By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft CEO Apologizes for Controversial Comments About Women

Satya probably believes in true equality.

The people who complained about his statement believed in equity.

There's a difference - a marked difference - between the two.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

That is how things work in the tech industry.

DON´T EVER ask for a pay rise, it will only burn you if not with your direct boss with your manager.

Those guys want loyalty and affiance from you to the company.

I learned this in the hard way.

DM235 said:

At that point (especially if you work for a shit company), why wouldn't you just take the offer at the new company?  

Maybe it is just semantics, but I was taught not to ask for a raise, but to ask for a transfer or assignment to another role that pays better.  If your boss thinks you are not qualified for that new role, you ask what training is available or what experience is required to get that new role.

Yea you are right... If it is a shit company then probably best to just leave.  Your transfer idea if you like the company (have good benefits, etc) is also a good idea.  I believe staying silent like the CEO's advice is probably the worst idea.  It is almost offensive just based purely on how dumb the advice is.  If you are silent then that usually makes management think you are okay with your wage and will only garauntee small raises based on company guidelines for raises.  If you want higher pay at a faster rate than what the company raise guidelines are then you have to do something more than staying silent.

On a side note... This article reminds me of the Silicon Valley wage case...

"The workers' case, which follows a 2011 Department of Justice case, claims the companies conspired to not recruit each other's tech talent, hurting the workers' job market and depressing wages.

The companies claim the pay for workers during this period rose and any cooperation between companies didn't hurt employees' pay. "

http://online.wsj.com/articles/judge-rejects-settlement-in-silicon-valley-wage-case-1407528633

(apparently judge rejected settlement due to it being too little of payout (lawyers would have gotten 8 million while affected workers only get 5,000)

So apparently my advice on finding another job first with more income might not work if companies are conspiring with each other.