By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - At 60 hour mark, Sonic Boom finally gets official scores on Metacritic.....nothing good....

PenguinZ said:
spurgeonryan said:
PenguinZ said:
spurgeonryan said:

I wonder if now that Sega has completed their agreement with Nintendo...rushed through it I would say....if we can expect good games on the other systems now?

 


Sega and good games don't belong in the same sentence anymore.


Didn't they make the new Alien game?


Hey if you keep pumping shit out, something decent is bound to happen at some point.

Yakuza? Valkyria Chronicles (that's reaching back a ways I admit).



“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

 

Around the Network

Can't we forget about this game already and start hyping up the next Sonic game?



 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Can't we forget about this game already and start hyping up the next Sonic game?


Sonic and Daxter?



    The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Ljink96 said:
Sega just can't make decent games anymore. What's up with that? Sonic just fails all the time! Generations was almost a Sonic savior but then more crap came down the chute. I can honestly say that I hate post Yuji Naka Sega. It's like they don't know what fans want or something. I understand that we cannot tell any company what to do but if you have an overwhelming number of fans that want something like a Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic 1-3 HD 2.5 Remakes and you ignore it for Sonic Boom, you need help. The cartoon needs help too. Sega, I want to love you but you're making it so hard for me to do so. Sonic has so much potential and they aren't showing any of it right now. Hopefully, the Japanese devs take over the whole thing this time.It's like Sonic 32X all over again.

Eh, the problem with Sonic is that Sega keeps changing the (perpetually crappy) formula. Sonic Boom is different than Lost World which is different than Black Knight which is different than Colors which is different than Generations and Unleashed which is different than 06 and so on. It seems like they are trying to find a gameplay style that appeals to every fan, but they epically fail at that goal every. single. time. Fans wanted Sonic Adventure 3, and out of that goal we got Sonic 06. Fans wanted Sonic to go back to 2D, and we got Sonic 4. It seems like Sega wanted to start completely fresh with Sonic Boom with a new story canon, new enemies, and the cartoon. We all see how that turned out...

If Sega wants to keep Sonic alive then they absolutely need to listen to fans this time around, and I mean more than just scaling back on characters. They also need to develop  refine one of the many existing Sonic formulas and make a game that people want to play. At this point it's do or die for Sonic. He already isn't as recognizable amongst the mainstream anymore (Boom was probably supposed to change that). We're not far from a point where the diehard old time Sega fanboys who actually finished Sonic 06 won't care anymore. 



3DS game got a 4.0 on IGN. Let's see how much the console version can get.



Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Can't we forget about this game already and start hyping up the next Sonic game?

What if the next Sonic game is Sonic Boom 2?



                
       ---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

PenguinZ said:
spurgeonryan said:

I wonder if now that Sega has completed their agreement with Nintendo...rushed through it I would say....if we can expect good games on the other systems now?

 


Sega and good games don't belong in the same sentence anymore.

I hope you are joking, SEGA still make plenty of good games. Sonic however just isnt and never has been 1 of them.



ktay95 said:

I hope you are joking, SEGA still make plenty of good games. Sonic however just isnt and never has been 1 of them.


That's a bit of a stretch. Sonic was a big reason the Genesis went from 4% to 40%+ of the US market share in the early 90's.

Sonic also was the showing ground for Yuji Naka's new discovery of how to make sprites move smoothly on a curve. It had a huge impact on gaming on top of its then mindblowing success. Not to mention his influence in pop culture.

 

SEGA just needs to get back to their roots like Yuji Naka is doing with Rodea.



Experimental42 said:
ktay95 said:
 

I hope you are joking, SEGA still make plenty of good games. Sonic however just isnt and never has been 1 of them.


That's a bit of a stretch. Sonic was a big reason the Genesis went from 4% to 40%+ of the US market share in the early 90's.

Sonic also was the showing ground for Yuji Naka's new discovery of how to make sprites move smoothly on a curve. It had a huge impact on gaming on top of its then mindblowing success. Not to mention his influence in pop culture.

 

SEGA just needs to get back to their roots like Yuji Naka is doing with Rodea.


Advertising is a powerful thing.

I mean I love Sonic as an IP, great characters, setting, music etc. but the gameplay has always been fairly garbage and thats what counts the most for a platformer.



IamAwsome said:
Ljink96 said:
Sega just can't make decent games anymore. What's up with that? Sonic just fails all the time! Generations was almost a Sonic savior but then more crap came down the chute. I can honestly say that I hate post Yuji Naka Sega. It's like they don't know what fans want or something. I understand that we cannot tell any company what to do but if you have an overwhelming number of fans that want something like a Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic 1-3 HD 2.5 Remakes and you ignore it for Sonic Boom, you need help. The cartoon needs help too. Sega, I want to love you but you're making it so hard for me to do so. Sonic has so much potential and they aren't showing any of it right now. Hopefully, the Japanese devs take over the whole thing this time.It's like Sonic 32X all over again.

Eh, the problem with Sonic is that Sega keeps changing the (perpetually crappy) formula. Sonic Boom is different than Lost World which is different than Black Knight which is different than Colors which is different than Generations and Unleashed which is different than 06 and so on. It seems like they are trying to find a gameplay style that appeals to every fan, but they epically fail at that goal every. single. time. Fans wanted Sonic Adventure 3, and out of that goal we got Sonic 06. Fans wanted Sonic to go back to 2D, and we got Sonic 4. It seems like Sega wanted to start completely fresh with Sonic Boom with a new story canon, new enemies, and the cartoon. We all see how that turned out...

If Sega wants to keep Sonic alive then they absolutely need to listen to fans this time around, and I mean more than just scaling back on characters. They also need to develop  refine one of the many existing Sonic formulas and make a game that people want to play. At this point it's do or die for Sonic. He already isn't as recognizable amongst the mainstream anymore (Boom was probably supposed to change that). We're not far from a point where the diehard old time Sega fanboys who actually finished Sonic 06 won't care anymore. 


Woah...that's a terrible idea. I'd say that Sonic has the worst, most broken fanbase for any video game. Trying to please all fans or listening to even a third of the fanbase will lead to the game being hated by most everyone, which is evident in the games now. Lost World is split between being considered great and awful. Every Sonic game that is them listening to the fans ends up being hated by the fans.

"Go back to the roots!"

*Sonic 4*

"Just a rehash!"

 

"Do something different!"

*Unleashed*

"Stop with the different stuf I just wanna run!"

 

"Forget all the friends!"

*Sonic Boom*

"Why are they changing the original people slightly???"