By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Can Nintendo Do To Appeal To The West?

Soundwave said:

I honestly don't think third parties want to support Nintendo. MS and Sony already occupy the "big two" options that third parties want. PC occupies that the third spot. Third parties already have a full docket, there's just no need for another console manufacturer from their POV. 

Nintendo will always be the odd man out in this equation, even if they made a system exactly like third parties liked, there's still the issue that their games would sell less on such a platform because Nintendo games provide more competition that isn't there on MS/Sony's platforms.

So it's a zero sum game for Nintendo there.

Cutting a big deal with Disney and basically letting the two carry the platform with some Japanese third party support would be an OK solution IMO.

Nintendo games don't provide more competition, they are very different compared to third-party games. MS/Sony games appeal more to many gamers, and Nintendo gamers don't like third-party games if they aren't Skylanders or Just Dance. That speaks a lot about the demographic.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

The Avengers *are* more popular than COD. Marvel's IP is the holy grail of appealing to just about every imaginable demographic. No one has made a game for this IP with any care, the way Batman has gotten with the Arkham franchise. Enter Nintendo. 

Spider-Man Shattered dimensions and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 are the closest they got with Marvel games in the care factor of Arkham. They went out of their way to hire most of the original voice actors from the cartoon series. But Spider-Man stayed ignored. And MUA2 came out and ruined the series. By making a piss poor adapation to Civil War. And was beyond short. I beat it in 5 hours.

Make or produce games in popular genres : FPS, soccer, basket, TPS, race game, and as you said licensed games.

What is in fact incredible is that they are so successful on console with just niche genres (party, platform, casual, kart, etc.). I can't think about any Nintendo game in a popular genre.

You talked about Disney, but what happens to Nintendo is very similar to what happened to Disney : making a Disney movie once a year was not enough anymore, and they diversified with movies (Pirates of the Caribbean, Starwars), 3D (Pixar).

Someone needs to show Saturo Iwata the door and his pension-plan with the pink-slip attached. Then someone who understands how business is run in the West (like Hiroshi Yamauchi did) needs to run Nintendo.

Or,

Allow Nintendo of America or be run as it's own entity. Meaning, step down as CEO of Nintendo Of America and give the reigns to Reggie Fils-Aime while Iwata runs Nintendo of Japan. I think someone native to Europe should run Nintendo of Europe as well. If you are a CEO of a company you should have a firm understanding of your consumer base IMO. Iwata understands what Japanese gamers want, but that is all. Let Fils-Aime run the American branch, or if he is not capable then get rid of him and bring in someone who can run it.

I think that would solve a great many problems at Nintendo.

Norris2k said:
Make or produce games in popular genres : FPS, soccer, basket, TPS, race game, and as you said licensed games.

What is in fact incredible is that they are so successful on console with just niche genres (party, platform, casual, kart, etc.). I can't think about any Nintendo game in a popular genre.

You talked about Disney, but what happens to Nintendo is very similar to what happened to Disney : making a Disney movie once a year was not enough anymore, and they diversified with movies (Pirates of the Caribbean, Starwars), 3D (Pixar).

Can you imagine how much money Nintendo could generate being backed by Disney?  They literally could build 'NintendoLand' at Walt Disney World.  We could see movies made from Nintendo IPs that would undoubtedly generate billions of dollars worldwide.  Nintendo could have a blank-check to make their next console as beasty as they want it to be.  The only thing Nintendo would have to worry about is being swallowed up by Disney which is probably why they have kept them at arm's length.  If the could keep things aprapo, then it would be a win-win for all parties involved.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I don't much care what they use, I doubt I'd really see much if any difference anyways. I'm just thinking going for whatever is easiest to port to would be best. Right now pretty much every 3rd part game is a PC/PS/Xbox multiplat by default, if Nintendo consoles were similar to PC and very easy to port to then there's no reason they couldn't be one of the default platforms for all games as well.

Porting difficulty isn't much about the processor-architecture. OK, something really exotic might be problematic, but PowerPC, ARM and x86 all have good compiler-support. So the porting difficulty because of CPU is nearly irrelevant.

Porting from PPc to x86 is not an issue, but porting from x86 to PPc is and issue because x86 uses far more memory than PPc does.  For instance Rayman Legends was built from the ground up on the Wii U and was easily ported to the XB1 and PS4.  Wii U multiplats are either games built from the ground up, or ports from thr 360 version which also uses PPc and has a tri-core processor.

