By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - At 60 hour mark, Sonic Boom finally gets official scores on Metacritic.....nothing good....

Experimental42 said:
Sonic should take a break from 3D for a little while and do 2D properly.

I've put a lot of thought into this and I myself am so convinced that I can design a good series of Sonic games, that I was trying to look into organizing a fanmade game similar to Megaman X Street Fighter. 2D, hand drawn sprites, remixed classic themes, limited story, Sonic 3 and Knuckles physics, a heavy emphasis on speed and timing, and a simple but effective combat system. Remove virtually everything from the 3D era. No more homing attack, no more hot and cold games, no more chao, and especially no humans other than Eggman.

That makes me think - perhaps Sega needs to do a deal with Ubisoft whereby they get to use the UbiArt Framework engine, and perhaps even get Michel Ancel and his team on board for the project (in the role of the art direction, and possibly "storyline", since Rayman Legends had such an effective, minimalist storyline)... and also get Yuji Naka on the team. Have them work together on a Classic Sonic revival, that doesn't try to partner it with Modern Sonic (a la Sonic Generations), but seeks to re-establish Classic Sonic.

Then, cut back on the obsession with speed (think back on the design of the stages - they had elements that played off the speed, but most zones were constructed so that there was a lot more to find if you went slowly, and quite a few were even designed so that you couldn't go fast, like the water-based zones). Sonic doesn't need to be fast all the time, and the neatest way to make it work is to simply give him the option of speed where appropriate.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:

That makes me think - perhaps Sega needs to do a deal with Ubisoft whereby they get to use the UbiArt Framework engine, and perhaps even get Michel Ancel and his team on board for the project (in the role of the art direction, and possibly "storyline", since Rayman Legends had such an effective, minimalist storyline)... and also get Yuji Naka on the team. Have them work together on a Classic Sonic revival, that doesn't try to partner it with Modern Sonic (a la Sonic Generations), but seeks to re-establish Classic Sonic.

Then, cut back on the obsession with speed (think back on the design of the stages - they had elements that played off the speed, but most zones were constructed so that there was a lot more to find if you went slowly, and quite a few were even designed so that you couldn't go fast, like the water-based zones). Sonic doesn't need to be fast all the time, and the neatest way to make it work is to simply give him the option of speed where appropriate.

I've already written in several places that Rayman Legends was a better Sonic game than any Sonic game that Sonic has been in lately. I was looking into UbiArt Framework and even signed that petition to make it open source.

In all honesty, I think I could make a better Sonic game than SEGA at this point, and have been putting in a lot of legwork into making a GDD and finding capable digital artists and programmers to make something  to run by SEGA. Street Fighter X Megaman was a fan project that got the support of Capcom, the Satan of the Japanese developers, so it's not unheard of. I think Sonic is an easy way to make money and a name for yourself, and with crowdfunding and social media I'd love to be able to force my way in. A man needs dreams.

I was thinking the smartest way to do speed sections is to pull from Rayman Legends chase stages, with Character Action Game elements mixed into the platforming like Guacamelee! STCE. Mixing combat with platforming techniques was pure genius. It adds a deeper level of interaction to chase scenes, as Rayman's only had jump and kick to work with. Setting and "story" would cover Robotnik's invasion and Sonic's first encounter with Knuckles.

Also, Yuji Naka never wants to work on his old projects.

spurgeonryan said:
AZWification said:

Wow.. The Metascore will actually be even lower than I thought.

The real sites will save it. Ign, gamespot, Eurogamer, etc

ign 4.3/10

gamespot 2/10

i guess not eh? 

Smear-Gel said:
IamAwsome said:
Ljink96 said:
Sega just can't make decent games anymore. What's up with that? Sonic just fails all the time! Generations was almost a Sonic savior but then more crap came down the chute. I can honestly say that I hate post Yuji Naka Sega. It's like they don't know what fans want or something. I understand that we cannot tell any company what to do but if you have an overwhelming number of fans that want something like a Sonic Adventure 3 or Sonic 1-3 HD 2.5 Remakes and you ignore it for Sonic Boom, you need help. The cartoon needs help too. Sega, I want to love you but you're making it so hard for me to do so. Sonic has so much potential and they aren't showing any of it right now. Hopefully, the Japanese devs take over the whole thing this time.It's like Sonic 32X all over again.

Eh, the problem with Sonic is that Sega keeps changing the (perpetually crappy) formula. Sonic Boom is different than Lost World which is different than Black Knight which is different than Colors which is different than Generations and Unleashed which is different than 06 and so on. It seems like they are trying to find a gameplay style that appeals to every fan, but they epically fail at that goal every. single. time. Fans wanted Sonic Adventure 3, and out of that goal we got Sonic 06. Fans wanted Sonic to go back to 2D, and we got Sonic 4. It seems like Sega wanted to start completely fresh with Sonic Boom with a new story canon, new enemies, and the cartoon. We all see how that turned out...

If Sega wants to keep Sonic alive then they absolutely need to listen to fans this time around, and I mean more than just scaling back on characters. They also need to develop  refine one of the many existing Sonic formulas and make a game that people want to play. At this point it's do or die for Sonic. He already isn't as recognizable amongst the mainstream anymore (Boom was probably supposed to change that). We're not far from a point where the diehard old time Sega fanboys who actually finished Sonic 06 won't care anymore. 

Woah...that's a terrible idea. I'd say that Sonic has the worst, most broken fanbase for any video game. Trying to please all fans or listening to even a third of the fanbase will lead to the game being hated by most everyone, which is evident in the games now. Lost World is split between being considered great and awful. Every Sonic game that is them listening to the fans ends up being hated by the fans.

"Go back to the roots!"

*Sonic 4*

"Just a rehash!"

"Do something different!"

*Unleashed*

"Stop with the different stuf I just wanna run!"

"Forget all the friends!"

*Sonic Boom*

"Why are they changing the original people slightly???"

Sonic fans just want a decent game, which is what we got with Sonic Colors and nobody complained. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Look at it this way: it's headed for a top 20 placement on gamerankings...on their worst video games of all time list.

And just when you thought the Sonic franchise could sink no lower after Shadow and '06.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:

Sonic fans just want a decent game, which is what we got with Sonic Colors and nobody complained. 

Sonic Colours managed to escape that fate luckily. But every other game considered decent by part of the fanbase is called the worst game ever by the rest of it, for reasons they asked for.

Experimental42 said:

Sonic 4 didn't fail because it was a rehash, it failed because it had absolutely terrible physics, controlled relatively poorly, had bland design, and looked sluggish.

Sonic Boom is indefensible as well, regardless of fan backlash at the start, it wouldn't be hated if it didn't suck.

I meant the type of complaints that come up about these games are the exact opposite of what people say before they come out.

Lost World's my favourite sonic game.

Sonic needs to follow in Nintendo's foot steps and bring back a side scroller platform true to 1 and 2 to bring back a fan base, then but out a Sonic Boom type game.