By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's innovations to gaming.

Puppyroach said:
Am I the only one getting the feeling that the attempts to add things that are innovative is sounding a bit desperate here now? Innovations in gaming, for me, is when you actually affect the way we play and interact with games. Crossplay is definetely one of those things, but a DVD or BluRay? Give Sony real credit for real innovations instead of focusing on mostly irrelevant additions to gaming.

I would, however, put Sony more in the ballpark of MS, where both are companies that are experts att refining precious innovations and making them appealing to the mass market. That is something that the industry has benefitted greatly from and a thing they should get much credit for.

It depends, it's hard to imagine we could have had GTA (at least San Andrea) on console without DVD, and I really think the level of possibility, story, the variety of mission, side mission, fun of GTA was innovative. Not to talk about CD and FF7. Even for the emotion engine on PS2, compared to a better XBox1, I think it's one of the thing that made possible the low cost of the PS2, improved market shares, then increased the game budget that lead to fantastic games.

On the contrary, Nintendo is credited for the Wiimote, because it was a selling factor, it had huge impact on the gameplay, and a lot of people liked it. But especially at the very beginning of the Wii, when I saw tennis from Wii Sport, what I was seeing was not innovation, but the simplistic Konami's ping pong on 8 bits sold again by the power of advertising on casuals : simplistic graphics, simplistic gameplay. Not to blame the Wii, the Wiimote, or Nintendo, just to say how far you are from directly improving gameplay is irrevelant.

Around the Network

On the contrary, Nintendo is credited for the Wiimote, because it was a selling factor, it had huge impact on the gameplay, and a lot of people liked it. But especially at the very beginning of the Wii, when I saw tennis from Wii Sport, what I was seeing was not innovation, but the simplistic Konami's ping pong on 8 bits sold again by the power of advertising on casuals : simplistic graphics, simplistic gameplay. Not to blame the Wii, the Wiimote, or Nintendo, just to say how far you are from directly improving gameplay is irrevelant.

whoah now the wii remote was used well in plenty of games. forum dwellers might not have enjoyed motion controls but they were definately gameplay improving in some circumstances. 

Not gonna argue with all of them but 4 shoulder buttons and 2 control sticks arent innovative.

For example, 2 control sticks didnt innovate FPS games, merely allowed better control.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Ronster316 said:
Pure speculation from those saying that SEGA would have stuck with cartridges and that sony were the first to use CD's.

Let me refresh your memories, BEFORE BOTH the Saturn and the Ps1, the SEGA Mega CD used CD-ROM as its format.

If theres one thing that gets my goat on here, it's those sony fans who think that sony literally invented the god damn wheel.

For me they ain't "invented" nothing noteworthy in the world of gaming, all they have done is take other peoples concepts and built on them, simple as that.

Well usually anything Sony related seems to "get your goat" on here .. but that's none of my business *sips tea*

At the end of the day, every company has built upon other peoples concepts

Blob said:

whoah now the wii remote was used well in plenty of games. forum dwellers might not have enjoyed motion controls but they were definately gameplay improving in some circumstances. 

I quote myself : "especially at the very beginning of the Wii". It got a lot of better game that are far from a konami's ping pong, and some game were fun thanks to the wiimote.

As an innovation in gaming, did it become a standard, did it become the base for next controllers, did it prove it was better or necessary for any major genre, the answer is probably no. The wiimote is dead. On the contrary, optical drives became a standard, and were usefull and necessary for better games. So, what I want to say is that an optical drive can have as much impact as (or more than) a new controller, and then be an innovation in gaming.

Around the Network
Norris2k said:

It depends, it's hard to imagine we could have had GTA (at least San Andrea) on console without DVD, and I really think the level of possibility, story, the variety of mission, side mission, fun of GTA was innovative. Not to talk about CD and FF7. Even for the emotion engine on PS2, compared to a better XBox1, I think it's one of the thing that made possible the low cost of the PS2, improved market shares, then increased the game budget that lead to fantastic games.

Exactly, which is why DVDs and Blurays are a refinment of CDs. It was thanks to the introduction of this entirely new medium that game sizes could literally explode onto the scene, where the production of the medium itself was a fraction of the cost compared to cartridges, yet you could create massive games compared to before.

The Wiimote made motion controlling a mass market product, and made some games hugely immersive (just seeing how older people got engaged in Wii sports is quite amazing). It was not an innovation, but a refinment from previous attempts, for example Sega with samba De Amigo and other.

Ofcourse there are also innovations in gaming, and it is always hard to know ehere to draw the line. In this thread though, some people seem to think Sony created society as we know it :).

Burning Typhoon said:

The rest of the stuff about USB ports, and controller buttons and clicking and stuff...  That stuff isn't innovative.  Just being first doesn't mean innovative.  That's not what the word means.

This is the most insightful paragraph in the entire thread. You all could learn a lot from this man. 

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Puppyroach said:
Norris2k said:

Exactly, which is why DVDs and Blurays are a refinment of CDs. It was thanks to the introduction of this entirely new medium that game sizes could literally explode onto the scene, where the production of the medium itself was a fraction of the cost compared to cartridges, yet you could create massive games compared to before.

The Wiimote made motion controlling a mass market product, and made some games hugely immersive (just seeing how older people got engaged in Wii sports is quite amazing). It was not an innovation, but a refinment from previous attempts, for example Sega with samba De Amigo and other.

Ofcourse there are also innovations in gaming, and it is always hard to know ehere to draw the line. In this thread though, some people seem to think Sony created society as we know it :).

Now we're getting into the realm of 'everything is a copy of something else'

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Its fun thread, but I still wait for some actual GAME to be shown as an example of Sony innovations in GAMING... Sadly, sony fans don't even mention games here... ((

mysticwolf said:

Now we're getting into the realm of 'everything is a copy of something else'

well, most things are a copy, the question is where we draw the line and call it an innovation. Would you say that 32MB cartridges were an innovation or a development upon previous cartridge sizes? Compare that to an entirely new medium, from cartridge to CD to streaming. Those are different medium that affected the gaming landscape radically. I would say that adding a second analogue stick was highly innovative since it radically changed the way we play games. Adding extra shoulder button is only a refinment, kind of like how MS added rumble in triggers for X1.