The ARM processor in the Wii U is used only for the OS.  The Tri-Core PowerPC750 and DSP sound module are for game use.  The way PPc and x86 use system resources is totally different and it is not easy to port which is why most 3rd parties don't bother. 

Vena said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

1. Even if you include these third party exclusives, ie Bayonetta 2,Wonderful 101 etc, their output is still not enough to support a console.

2. Storage does not play a factor?  Do you know why FF went from N64 to PS1...?  Storage plays a huge factor, PS3 got some exclusives, ie MGS4, based purely on its increased storage.  

3. No its crap, it pales in comparison to the Wii's and they can't even be bothered to include GC games, which btw the competition has done since last gen (PS2 games on PS3 and Xbox games on 360).  Once again this is not a system selling feature and they are lagging way behind.

I don't thnk they should combine anything, their home consoles sales are gonna drag down their mobile console sales.

1. Hu? I am talking about Capcom, Level 5, other Japanese devs. They produce for the 3DS, they won't disappear and they can continue producing. If Nintendo makes a scalable platform the only hurdle for developers that already develop for Nintendo and have mindshare on Nintendo hardware will be making an HD set of textures... or, in reality, just make HD textures that they down scale to the portable version. ARM is, for this reason, highly likely as it is a very scalable architecture.

2. MGS4 wasn't exclusive because of storage. FFXIII needed multiple discs (I'm looking at them right now), didn't prevent SE from going multiplat with the brand. This is the point. The GCs slightly smaller discs are no different from X360/PS3 disc disparity. The N64 had VASTLY different problems with its production channels... 

3. The VC? Sure. The actual eShop in its entirety? Fuck no.

There won't be a distinction, why would their home console sales apply to what would still be a mobile console... with more games?

1. Those games don't do much...yes even Monster Hunter sells like shit in the west.  That is what this thread is about, how to appeal to the WEST, I think you've lost sight of that.  Third parties like CoD, sports titles, AC etc would have more of an affect than Monster Hunter and Pheonix Wright.

2. Yes it was, Kojima said so himself. http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/metal-gear-solid-4-too-enormous-for-xbox-360

3. Stop ignoring the fact that it is not a system selling feature, no one is gonna run out and buy a Wii U for the eshop...

GTAexpert said:

Nintendo games don't provide more competition, they are very different compared to third-party games. MS/Sony games appeal more to many gamers, and Nintendo gamers don't like third-party games if they aren't Skylanders or Just Dance. That speaks a lot about the demographic.

Obviously Nintendo-gamers like Monster Hunter, Bravely Default and Youkai Watch from third parties. What does that say about the demographics?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

D2K said:
Someone needs to show Saturo Iwata the door and his pension-plan with the pink-slip attached. Then someone who understands how business is run in the West (like Hiroshi Yamauchi did) needs to run Nintendo.

Or,

Allow Nintendo of America or be run as it's own entity. Meaning, step down as CEO of Nintendo Of America and give the reigns to Reggie Fils-Aime while Iwata runs Nintendo of Japan. I think someone native to Europe should run Nintendo of Europe as well. If you are a CEO of a company you should have a firm understanding of your consumer base IMO. Iwata understands what Japanese gamers want, but that is all. Let Fils-Aime run the American branch, or if he is not capable then get rid of him and bring in someone who can run it.

I think that would solve a great many problems at Nintendo.

Uhoh, the surefire recipe to lose me as consumer. I like japanese games. I'm happy that Satoru Shibata (CEO of NoE) is active in bringing japanese games over to europe. Reggie is different. Think about Project Rainfall. We europeans got the games - not the Americans. Reggie as CEO of Nintendo probably would kill of many japanese franchises or leave them to die. I would stop gaming on console.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Soundwave said:

Even in that scenario, Disney would not be a bad ally to have if Nintendo's goal is to go that route. They could finance Nintendo based movies and animated shows, they could even make Nintendo-based attractions at their theme parks that are visited by millions and millions of people every year. 

I think that would be fantastic. Have Disney handle the T.V. and film, while Nintendo handles the games. The only issue comes from whatDisney would get from it. Yeah, they'd get better games, but on a smaller installed base.