infamous Second Son debate would go.

Wait a minute, this can't be... how can a game that's running in only 720p be considered the "best looking game of the year?" I've been told by numerous "experts" that anything sub-1080p looks atrocious and is damn-near unplayable. Any game that is discovered to be running in 900p only for example is subsequently shit on by the community. Yet a game like this gets high praise for its visuals???

Next someone will say that gameplay matters more than graphics in a game... pfffft. AS-IF!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

Developers on PS4 and Xbox 1 have the hardware, but lack the artistic ability to top Mario Kart 8.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

irstupid said:
I don't get why people every care about a TECHNICAL marvel.

You know what can be considered a technical marvel? Assassin's Creed Unity. It has a shit ton of npc's roaming around.

I'll take a game with flawless visuals in whatever art style it chooses and flawless gameplay and fps over any technical marvels anyday.

Mario Kart 8, the entire world fits and looks exactly how it should. There are no random things that make you cringe when you see them. No pop up in the distance. No bugs, ect. So spare me the technical aspects of it having AA or not or whatever else you want to say to downplay it.

When I'm playing the game I'm 100% able to dive into it. There is zero immersion breaking things going on. That to me is a technical marvel.

Because some people don't consider seeing pixel edges flawless.

How predictable. As usual the media is once again showing their anti-Nintendo bias.

In all seriousness, game looks great. Will be one of the games I grab when I one day get a WiiU.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Last of US PS4 looks worse than MK8 ? So whatever ND did is just waste and they should just go with Colorful art game instead of Realistic game world and physics. EG should have said one of the best looking but not only.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Talal said:
irstupid said:
I don't get why people every care about a TECHNICAL marvel.

You know what can be considered a technical marvel? Assassin's Creed Unity. It has a shit ton of npc's roaming around.

I'll take a game with flawless visuals in whatever art style it chooses and flawless gameplay and fps over any technical marvels anyday.

Mario Kart 8, the entire world fits and looks exactly how it should. There are no random things that make you cringe when you see them. No pop up in the distance. No bugs, ect. So spare me the technical aspects of it having AA or not or whatever else you want to say to downplay it.

When I'm playing the game I'm 100% able to dive into it. There is zero immersion breaking things going on. That to me is a technical marvel.

Because some people don't consider seeing pixel edges flawless.

So I guess this is a bad painting:

It lacks colors, the lines are not straight, you can 2 eyes on the side faces, it looks like a child painted it it right???

A great portion of what I call the "hardlycore gamers" seem to have a very narrow minded view of the world & games in particular.

I would say that maybe the lack of culture & open mind is what makes them enraged against anything that doesn't try to parrot reality, that's all they know, that's all they want in their games realistic FPS... yet they think they are so "superior" & hold the "truth" with their tunnel vision & lack of education!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001