By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO Apologizes for Controversial Comments About Women

I do not see what was wrong in the first comment... This world we are living in... This world...

Around the Network

kitler53 said:

hopefully i'm not being racist here but...

...hearing you are black is blowing my mind.   i've just always pictured you as a zapp braniganns look-a-like in real life.

Lol! Nah.  Used to happen all the time.  I remember when I first came on the site and said something about people in baggy pants or something.  Some memeber kept calling me racist and I kept saying "I'M BLACK!!" but the guy didn't believe me. Back when ioi let us post pics on our profile, I even posted pictures of myself.  It's no big deal.  Just not something I dwell on.  EVERYBODY used to think I was Zapp Brannigan back in the good ol' days!

Nothing wrong with what he said, other than that it is bad advice.

I feel lucky that I work at a job where raises come yearly and are based on performance reviews. I have received a good sized raise 6 straight years now due to performance.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

His advice makes sens for people who are exceptional speakers and great leaders naturally. For most people, they have to work really hard to get noticed and have to be much more agressive in communicating their need for better pay.

It is near the end of the end....

jlmurph2 said:
*sigh* doesn't even look like his comment was aimed towards women in the first place. He would have said that about anyone who wants a raise, man or woman. I bet thats how he got to be CEO of MS. He worked hard enough over the years to warrant promotions.

So I just got a raise today from a secret  performance evaluation. Didn't even ask for it!

Around the Network

He said nothing wrong. Some people are just too damn sensitive.

Nadella went on to say that not asking for a raise is "good karma" that would eventually lead a manager to see that the employee is trustworthy and capable of taking on more responsibility.

Or it sends a message they're content and thus less likely to know their value which means the manager can set their value.
I agree with the users who just say its bad advise. It is just out of touch with how the vast majority of companies that dont already have set standards for pay scale work. A lot of places in the medical field will pay X wage for X experience and dont offer raises based on performance so its a moot point in my profession currently. 
A CEO of a huge company saying people not asking for raises is good karma is like the NSA saying trusting the system and not wanting transparency is good karma. 

His advice is for a depression era when jobs are hard to come by. Just be thankful you have a job and maybe through hard work you will get promoted (more than likely you will just get laid off). It is piss poor advice if you ask me. Just work hard and keep your mouth shut and maybe you will get promoted. The whole karma thing is complete bullshit if you ask me.

Sure there are pay scales and time tables that most companies follow to give their employees raises. However, if you want to break free from the 10-35 cent raise each year (not even enough to keep up with inflation) sometimes you gotta speak up instead of hoping your hard work will pay off.

My best advice... If you don't like your job or think you should be paid more then look for another higher paying job (it is also a lot easier to get hired on at another job if you are currently employed). If you get accepted for that job then go back to your employer and tell them hey I got another job that is paying this much more. I wouldn't mind staying here if you are able to at least match the offer of the other job. If they turn the raise down then leave the company for the higher paying job. I did this once and it worked.  They acted like they had to bend over backwards to give me a dollar raise and then told me to keep quiet because I would be making more than the line lead.

There's nothing sexist about what he said. It's just bad advice period.
However, you have to have a functioning brain before you make a decision about whether or not you deserve a raise.
It is unequivocally important to ask. Not asking always puts you at the bottom.

Why is the superpowers part missing? That is the dumbest part of his shitty advice.

"And that, I think, might be one of the additional superpowers that quite frankly women who don’t ask for a raise have, because that’s good karma."