By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who else hated the Godfather?

It seems that some of you take this thread too seriously and a bit personally. He's 16 and he states to "hate" Godfather although he never finished watching it. Teenagers "hate" something new every day, remember?

On the other hand:
I know grown-up people who refuse to watch movies where the characters wear costumes.
Most grown-up people I know (they are double the age as the OP) don't watch any old black & white movies on TV or DVD anymore, let alone silent movies. They prefer watching any reality show about gardening or the world's most stupid emigrants.
I know people who don't understand why I like Allen, Truffaut or Fellini movies and feel the desperate urge to keep telling me this ("How can you watch these boring movies? It's a waste of time").

Movies with a slow storyline development are not very popular these days. It's a sign of the times. How many people nowadays would really want to stand Lawrence of Arabia or Once Upon a Time in the West?

Around the Network
okr said:
It seems that some of you take this thread too seriously and a bit personally. He's 16 and he states to "hate" Godfather although he never finished watching it. Teenagers "hate" something new every day, remember?

On the other hand:
I know grown-up people who refuse to watch movies where the characters wear costumes.
Most grown-up people I know (they are double the age as the OP) don't watch any old black & white movies on TV or DVD anymore, let alone silent movies. They prefer watching any reality show about gardening or the world's most stupid emigrants.
I know people who don't understand why I like Allen, Truffaut or Fellini movies and feel the desperate urge to keep telling me this ("How can you watch these boring movies? It's a waste of time").

Movies with a slow storyline development are not very popular these days. It's a sign of the times. How many people nowadays would really want to stand Lawrence of Arabia or Once Upon a Time in the West? <= And these two are "easy" and entertaining ones just as The Godfather.

Maybe the OP will give The Godfather a 2nd chance one day, maybe not. Who cares...
Man, I am so sick of teenager stereotypes. There are many adults on this site who are nowhere near as mature as a lot of people I knew were by age 15. Yes, there's a good bit of ignorant teenagers, but a fair portion of those are going to grow in to ignorant adults. This shit gets old. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

okr said:

my dad is 46 (1961) and didn't like it for the same reason. He thought it was slow, and dragged on. I'll give him credit though, he watched it all, as well as #2 and 3.

And I do agree people are taking it too serious. Its not a joke thread, but its not meant to be a flame thread.

Well, OP, I have some pretty strong opinions of Mario Puzo's The Godfather, which I regard as the second greatest movie of all time. So I will say that I respectfully disagree, and leave it at that.

^^ What do you think's the best?

Around the Network

^ Citizen Kane.

(Yeah, I know there are folks who say that Citizen Kane is overrated, and I understand their sentiments. However, I believe that the movie appears at the apex of many lists for good reason.)

I consider myself a fan of movies. I watch all different types of films from the old silent films to the modern Special effect potboilers. However the popularity of certain movies elude me not to say they are horrible films but some movies just seem kind of bland and generic to me. Take for instance Gladiator or Braveheart both movies are critically acclaimed and box office smashes but neither movie rings with me like Fury(1936) or M did or 12 Angry Men.
I have only ever walked out of two films in my life Snake Eyes was one the other was Independence Day. Their are only 3 films I have not been able to sit through and the Godfather is one of them. To me it is a dull film and I found the characters to be uninteresting.  I would choose any Roger Corman film over this series because there is more life in those films even if they are low budget. IMO "The Terror" is a better film than the Godfather.

I do like many films though don't get the wrong idea. Some of my favorite movies include Yojimbo, Kelly's Heroes, Dr Mobius, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Dr Stangelove, Indiana Jones, Schindlers List, Dirty Dozen, There Will Be Blood, Infernal Affairs, Rashoman, and so one. My favorite movie of all time is Rear Window.

I like to think that I do have a wide variety of taste for movies and that I can sit through movies of any pacing but I have to say that as a matter of opnion that the Godfather 1 or 2 or 3 and Citizen Kane do no do it for me.

If I want to watch innovation on film I will watch Man With A Movie Camera or Rules of the Game. However the gadfather from what I have seen isn't even that innovative so it doesn't even have that going for it( Citizen Kane at least had that to keep my interest)

redspear said:

...the Godfather 1 or 2 or 3 and Citizen Kane do no do it for me.

FWIW, I thought The Godfather 3 sucked and blew simultaneously.

coolestguyever said:
Astrodust said:
Hey why won't coolestguyever tell us what movie he does like? Tell us please.

I can't really pick a favourite, but theres lots of movies I like.

I like Action like: Rocky, Rambo, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, James Bond, Alien, Terminator. Movies along these lines.

I like Comedy like: Most Sandler movies, Jackass, airplane, naked gun, back to the future, weekend at bernies, police academy, etc.

Then some random movies I like: Shawshank redemption, star wars, lord of the rings, one flew over the cukoos nest, No country for old men, saving private ryan, terminator, the great escape, bourne series, and more.

I like a lot of movies as you can see, i just don't like movies that take a while to develop like Godfather or Scarface, etc. They take a lot of paience, but if you have patience then I guess you would like them.

Cut out most of the Comedy section, and you have a person who actually has good taste in movies.

(Seriously, who enjoys comedies, yet doesn't even remember to put a single Mel Brooks movie on their list? Blazing Saddles alone is better than half that lot combined.)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Apparently the incidence of ADD/ADHD is increasing. It's also seems likely that it is hereditary.