By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

ICStats said:
Anfebious said:

I don't mean to imply that PS4's early lead wasn't well-earned; I'm just saying right now, it seems sales are based more on campaigning and potential as opposed to the current reality. The current reality is that both systems are very similar; they both cost the same, they both offer many of the same games, and they're both proving relatively reliable. You could argue all day over the Xbox One's edge in apps versus what many consider a superior service in PlayStation Plus (when compared to Live) but again, those don't completely explain the 2:1 edge.

Bear in mind that these are just observations, which we're all permitted to make. ;)

The PS4 is a lie.

They may be technically similar, but people don't base buying decisions on that.  The PS4 is better in a number of ways: power, looks, size, and arguably in experience too, and for a long time price.  So when people make a buying decision they won't think "well they're almost the same" and then flip a coin to pick one.  The one that's perceived better is picked significantly more, and then there is the network effect.

The PR effect is also really strong.  Some people just don't want to support MS anymore plain and simple.  I was fairly neutral on XB1's original DRM proposals, and originally thinking to get an XB1 this holiday, but MS pissed me off with Tomb Raider and I'm definitely not going to buy an XB1 this holiday because of that PR.  Simple as that, if you tick people off the wrong way they won't buy your product even if they would have otherwise.

Pissed you off by helping to publish and work on Tomb Raider?  How come Sony did not piss you off with all the extra content and exclusive alpha/beta?  MS simply has timed DLC which is pretty short.  Sony, this gen, has been straight up buying content that does not get released on the XBO.  Has happened for Watch Dogs, AC4, and Destiny (year long but basically exclusive to ps4 as Destiny will be dead in a year).

Around the Network
Sharpryno said:

its better deal with it!

no snapping and no HDMI in for cable simply makes it not a better console for me at least 

lol

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

FATALITY said:
Sharpryno said:

its better deal with it!

no snapping and no HDMI in for cable simply makes it not a better console for me at least 

lol

?  Those are things I use daily along with voice commands.  

I feel like if I got a ps4 it would be nothing more than a ps3 with better hardware.  Still plan to get it when the games I want come out for it. 

binary solo said:
I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be a Jega thread and I came in here looking for a laugh.

Same :/ It's not even worth our time here...

Sharpryno said:
ICStats said:
Anfebious said:

I don't mean to imply that PS4's early lead wasn't well-earned; I'm just saying right now, it seems sales are based more on campaigning and potential as opposed to the current reality. The current reality is that both systems are very similar; they both cost the same, they both offer many of the same games, and they're both proving relatively reliable. You could argue all day over the Xbox One's edge in apps versus what many consider a superior service in PlayStation Plus (when compared to Live) but again, those don't completely explain the 2:1 edge.

Bear in mind that these are just observations, which we're all permitted to make. ;)

The PS4 is a lie.

They may be technically similar, but people don't base buying decisions on that.  The PS4 is better in a number of ways: power, looks, size, and arguably in experience too, and for a long time price.  So when people make a buying decision they won't think "well they're almost the same" and then flip a coin to pick one.  The one that's perceived better is picked significantly more, and then there is the network effect.

The PR effect is also really strong.  Some people just don't want to support MS anymore plain and simple.  I was fairly neutral on XB1's original DRM proposals, and originally thinking to get an XB1 this holiday, but MS pissed me off with Tomb Raider and I'm definitely not going to buy an XB1 this holiday because of that PR.  Simple as that, if you tick people off the wrong way they won't buy your product even if they would have otherwise.

Pissed you off by helping to publish and work on Tomb Raider?  How come Sony did not piss you off with all the extra content and exclusive alpha/beta?  MS simply has timed DLC which is pretty short.  Sony, this gen, has been straight up buying content that does not get released on the XBO.  Has happened for Watch Dogs, AC4, and Destiny (year long but basically exclusive to ps4 as Destiny will be dead in a year).

Short lol. GTA IV exp packs weren't short. People usually don't equate DLC towards a full game being blocked.

Around the Network
FATALITY said:
pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:
I'm normally too lazy to read articles, but everyone's hugely negative reaction made me want to see just how bad this was. I was disappointed.

Sure it was a bit boring, but I have to agree with the sentiment overall - this PS4 lead, especially in USA, is largely based off the momentum Microsoft created when they shot themselves in the foot with the initial One reveal.

and the ps4 is a better console

It's this type of stupid comment that is the reason for the PS4's sucsess; hype = sales.

"Better" is totally subjective; better for you perhaps, but maybe it's terrible for me and 5 million others...

its better deal with it!

Much like you probably think Justin Beaber is "better" than the Rolling Stones...

It takes all types I guess... to each his own.

Sharpryno said:
FATALITY said:
pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:
I'm normally too lazy to read articles, but everyone's hugely negative reaction made me want to see just how bad this was. I was disappointed.

Sure it was a bit boring, but I have to agree with the sentiment overall - this PS4 lead, especially in USA, is largely based off the momentum Microsoft created when they shot themselves in the foot with the initial One reveal.

and the ps4 is a better console

It's this type of stupid comment that is the reason for the PS4's sucsess; hype = sales.

"Better" is totally subjective; better for you perhaps, but maybe it's terrible for me and 5 million others...

its better deal with it!

Nice.

Rear USB makes Xbox better for me

pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:

its better deal with it!

Much like you probably think Justin Beaber is "better" than the Rolling Stones...

in this case it would an opinion. which in my opinion both are garbage.

now about ps4 vs xbone u just have to deal with it

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

FATALITY said:
pockethamster said:
FATALITY said:

its better deal with it!

in this case it would an opinion. which in my opinion both are garbage.

now about ps4 vs xbone u just have to deal with it

Your opinion means nothing

The PS4's late sales lead is going to be pinned on smoke and mirrors as well