By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - "10 Hours of Walking In NYC As a Woman "

pepharytheworm said:
Now how many of you guys walk down the street and have a bunch of people greet you and a lot of times add things like "handsome" "cutie" and "prince"? Now imagine this has been happening to you ever since you were 14. While saying "hello" might not be open harassment, how many of those same guys do it to males too? Part of the reason a lot of women find this is harassment is because it is intimidating. If you are going to be assaulted by a stranger it is overwhelmingly going to be a male. Have any of you locked your car door because a woman walked by? Any lone person on the street would feel intimidated and harassed if what happened in this video was almost a daily occurrence.

I guarantee if one of these people said hello to everyone who crossed their path they would not feel as intimidated. But when someone pinpoints you to say hello too as you are walking down the street in makes it a little creepier.

And seriously anyone who thinks that guy walking beside her not saying anything wasn't being creepy and inappropriate is really just being silly. I would be freaked out if someone was doing that to me.

When I walk through big cities (I've even walk through New York a few times) there's countless people saying "goodmorning", or "How you doing, bro?" or "Have a nice day". It only makes me smile. Once, when I was in San Francisco (okay, it's only three weeks ago), I high-fived someone coming in an opposing cable-car (you know the cable-cars which are part of what makes SF famous). Both cable-cars broke out in cheers, shouting and screaming. I'm not even making this stuff up. And it was so awesome! All of a sudden, the mood went through the roof! Was I harrasing the one that I high-fived?

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
So what happens when a low self-esteemed guy actually muscles up the courage to speak to a woman by saying "Hi, how are you doing today" and she just throws the harassment card at him because she's waiting and expecting disrespectful comments? That would be pretty messed up.

It depends, if the guy is not enough good looking, it's harassment, if he is attractive , it's a gentleman

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Women should be protected from relentless sexual advances and verbal harassment, not social interaction.

The question is where is the line drawn? One person saying "Have a good day" may be harassment if the way it is said and the behavior alongside it show harassment, while a genuine "Hey beautiful" out of friendliness isn't. It's hard to gauge intention, so do we play it safe by overreaching or leave women vulnerable and allowing bad behavior to continue?

RCTjunkie said:
Women should be protected from relentless sexual advances and verbal harassment, not social interaction.

The question is where is the line drawn? One person saying "Have a good day" may be harassment if the way it is said and the behavior alongside it show harassment, while a genuine "Hey beautiful" out of friendliness isn't. It's hard to gauge intention, so do we play it safe by overreaching or leave women vulnerable and allowing bad behavior to continue?

Exactly the point I was trying to say.  The video gives the pretext that all of it is harassment, and it is clearly a factor in people assuming that all of the comments were indeed done with malicious intent.  But there's really not the evidence there to make the claim based on what the video shows.

Touchy topic.
On the one hand, some of those are legit creeps and she shouldn't have to put up with such childish nonsense. On the other, I hardly think "god bless you" or "have a nice day" constitute verbal harassment.
So it's not really a strong argument for either side.

Women definitely face discrimination, but this isn't the best showcase.

Around the Network

Damn. Never seen anything like this in Denmark. Not even at 6 am on a saturday

As a woman, I always get this, and I don't mind! If they swear, then it's harrasment.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

kupomogli said:

This Video hits the nail on the head

To take it further let us analyze what we see and what they want us to believe from the original video.

We see a really beautiful girl walking around in a city full of people
Looks like the girl is wearing clothes to look attractive - The jeans look tight too.
This girl isn't allowed to speak

This area she is walking around seems to have a bunch of bored and confident people
Some of them just stand around and make a comment.
For me this is the same as someone would offer me a promotion card or tries to sell something.They seem confident and don't care if she isn't reacting.
They probably do this a bunch of times in a certain timespan.For them it is nothing special and they don't take it further.
If i remember correctly 2 start to walk beside her - This is kinda creepy
But lets take a look at them...
One is silently waking beside her - Happens all the time,especially in a crowded city.Maybe they go the same speed.
The other dude seems to really like her - Looks like he is putting his ego aside and hopes he gets a chance.

In both cases in a normal daily situation the girl would have told them to back off.
But in this video she wasn't allowed to talk - No clear message was given to both guys especially not to the one talking the whole time.
He never got a "No" or any rejection

But the girl is walking away!!!
And?Just look at what Pickup artists are teaching - Be persistent until you can really tell or get told to leave her alone.
This was not given cause of the project for the video.She wasn't allowed to give them the rejection.
RSDTodd and the others of their crew are pretty good teachers and guides to overcome social anxiety - Its ok to talk to beautiful girls on the street.
Watch them on Youtube  if you have problems with it =)

In Reality this girl would have taken the compliments and probably would have started a conversation if one of those dudes would be her type.
And she probably does get compliments on a daily basis
Every girl likes them and some of them are even just saying "hi" and wishing her a nice day.She would usually probably say thanks and move on.
None of them really tried to pull stuff anyone would consider wrong or not fitting into the society.

Lets look at the person behind this project.
Yeah looks like someone not getting compliments left and right - There has to be something wrong with society is the conclusion.

Good looking woman get this stuff all the time.Thats a given.
And if their day is as usual aka nothing bad happened to trash their mood they will take that gladly.It pushes their confidence and they know how to deal with it.

This Video is again just a bad try from "not so attractive feminists" to talk everything bad they woudl wish they would experience as much as the common good looking girl.

Is there more to this, or does she really have ten hours worth of footage and could only muster less than two minutes of cherry picked nonsense?

Thankfully this is only NYC. Most people do not walk around NYC for 10 hours a day.

This thread was big on GAF last week.