By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4's Early Sales Lead Might Be All Smoke and Mirrors

Tagged games:

Well... you can consider it smoke and mirrors since in a sense that even Shu Yoshida doesn't know why the PS4 is selling well. It's also smoke and mirrors in a sense that MS won't reveal sales-to-consumers figures.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
I could have written that article, but the tittle choice was a little missleading.

The real mistery is why PS4 is supose to be doing that great in Europe (twice the Wii 2007 numbers), and may be rest of the world. And why XOne is suposely bitting the dust on those regions.

The NPD data gives us only less than 800k advantage for the PS4, and similar number with Japan. 70% of PS4 advantage is in Europe which has been historicaly about 40% of WW market.

Its really encouraging that you are starting to accept the fact that the gap is a real thing, and it is growing.

About a month ago, the gap was "only 700k-750k" now "only less than 800k". Granted, your deliberate misunderstanding of the Japanese market equating the sales gap there as being minimal, when in reality a gap of a couple hundred thousand is equivalent to a couple million here in the states is expected. However, you'll eventually give up on the gap, and the hope that the XB1 will close it just like Microsoft has given up on announcing XB1 sales numbers, even Globally in the US.

There is no need to wonder about they mystery of the PS4 selling better than the XB1 because it is almost established fact right now, and nothing short of a manufacturing failure, bankrupty of Sony, or a total recall of PS4s will make change that. It is futile unless you wish to rustle your jimmies.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

After reading this article and Polygon's about Destiny's "troubled launch", I just decided to:
a) Slap myself unconscious for wasting tiome on such crap
b) stop reading articles from "gaming" websites completely, as it is obvious that a vast majority of writers are complete idiots, and I really cannot waste more time in seeking the few that are not

Time to concentrate on playing games, instead of reading dumb stories about them.

Denial is a hell of a drug.

TheWPCTraveler said:
"All smoke and mirrors"

Nah, Sony is dominating the same way they did with the PS2.

This.  

This Gen will be almost like PS2 VS GameCube and XBox.  In the Global is GAME OVER.

And that article is garbage.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Aerys said:
Looks like an article made by a child who doesnt understand how the industry works and ignore a lot of things on purpose.

Reminds me of the episode the the big bang when he had to choose between ps4 and X1. Tehy purposely left out a lot of facts to make it seem like the choice would be so hard. When in reality someone like Sheldon would hear that he has 8GB DDR5 and more powerful GPU and that's the choice he would make. In fact someone like Sheldon would just have both they're gaming nerds, well nerds in general.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:
I could have written that article, but the tittle choice was a little missleading.

The real mistery is why PS4 is supose to be doing that great in Europe (twice the Wii 2007 numbers), and may be rest of the world. And why XOne is suposely bitting the dust on those regions.

The NPD data gives us only less than 800k advantage for the PS4, and similar number with Japan. 70% of PS4 advantage is in Europe which has been historicaly about 40% of WW market.

Its really encouraging that you are starting to accept the fact that the gap is a real thing, and it is growing.

About a month ago, the gap was "only 700k-750k" now "only less than 800k". Granted, your deliberate misunderstanding of the Japanese market equating the sales gap there as being minimal, when in reality a gap of a couple hundred thousand is equivalent to a couple million here in the states is expected. However, you'll eventually give up on the gap, and the hope that the XB1 will close it just like Microsoft has given up on announcing XB1 sales numbers, even Globally in the US.

There is no need to wonder about they mystery of the PS4 selling better than the XB1 because it is almost established fact right now, and nothing short of a manufacturing failure, bankrupty of Sony, or a total recall of PS4s will make change that. It is futile unless you wish to rustle your jimmies.

I think you are confusing my words with other users.

But I don´t want to make my post to long having to add all the time "Accordinto to VGChartz", "According to NPD leaks"... etc.

Sony said they sold 10mi, a figure that VGChartz was way far off at that time. No one expected that, even Neogaf, that banned VGChartz numbers, that annoucement was a surprise. Why would you think that they are accurated with XOne numbers?

Let´s shippments tell their history. 

PS: NPD "leaks" at NeoGaf before the "official leak" of July were pointing that the PS4 advantage to be bigger than 750K back in June. So, the numbers after that could again be off.

FATALITY said:
Aj_habfan said:
I'm normally too lazy to read articles, but everyone's hugely negative reaction made me want to see just how bad this was. I was disappointed.

Sure it was a bit boring, but I have to agree with the sentiment overall - this PS4 lead, especially in USA, is largely based off the momentum Microsoft created when they shot themselves in the foot with the initial One reveal.

and the ps4 is a better console

But that's an opinion, not a fact. To most people, like this article, the opinion is that the PS4 is a better console. I personally disagree (since my view is the Wii U is the better console), but that's my opinion. You can throw in facts all you want, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, one game on PS4 held my attention, 9 so far on the Wii U. Your overall satisfaction is the final determiner of what console is better. 

There is a point of this article that I agree with, Sony came in all smoke and mirrors. Whether they can capitalize on that (financially or otherwise) is beyond my personal understanding.

Dark_Feanor said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Dark_Feanor said:

I think you are confusing my words with other users.

But I don´t want to make my post to long having to add all the time "Accordinto to VGChartz", "According to NPD leaks"... etc.

Sony said they sold 10mi, a figure that VGChartz was way far off at that time. No one expected that, even Neogaf, that banned VGChartz numbers, that annoucement was a surprise. Why would you think that they are accurated with XOne numbers?

Let´s shippments tell their history. 

PS: NPD "leaks" at NeoGaf before the "official leak" of July were pointing that the PS4 advantage to be bigger than 750K back in June. So, the numbers after that could again be off.

The only person talking about shipments is Microsoft.

There is no longer any denial of the gap and that the gap is growing. If that's happening during the drought, then at best for the XB1, it will remain constant. This is regardless of who is doing the tracking, leadking etc.

Not to mention the 10million number has little to do with America, unless of course, we are talking about Globally in the US.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

It's just an editorial, people, calm down. After reading the article, which is largely inoffensive, I was very surprised at the angry reactions.

The truth is, it really is kind of smoke and mirrors, as the differences between the XO and PS4, relative to the usage of the average consumer, is somewhat marginal. Most people out there are going to have identical experiences on Madden or CoD.

However, "smoke and mirrors" can have an extremely powerful effect on perception. Even the perception that one is "winning" and another is "losing" can have an impact on which device an individual consumer might choose.

The fact is, the PS4 "won" a lot of categories initially, which allowed them to build a substantial amount of positive momentum. Microsoft, on the other hand, stumbled out of the blocks, giving them negative momentum. The combination of those two factors, plus the PS4 having an edge in other considerations such as price and performance, created an impression with the general public that the difference between the two consoles is greater than it really is.

Remember, the average consumer tends to think in absolutes, and is easily swayed by such terms. "More powerful" might only be a difference of a few horsepower but the term itself stirs something in people that is hard to overcome. Many people aren't going to ask about the real-world difference, they're simply going to be content that one is "more powerful" than the other. The same can be said of "more popular", which is actually a factor a substantial number of consumers value greatly.

I think that, among average consumers, those who depend on others for information, both the advantages of the PS4 and the disadvantages of the XO have been magnified somewhat. It seems fair to me to call this "smoke and mirrors", as that phrase refers to tricks of perception. That doesn't mean those factors aren't real, just that they've grown beyond reality, much the way a fish that got away grows with each retelling of the tale.