By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Mario Kart 8 "best looking console game of the year"

Tagged games:

Hehe, that will be upsetting many users because they confuse technical aspects with good looking. Mario Kart on WiiU is indeed a very, very good looking game! I am glad they didn't use an Xbox One or PS4 title by default because way better hardware.

Around the Network

There's nothing particularly 'bold' about saying [x] looks the best. If they were making a graphics comparison then sure, it would be a bold (and incredibly stupid) thing to say, but when talking about visual appeal, which includes art direction and the like, it's simply a matter of personal preference. I think Transistor is the 'best looking' game of the year. Am i bold too?

Yup Agreed!

A shame Smash Bros looks fairly unambitious graphically. LBP3 on PS4 also looks like a lazy port :(

celador said:
It is a very nice looking game in motion, but it is not close to being the best console game in terms of graphics this year.

By best do you mean most intensive or advance?

Best to me means how the graphics are utilised, the appearance they create. A game could have 100m polys on screen versus a game with only 100k poly but nicer lighting and pretty particle effects. The latter game in my opinion would have the ''better graphics''

Zekkyou said:
Am i bold too?

Perhap, but Eurogamer's saying it in front of a substantially bigger audience than you or I. ;)

Around the Network
teigaga said:
Yup Agreed!
A shame Smash Bros looks fairly unambitious graphically. 

Smash's less detailed graphics seem to stem from it allegedly running at 1080p/60fps, which would leave only half as much pixel fillrate for shaders and such compared to a 720p game like Mario Kart.

curl-6 said:

Perhap, but Eurogamer's saying it in front of a substantially bigger audience than you or I. ;)

So the subjective opinions of anyone with a decent size audience is bold? :p

A bold statement would be something you could consider 'risky', something unlikely to be accepted. With exception to those thinking he's talking about graphics rather than the visuals themselves, i doubt you will find many that don't think MK8 looks good. Many will of course disagree with him thinking it's the best looking, but they'll understand why someone could choose it. That's not bold.

teigaga said:
celador said:
It is a very nice looking game in motion, but it is not close to being the best console game in terms of graphics this year.

By best do you mean most intensive or advance?

Best to me means how the graphics are utilised, the appearance they create. A game could have 100m polys on screen versus a game with only 100k poly but nicer lighting and pretty particle effects. The latter game in my opinion would have the ''better graphics''

I meant graphical in technical terms.  The style of the graphics are great though like I said, and I would say it is an attractive looking game, just not the best for the year

Zekkyou said:
curl-6 said:

A bold statement would be something you could consider 'risky', something unlikely to be accepted. With exception to those thinking he's talking about graphics rather than the visuals themselves, i doubt you will find many that don't think MK8 looks good. Many will of course disagree with him thinking it's the best looking, but they'll understand why someone could choose it. That's not bold.

I think it's far to say that its bolder to make a controversial declaration in front of a bigger audience, yeah. I'd be much more comfortable telling a politically incorrect joke to just my brother than to a stadium full of people, for instance!

I agree that in theory it shouldn't be controversial, because you're right, it's just an opinion, but in this age of pixel counting and graphical obsession, I can see this ruffling some feathers.

curl-6 said:
Zekkyou said:

I think it's far to say that its bolder to make a controversial declaration in front of a bigger audience, yeah. I'd be much more comfortable telling a politically incorrect joke to just my brother than to a stadium full of people, for instance!

I agree that in theory it shouldn't be controversial, because you're right, it's just an opinion, but in this age of pixel counting and graphical obsession, I can see this ruffling some feathers.

Especially coming for Euromgamer who many associate with digital foundary.