By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - At 60 hour mark, Sonic Boom finally gets official scores on Metacritic.....nothing good....

PenguinZ said:
spurgeonryan said:

I wonder if now that Sega has completed their agreement with Nintendo...rushed through it I would say....if we can expect good games on the other systems now?

Sega and good games don't belong in the same sentence anymore.

This wasn't developed by Sega and they make Yakuza and Valkryia Chronicles. Invalid.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Experimental42 said:
The concept had promise, but they kneecapped it to get it out in time to ride the hype for the amazing cartoon premiere. It is a broken, incomplete mess that shouldn't have been released in this state, period.

This is why Nintendo needs to buy Sega. Sega sorely needs quality QA, and Nintendo are the masters of QA in the videogame industry. Sega has a broad array of IPs that have solid fanbases, but which aren't being served, and Nintendo needs to have a broader array of genres and franchises to leverage (given the state of third party support). Sonic and Mario belong together, as rivals and partners in more than just Smash and Olympics games, and Sonic needs to finally have a game that is worthy of being considered 3D Mario's rival (as classic Sonic was for 2D Mario). And a number of other Sega characters would do great as Smash characters, too (starting with Alex Kidd, whose janken-based actions would make for a great set of attacks).

I have hopes that there'll be proper patches for the game. If they happen, I just might get the game (it was on my must-buy list, but I was assuming that Nintendo would be applying their QA to the game, since there's some sort of deal for them). I already got Lost World.

Roma said:
no seriously Sega give Sonic a break like at least 5 years and then give it 5 more!

Nah, just focus on Sonic Kart games and make something else with gameplay similar to Sonic Generations.

If they really insist on 3D platforms, just do what made Sonic Adventure 2 great.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Aielyn said:

This is why Nintendo needs to buy Sega. Sega sorely needs quality QA, and Nintendo are the masters of QA in the videogame industry. Sega has a broad array of IPs that have solid fanbases, but which aren't being served, and Nintendo needs to have a broader array of genres and franchises to leverage (given the state of third party support). Sonic and Mario belong together, as rivals and partners in more than just Smash and Olympics games, and Sonic needs to finally have a game that is worthy of being considered 3D Mario's rival (as classic Sonic was for 2D Mario). And a number of other Sega characters would do great as Smash characters, too (starting with Alex Kidd, whose janken-based actions would make for a great set of attacks).

I have hopes that there'll be proper patches for the game. If they happen, I just might get the game (it was on my must-buy list, but I was assuming that Nintendo would be applying their QA to the game, since there's some sort of deal for them). I already got Lost World.

The only way that would have happened is with the Sonic Boom approach, but people will avoid that now because Sonic Boom is a dismal failure. They won't see that it was a dismal failure because it was a horrible buggy mess, they'll just see it as something they need to distance themselves from in every way.

I say this because the two traits that made Sonic games famous are Speed and Platforming. Extremely high speeds, or the illusion of such, like those seen in the 2D games just don't work in 3D. That's why the 3D Sonic games have large sections where they play themselves, and the adoption of homing attacks: As speed goes up precision goes down. This isn't as bad in a 2D setting because there's so many fewer variables, but when you add another axis, it becomes unmanageable.

At that point you need to decide what's more important since you can't have both. The Sonic "Runner" games like Black Knight, tried to focus on speed, and it was a mistake overall. The other option is to slow the game down and occassionally use Sonic's speed based abilities for puzzles or combat. That's not going to happen again any time soon.

Sonic should take a break from 3D for a little while and do 2D properly.

I've put a lot of thought into this and I myself am so convinced that I can design a good series of Sonic games, that I was trying to look into organizing a fanmade game similar to Megaman X Street Fighter. 2D, hand drawn sprites, remixed classic themes, limited story, Sonic 3 and Knuckles physics, a heavy emphasis on speed and timing, and a simple but effective combat system. Remove virtually everything from the 3D era. No more homing attack, no more hot and cold games, no more chao, and especially no humans other than Eggman.

NiKKoM said:
Can't we forget about this game already and start hyping up the next Sonic game?

Did'nt people say that after Sonic Lost World?

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:

NiKKoM said:
Can't we forget about this game already and start hyping up the next Sonic game?

Did'nt people say that after Sonic Lost World?

Yes, and Generations, and 4, and Unleashed, and...

spurgeonryan said:
AZWification said:

Wow.. The Metascore will actually be even lower than I thought.

The real sites will save it. Ign, gamespot, Eurogamer, etc

ahahahahahahahahaha

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Kyuu said:
AZWification said:

Wow.. The Metascore will actually be even lower than I thought.

But look at the bright side! Knack's days of loneliness are no more!

Knack has had Ryse to accompany it all this time, what you on about?

I used to love Sega. But their insistence on reinventing their company as a shit churning machine annoys the hell out of me. Why don't they bring back their old franchises like Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue? There was a time when they had real, unequaled talent. To ignore such fantastic IPs they must be stark raving bonkers. Idiots.

Can we just stop hyping Sonic games from now on? At their absolute best, on every rare occassion, we might get one "good" game. Just "good", not even great. IE, Sonic Colors/Generations.

That level of consistency makes the Sonic franchise pretty garbage as a whole. It's only select games, cartoons and maybe the character that are even worth talking about anymore. So when the next "big" Sonic game gets announced, even the fans should know by now not to have a shred of expectations for it.