By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO Apologizes for Controversial Comments About Women

People are so easily offended. God, we are raising a country full of pussies.

That said, that advice is awful but nothing to apologize for.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
bubblegamer said:

He said women shouldn't ask for a raise. It was on the news even lol. Microsoft is PR handicapped in all devisions, not just the gaming one.

Yay... didn't take long for someone to make a console warzzzz dig even out of something as trivial as this.

At least Satya can spell.

Oh look a correction nazi! Because everyone in this world speaks english as a first language and never uses smartphones to type something. Oh and console warzz? Get your mind out of the gutter, that comment says more about you.

Hmm, there wasn't anything controversial said, but it's pretty bad advice though. Good karma to not ask for a raise? In many situations the employee may be truly due a raise and has been overlooked, so obviously the right advice is if you think you (actually) deserve one but didn't get one, then you should ask.

My 8th gen collection

Satya Nadella now says he was wrong to say that women shouldn't ask for a raise.

Only he didn't say that at all. The outrage industry is fucking tiresome.

Somewhere along the lines of human evolution, the "I disagree with you" and "I am offended" became synonymous.

Around the Network

Hm, he didn't say that at all, it was his general advice to all employees.

I smell another SJW bullshit.

badgenome said:
Satya Nadella now says he was wrong to say that women shouldn't ask for a raise.

Only he didn't say that at all. The outrage industry is fucking tiresome.

If he didnt say it then why did he say sorry for saying it? :S

Thanks jlmurph!

I'm black and I live in Georgia. I was dirt poor as a kid http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=48992 . A lot of people in my area like to talk about how society has held them back and how other people have gotten ahead based on whatever. Meanwhile I never went to college, worked hard at every job I ever had (even building mobile homes for $5 and hour after I got out of the Air Force) and kept a positive attitude. I'm making four times the average income for my area. When people talk about being held down by some glass ceiling, I just can't relate to it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist. I'm not saying there is no disparity between genders/race/penis size. I'm just saying that I never thought twice about it, never considered myself any type of victim, and I'm doing just fine. I guess I'm lucky.

kowenicki said:
kitler53 said:
honestly,. i think this is pretty insulting to any employee (not just women). what he's really asking is that you never demand to be payed for the value of the work you do but hope that at some point the company will recognize your hard work and someday get around to properly paying you.

...i've worked for both big and small companies and i know very first hand how far big companies will go to ensure people are compensated at little as possible. the "karma" thing can kind of work at a small company were relationships are very personal but when dealing with a big corporate HR the entire system is built to keep you down.

You may be right, although I personally dont think you are and that you are at best using a sweeping generalisation.... but that doesnt make what he said "insulting", it makes it bad advice.  I have worked for large corporations when I was starting out where I have asked for pay rises and others where they were just offered to me.

If you or anyone is insulted by this then I suggest getting some perspective and not being so fragile. 

my statements aren't a sweeping generalization,.. they are specific to my time at GE.

it's my feeling after being told i am getting a "promotion" because the buisness needs me to do a specific role and i'm my skills are soo valueable but then also being told we can't offer you a raise right now because HR's goals and objectives are to lower payroll by 15%.   ..we can reconsider next year.   ..maybe.

it's my feelings after watching 10% of my division getting layed off despite our 29% profit margin and then being told i have to take on extra responsibilites to compensate for our holes in staffing even if that means working well over a 40 hour week.

it's my feelings after having a stagnat wage for 5 years because "times are rough" and we need to "protect the company".

it's my feeling after hearing from my ex-collegues that they were required to work through their xmas vacation (without comp days) last year or they would be put on a performance improvement plan because last year was a "all hands on deck" sort of year.  

...in the end i left and in doing so i got a 46% raise.    so in summary,.. fuck GE.   i'm soo much happier now that i'm out of that abusive employee environment.  it's all the sweeter that i left for the competition and over the last year took ~20% of their business with me (not GE obviously,. just my division).

d21lewis said:
I'm black and I live in Georgia. I was dirt poor as a kid http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=48992 . A lot of people in my area like to talk about how society has held them back and how other people have gotten ahead based on whatever. Meanwhile I never went to college, worked hard at every job I ever had (even building mobile homes for $5 and hour after I got out of the Air Force) and kept a positive attitude. I'm making four times the average income for my area. When people talk about being held down by some glass ceiling, I just can't relate to it.

I'm not saying that it doesn't exist. I'm not saying there is no disparity between genders/race/penis size. I'm just saying that I never thought twice about it, never considered myself any type of victim, and I'm doing just fine. I guess I'm lucky.

hopefully i'm not being racist here but...

...hearing you are black is blowing my mind.   i've just always pictured you as a zapp braniganns look-a-like in real life.