By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I think it's fairly obvious why PS4 is outselling the competition. Compared to WiiU it has more of the big third-party games that consumers buy, e.g. Madden, Fifa, Battlefield. Compared to Xbox One, it started cheaper and more powerful, and avoided all the negative PR that plagued Microsoft early this generation.

What I don't get, however, is why it's selling SO well. It's almost a year later, and the majority of PS4's best sellers are available on several other platforms, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, and PS3. I don't understand why more people aren't waiting for the library to grow and the price to drop.

People want new things now. It's why androids and iphones sell out over and over again. There's no reason to buy every new phone version. But people masturbate to tech a lot. Doesn't matter if it doesn't have the games. Few people have the patients. Most don't. And to those people. it's the only option. The other consoles are not important at first glance.

Around the Network

well, who knows, let's wait and see after a the 2nd or 3rd year of this generation to have a better idea. Although Sony will stay on top just like it did back in its PS1 & 2 days.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

Turkish said:

Apologies, it's just that a lot of angry people make a quick blog, write some words and submit it on n4g lol.

Apologies accepted! It's just incredible just how low quality these articles are...

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Lol writer completely ignores the fact that the vast majority of gamers are most interested in third party franchises when it comes down to it. If exclusives were critical, Nintendo would be doing dramatically better considering that they have the best in gen8 by a mile so far. But cod, Madden, destiny, fifa, battlefield, gta, yadda is on the big two and that's what the masses want. It just happens that ps4 got the momentum AND a rep for solid value and top performance, and that's the ballgame folks. We can all name systems we liked with great exclusives that were sales failures.

It's also okay to call it like it is. I personally think the WiiU is my favorite of the three due to the games on it, but I also know it is a disaster in real terms. The XB1 is also a failure of magnificent proportions considering what could have been. They spent billions building the brand and earning respect with og xbox, then lost billions again launching the 360 into global prominence. Then they finally achieved solid footholds internationally and dominance in the US/UK.

What did they do with the potential to build 360s marketshare upwards? They committed brand suicide by launching an expensive, 2nd rate performing box with a weird confused messaging and overwhelming stink of arrogance. Whiff.

They could have been on the way to 100m sales this gen, but will be damned lucky to see 50 now.

X1 will be released in tier 3 countries than will blow ps4 out of water! mark some words

Around the Network
FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:
I'm normally too lazy to read articles, but everyone's hugely negative reaction made me want to see just how bad this was. I was disappointed.

Sure it was a bit boring, but I have to agree with the sentiment overall - this PS4 lead, especially in USA, is largely based off the momentum Microsoft created when they shot themselves in the foot with the initial One reveal.

and the ps4 is a better console

It's this type of stupid comment that is the reason for the PS4's sucsess; hype = sales.

"Better" is totally subjective; better for you perhaps, but maybe it's terrible for me and 5 million others...

pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:
I'm normally too lazy to read articles, but everyone's hugely negative reaction made me want to see just how bad this was. I was disappointed.

Sure it was a bit boring, but I have to agree with the sentiment overall - this PS4 lead, especially in USA, is largely based off the momentum Microsoft created when they shot themselves in the foot with the initial One reveal.

It's this type of stupid comment that is the reason for the PS4's sucsess; hype = sales.

"Better" is totally subjective; better for you perhaps, but maybe it's terrible for me and 5 million others...

its better deal with it!

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

FATALITY said:
pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:

its better deal with it!

no snapping and no HDMI in for cable simply makes it not a better console for me at least 

Anfebious said:

I don't mean to imply that PS4's early lead wasn't well-earned; I'm just saying right now, it seems sales are based more on campaigning and potential as opposed to the current reality. The current reality is that both systems are very similar; they both cost the same, they both offer many of the same games, and they're both proving relatively reliable. You could argue all day over the Xbox One's edge in apps versus what many consider a superior service in PlayStation Plus (when compared to Live) but again, those don't completely explain the 2:1 edge.

Bear in mind that these are just observations, which we're all permitted to make. ;)

The PS4 is a lie.

They may be technically similar, but people don't base buying decisions on that.  The PS4 is better in a number of ways: power, looks, size, and arguably in experience too, and for a long time price.  So when people make a buying decision they won't think "well they're almost the same" and then flip a coin to pick one.  The one that's perceived better is picked significantly more, and then there is the network effect.

The PR effect is also really strong.  Some people just don't want to support MS anymore plain and simple.  I was fairly neutral on XB1's original DRM proposals, and originally thinking to get an XB1 this holiday, but MS pissed me off with Tomb Raider and I'm definitely not going to buy an XB1 this holiday because of that PR.  Simple as that, if you tick people off the wrong way they won't buy your product even if they would have otherwise.

My 8th gen collection

binary solo said:
I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be a Jega thread and I came in here looking for a laugh.

THIS.....I was POSITIVE this was a Jega thread adn I got let down lol.

On Topic:

Not a very well written article at all.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23