By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda U - Wii remote or Wii U Gamepad?

Tagged games:

I'd rather they built the next Zelda to be played with...

A Wii Remote Plus 44 17.74%

The Wii U Gamepad 142 57.26%

Wii U Pro Controller. Don... 62 25.00%

Total:248
tolu619 said:
RCTjunkie said:
Either would be okay with me, but my lazy self is secretly hoping for gamepad after Skyward Sword only let me play an hour or so at a time before my puny muscles tired out.

Didn't you guys play Red Steel 2 or any of the No More Heroes games? Those worked my wrists so hard that Skyward Sword was a walk in the park to me (in terms of strain on the arms from motion)

Yeah. I don't honeslty get how people can get tired from a lot of other games. I played Dragonball Z BT3 daily for 6 hours. And that game you actually do crazy shit.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
Experimental42 said:
You could also just use Z-targeting and make the right analog stick act like the hf blade in MGR:R. Then you can control where link strikes with lightning quick speed and more accuracy. You get the same feel without the retarded arm flailing.

I knew someone would bring this up sooner or later. If they can actually pull it off well, then it means they'll be able to use all 3 control schemes. If that happens, everyone's happy and we can each stick to our favorite.

As for those asking why they can't just use all 3, I explained why in an earlier post. Many of the things the motion controls allowed woukd be impossible or frustrating to do with classic controls.

Not impossible. You have the team build all the mechanics for all the controllers into the game. You choose this controller. This version of the puzzle is used. Not - adapt the motion controlled puzzle to buttons. It requires extra diesgns for each puzzle. But Nintendo built the system to use 3 controller types. They have to deal with that.

Example: To get into a room with the Pad. You use the screen and accelrometer to aim and scan for things like cracks. Then use bombs. The Wii remote uses the Bow to hit moving targets. The Pro controller has to touch buttons in a certain order. Different puzzle types. Same thing to do. Open a door. The game has to be adaptable to alternate puzzles. This also adds replayablity.

If I were Nintendo, I'd be like y'all better buy the hell out of this game or we're never making THIS much effort to please all the different parties again! Actually, this sounds viable but I doubt they'd put in that much effort.

Than the system shouldn't support 3 control schemes. If they don't want to put in the effort.

Most of their games support 2 control schemes and many support 3 but that's because the level/tracks/combat or whatever is identical regardless of the control method the player chooses. What you're suggesting is actually making different puzzles or slightly different versions of the same puzzle for the different control methods. I've thought of a middle ground though. Games like Trine 2 usually have multiple solutions to the same puzzle. If they did that in Zelda U, but certain solutions are only available with certain control options, then I guess it wouldn't be so much extra work to support all 3 control schemes.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7530/gohansupersaiyan239du.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://www.deviantart.com/download/109426596/Shippuden_Team_7_by_Tsubaki_chan.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> http://image.hotdog.hu/_data/members0/772/1047772/images/kepek_illusztraciok/Bleach%2520-%2520Ishida%2520Uryuu%25201.jpg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

3DS: tolu619

Wii U: FoyehBoys

Vita, PS3 and PS4: FoyehBoys

XBoxOne: Tolu619

Switch: Tolu619

Kugali - We publish comics from all across Africa and the diaspora, and we also push the boundaries of Augmented Reality storytelling. Check us out!

My thread for teaching VGC some Nigerian slangs

tolu619 said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
Experimental42 said:
You could also just use Z-targeting and make the right analog stick act like the hf blade in MGR:R. Then you can control where link strikes with lightning quick speed and more accuracy. You get the same feel without the retarded arm flailing.

I knew someone would bring this up sooner or later. If they can actually pull it off well, then it means they'll be able to use all 3 control schemes. If that happens, everyone's happy and we can each stick to our favorite.

As for those asking why they can't just use all 3, I explained why in an earlier post. Many of the things the motion controls allowed woukd be impossible or frustrating to do with classic controls.

Not impossible. You have the team build all the mechanics for all the controllers into the game. You choose this controller. This version of the puzzle is used. Not - adapt the motion controlled puzzle to buttons. It requires extra diesgns for each puzzle. But Nintendo built the system to use 3 controller types. They have to deal with that.

Example: To get into a room with the Pad. You use the screen and accelrometer to aim and scan for things like cracks. Then use bombs. The Wii remote uses the Bow to hit moving targets. The Pro controller has to touch buttons in a certain order. Different puzzle types. Same thing to do. Open a door. The game has to be adaptable to alternate puzzles. This also adds replayablity.

If I were Nintendo, I'd be like y'all better buy the hell out of this game or we're never making THIS much effort to please all the different parties again! Actually, this sounds viable but I doubt they'd put in that much effort.

Than the system shouldn't support 3 control schemes. If they don't want to put in the effort.

Most of their games support 2 control schemes and many support 3 but that's because the level/tracks/combat or whatever is identical regardless of the control method the player chooses. What you're suggesting is actually making different puzzles or slightly different versions of the same puzzle for the different control methods. I've thought of a middle ground though. Games like Trine 2 usually have multiple solutions to the same puzzle. If they did that in Zelda U, but certain solutions are only available with certain control options, then I guess it wouldn't be so much extra work to support all 3 control schemes.

That idea works great as well.

archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
Experimental42 said:

What makes you think every game should support every control method?  Consoles should support multiple control methods so that the developer can chose the one that is right for their particular game.

We are certainly not going to see the Balance Board as a control method for Zelda, and I am 100% ok with that.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I really REALLY like the Wiimote+Nunchuck setup for games, it's the comfiest default control scheme ever created what I'm concerned, but I want to see what they can do with the GamePad.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
archer9234 said:
tolu619 said:
Experimental42 said:

What makes you think every game should support every control method?  Consoles should support multiple control methods so that the developer can chose the one that is right for their particular game.

We are certainly not going to see the Balance Board as a control method for Zelda, and I am 100% ok with that.

The balance board isn't a controller. It's an accessory. And why shouldn't all games. Bare minimum should always be pro and gamepad.

Yeah the gamepad does make that a lot easier. 

Consoles owned: Wii U wii gamecube DS DS lite DSi 3DS Xbox 360 Gameboy Gameboy color Gameboy advance Gameboy Advance sp Gameboy micro and PC. 

Also more 3rd party support would help the wii U sell. It doesn't have horrible 3rd party support but if it had more I could see more people buying it if the developers did cool and awesome things with the gamepad

Consoles owned: Wii U wii gamecube DS DS lite DSi 3DS Xbox 360 Gameboy Gameboy color Gameboy advance Gameboy Advance sp Gameboy micro and PC. 

Gamepad/Pro Controller

I fucking hate the Wii Mote with a passion

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
archbrix said:
The Gamepad implementation with Wind Waker HD (assigning items with the swipe of your finger, map display, etc) was an absolutely wonderful experience; my favorite use of the controller so far, in fact. That's exactly what I want with Zelda U.

Pretty much. Nothing more to say.