By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

Zekkyou said:

So the subjective opinions of anyone with a decent size audience is bold? :p

A bold statement would be something you could consider 'risky', something unlikely to be accepted. With exception to those thinking he's talking about graphics rather than the visuals themselves, i doubt you will find many that don't think MK8 looks good. Many will of course disagree with him thinking it's the best looking, but they'll understand why someone could choose it. That's not bold.

I agree with you, Transistor is beautiful. Some of the best graphics this year.

Around the Network

But... but... it's not brown!!!

Ehhhhhh, I mean it looks great but real graphics (realistic) are more impressive than cartoonish. That's a rule of thumb for me anyways.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

celador said:
It is a very nice looking game in motion, but it is not close to being the best console game in terms of graphics this year.

Nobody said it was^ If that were the case WiiU Games would never win with X1+PS4 out. Look at the op again :)

I love Mario kart

Around the Network

While MK8 does look great, I find it to be a bit, let's say...conservative choice for "best visuals".

I would go with ISS or SO, as a good balance of technical achievement and art design...at least when it comes to AAA titles.

teigaga said:
celador said:
It is a very nice looking game in motion, but it is not close to being the best console game in terms of graphics this year.

By best do you mean most intensive or advance?

Best to me means how the graphics are utilised, the appearance they create. A game could have 100m polys on screen versus a game with only 100k poly but nicer lighting and pretty particle effects. The latter game in my opinion would have the ''better graphics''

There's good looking "photorealistic" and good looking "non-photorealistic".  And then there's artistic style.

I would say MK8 is the best looking "non-photorealistic".  Overall though I wouldn't give it the title for best looking game of the year.

Right now I'd give it to COD:AW.  It's atmospheric, detailed, and varied.  The Antarctica level graphics were really cool.  The cutscenes have CG so good that I keep having to check if it's CG people or real people.  It's not the best just because it's technically better, it's best because of how the graphics are utilised.

My 8th gen collection

Mario Kart 8 rocks the 720p/60fps, far superior to 1080p/30fps imho, and it has a consistent frame rate. The visual effects on top just make it beautiful.

You can say that MK8 performs so well because it's simple, and to that I'd say NO SH*T SHERLOCK. The PS4 and XB1 are more powerful, but devs have come to rely on raw power instead of smart development and that's why we get abortions like ACU.

Mario Kart 8 was made by far more talented developers, period.

MK8 Art > Your opinion.

I don't get why people every care about a TECHNICAL marvel.

You know what can be considered a technical marvel? Assassin's Creed Unity. It has a shit ton of npc's roaming around.

I'll take a game with flawless visuals in whatever art style it chooses and flawless gameplay and fps over any technical marvels anyday.

Mario Kart 8, the entire world fits and looks exactly how it should. There are no random things that make you cringe when you see them. No pop up in the distance. No bugs, ect. So spare me the technical aspects of it having AA or not or whatever else you want to say to downplay it.

When I'm playing the game I'm 100% able to dive into it. There is zero immersion breaking things going on. That to me is a technical marvel.